Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th February 2023, 06:19 PM   #31
ariel

Quote:
Originally Posted by milandro View Post

Most probably its quality of execution far out-performs function.
This is absolutely true. But knives/daggers varied in their sophistication and quality of execution depending on the status of their owner.
A garden variety Misericorde dagger was just kind of narrow stabbing blade with a minimalistic handle. But a rich man could have ordered a " work of art".
Attached Images

ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2023, 06:59 PM   #32
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel View Post
Here are 2 images of quill sharpening. The size of the sharpeners is quite consistent with the example posted here: full size handles and small blades.

I could not find images of Oriental quill sharpening. But I kind of agree with Milandro: while generally knives were created with a specific function in mind but in real life could have been used for many functions.
Agree ... and disagree. Maybe instead of referring to the size i should have mentioned shape. To say that the blade curvature of Dmitry's example excludes the possibility of being a multiuse device and basically points to a specific purpose; pruning or the like.
... And sorry Dmitry for polluting your thread .

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 15th February 2023 at 07:39 PM.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2023, 07:05 PM   #33
kai

Hello Ariel,

Quote:
Here are 2 images of quill sharpening. The size of the sharpeners is quite consistent with the example posted here: full size handles and small blades.
For sharpening quills one would like an as thin blade as possible. The blade shown by Dmitry looks quite substantial.

For ease of sharpening the blade, a sheepsfoot blade would be perfect or at least a straight edge. This concave edge would need way more effort to keep the blade razor sharp!

The heavy hilt will also not help fine cutting tasks.

As already mentioned, it's certainly correct though that in such status pieces form does not always strictly follow function (if any).

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2023, 08:27 PM   #34
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando View Post
... And sorry Dmitry for polluting your thread .
Hello, fernando

No apologies. I am very interested in reading various interesting versions. Thank you and the rest of the contributors to this thread.
mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2023, 08:31 PM   #35
mahratt

By the way, I asked the same question on the Russian forum. One of the participants in the topic said that it would be very convenient to peel a pomegranate fruit with such a knife.
Old 15th February 2023, 08:36 PM   #36
fernando

I know a better system; my wife pills them for me with bare hands ... and i devour the seeds .
Old 15th February 2023, 09:01 PM   #37
milandro

Wink

cheers,
milandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2023, 05:24 AM   #38
mahratt

Quote:
I know a better system; my wife pills them for me with bare hands ... and i devour the seeds .
This is a great option! Undoubtedly better than the proposed))
Old 16th February 2023, 01:07 PM   #39
Interested Party

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahratt View Post
By the way, I asked the same question on the Russian forum. One of the participants in the topic said that it would be very convenient to peel a pomegranate fruit with such a knife.
I've seen pomegranates cut that way and use that method myself. the knife I use and have seen others use is a pruning knife. Which leads me back to my comment #13, a rich man's garden knife. the right shape but too highly decorated and costly for any regular work.

I guess it could be a table knife just for pomegranates, but it still seems expensive for that with wootz, walrus, and gold inlay. A status piece of some sort.
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2023, 01:50 PM   #40
Teisani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Party View Post
...Which leads me back to my comment #13, a rich man's garden knife. the right shape but too highly decorated and costly for any regular work.
I lean towards this as well, the short, concave side edge lends itself to this function. I can imagine a rich man strolling through his garden and picking a fruit or flower from a tree with this.
Teisani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2023, 04:39 PM   #41
David R

I am now inclined to it being a pen cutter, for a traditional reed pen. That hooked end would be excellent for cutting the nib.... A Koranic scribe is high class enough for that sort of tool.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2023, 05:27 PM   #42
fernando

Looks like they all use straight blades .

Attached Images

Old 18th February 2023, 08:19 AM   #43
milandro

quill cutters are generally straight there is really no need to cut pulling toward oneself (which is instead suggested by de hawkbill shape), in fact the name pen knife is the name left to this day and indicating generally a folding knife of a small size which a blade initially meant to do that, from the function of cutting quills

( the latin for quill is penna where the name from" pen" comes from)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penknife

this blade suggests the need to cut pulling towards the cutter or to make a round motion with the cut (as in when you want to do some types of, draft as in putting two pieces of plant one into the other)
Old 18th February 2023, 09:30 AM   #44
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by milandro View Post
...( the latin for quill is penna where the name from" pen" comes from)...
In Portuguese, "pena", as also for feather .

Last edited by fernando; 18th February 2023 at 09:46 AM.
Old 18th February 2023, 10:02 AM   #45
milandro

yes, in many languages feather in Latin (pluma) is the root of the French word for pen, Plume
Old 18th February 2023, 11:59 AM   #46
fernando

Quote:
Looks like they all use straight blades ...
Unless we are talking about the 'mechanized' system, with their luxury versions. I know i have approached this in my post #28 ... but never get tired to show this beautiful thing. Sorry guys .

Attached Images

Old 19th February 2023, 12:02 AM   #47
ariel

The overall configuration of the blade of a pen knife is largely irrelevant: all it needs is to have a thin and sharp blade and a sharp point to make a slit in the tip of the pen.
In fact, the edge on that knife is either straight or minimally concave. Either, or especially the latter, will be very convenient for the task. Oriental cutlers were artistically more inventive than their European colleagues: witness the fancy blunt side with golden decorations: both are absolutely unnecessary for any cutting function but are very pretty. Reed pen, quill pen,- the principle is the same: they need re-sharpening, i.e. re-newing the tip.

As to peeling apples, pomegranates or oranges ( alas, not being grown in Central Asia), that's what servants are for:-)
Old 19th February 2023, 10:36 AM   #48
fernando

Quote:
The overall configuration of the blade of a pen knife is largely irrelevant: all it needs is to have a thin and sharp blade and a sharp point to make a slit in the tip of the pen.
In fact, the edge on that knife is either straight or minimally concave. Either, or especially the latter, will be very convenient for the task. Oriental cutlers were artistically more inventive than their European colleagues: witness the fancy blunt side with golden decorations: both are absolutely unnecessary for any cutting function but are very pretty. Reed pen, quill pen,- the principle is the same: they need re-sharpening, i.e. re-newing the tip...
Vicit ... sed non persuasum .

Quote:
...As to peeling apples, pomegranates or oranges ( alas, not being grown in Central Asia), that's what servants are for:-)
Possibly servants were also used to resharpen quills . Talking of extremisms, i have once read that their tongues were used to wet the post stamps of their masters during colonialism.
Old 20th February 2023, 09:25 AM   #49
Gavin Nugent

Olufsen noted that the pichoq attached in pairs were often used by the cooks in prominent families.

This is certainly from a person/family of standing to afford such a piece, and perhaps it too was used in the kitchen and is a bird's beak paring knife.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2023, 11:53 PM   #50
Oliver Pinchot

Not for quils but for kamish, the reed or bamboo used for calligraphy.
Oliver Pinchot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2023, 09:53 AM   #51
fernando

Watch how it is regularly done, and the knife blade profile... by an Islamic expert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdE8ihW5qbs

As already approached, admiting that Dmitry's example serves the same purpose, implies that the maker was clearly giving wings to his imagination; even assuming he is Asian ... and ergonomics apart.

Attached Images

Old 22nd February 2023, 01:48 AM   #52
ariel

There are as many ways to sharpen the reed pen ( Oliver, thanks!) than skin the cat:-)))