Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 14th March 2014, 07:50 PM   #1
Marcus den toom

Default English civil war lead powder cap

Most of us probably have seen the wooden powder flasks hanging from a belt (a bandolier). These powder flask contained an exact amount of black powder for one single shot.
I came across this item, a lead powder cap for such a wooden powder flask. It had originally 2 rings as did the powder flask a cord was knotted to these two parts so to prevent them from beeing seperated.

This example was found at a digging site at Newark, England. It dates most likely to the English civil war and is in quit a good condition, considering the structural integrity of lead.
Lead was, due to the Derbyshire lead mines, a common ore in England and was used for all sorts of things, like lead glazed windows, during and after the 17th century.
Maybe because of this excessive amount of lead, it was also used as a powder flask end cap, instead of the more common wooden plug?

Marcus den toom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 09:12 PM   #2
Raf

I think I remember reading somewhere that wood caps were prone to jamming because of swelling in damp conditions , hence lead or pewter caps were a preferred alternative.
Raf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2014, 09:21 PM   #3
Marcus den toom

Hi Raf,

I think you have a good point right there, especially when you think about the weather conditions in England.
As far as i can grasp, the lead end caps are mostly found in England. Other countries more to the south are generally less damp thus a wooden plug might work better.
Marcus den toom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 11:14 AM   #4
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi Marcus and Raf,

Here is another British instance of a leaden cap for a powder measure from a bandelier, and one of the powder measures on one of my perfectly preserved bandeliers from the Emden armory is completely made of lead, not just the cap, and all covered with black leather; the other measures are all made of wood.

I guess I should also point out once more what I wrote on bandeliers in my thread, post #8:
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...27s+bandoliers
The earliest powder measures for arquebusier's bandeliers in the 15th c., according to sources of period artwork like the Bavarian Landshuter Zeughausinventar (armory inventory) of 1485 where they are called 'hultzein ladung' (wooden load container), consisted of drilled wood shaped in a lathe. By the early-16th c., the measures for each load on arquebusier's bandeliers were mostly made of tinned iron, as the tapestries with scenes from the Battle of Pavia, 1525, depict.

Best,
Michael
Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 15th March 2014 at 01:00 PM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 12:01 PM   #5
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Some close-ups of the - highly fragile! - tinned-iron powder measures on my early-16th c. bandelier, and some unique late-15th c. brass caps from such measures, figured, embossed and pierced with Late Gothic tracery and lettering in Gothic minuscules; the script on one samplle seems to read 'maria'. They are all from my collection!

For details on early-16th c. bandeliers, please see also

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ght=bandeliers

http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...ght=bandoliers

and

At bottom, two details from Melchior Feselen's painting The Battle of Alesia, dated 1533, depicting arquebusiers wearing bandeliers with small metal powder containers/measures.

m
Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 15th March 2014 at 01:45 PM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2014, 12:38 PM   #6
Martin Moser

Truly amazing pictures, Michael! I love the details, which I have been able to get a view of so far. Some of these are in your collection you say? Wow!
Can you tell perhaps how the leather is attached to the apostles? Glued or sewn on or a combination of both?
Martin Moser is offline   Reply With Quote