Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th June 2023, 09:56 PM   #1
Gustav

Looks like a Keris from Jitar.
(Which means Djeno or his relatives, but this really looks like Djeno or Yosopangarso.)

High quality indeed.
Perhaps except for the Mendak, but the fit of it is good.

Last edited by Gustav; 8th June 2023 at 10:49 PM.
Gustav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2023, 11:03 PM   #2
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
Looks like a Keris from Jitar.
(Which means Djeno or his relatives, but this really looks like Djeno or Yosopangarso.)

High quality indeed.
Perhaps except for the Mendak, but the fit of it is good.
Wow, Gustav, you have a very good eye!

This keris was ordered 1990 by Dietrich Drescher by Djeno and when I remember correctly 5 years later finished and fetched by Wolfgang Spielmann and was until his death in his possession. The wrongko is from cendana but by carving a little fault pops up so it gets its sunggingan.
Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2023, 11:52 PM   #3
A. G. Maisey

Yes Detlef, I have noticed this thread, but I cannot really contribute much.

In 1990 the man who was recognised as probably the best sunggingan artist in Solo, and some people believed that he was one of the best of all time, was an artist from Pajang, just next to the rail crossing, his name was Legiman.

I have looked closely at the sunggingan work on this wrongko, and to my eye it does not appear to be Legiman's work.

I have a number of wrongkos that were painted by Legiman, and in fact, he was the only artist that I ever used for sunggingan work. When his eyesight started to go I stopped ordering from him, and any sunggingan work I acquired after that was not bespoke, but purchased from a dealer.

I am uncertain if Legiman was still working at his best at around 1995, when it seems that this keris was dressed, but if the work was not done by Legiman, I would have no hope of identifying who might have done it.

I do not know who might have painted this wrongko, nor who might have made the wrongko itself.

The keris itself certainly does look like the work of Djeno. I will not comment on this blade because the indicators that I have been taught to use in the appraisal of quality vary very widely from the ideas of collectors in the Western World, & for that matter from the ideas of most people in Indonesia who are outside Solonese society.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2023, 01:30 AM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

It looks like someone has allowed some rust to slip in on the gonjo of this important keris.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2023, 06:09 AM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
It looks like someone has allowed some rust to slip in on the gonjo of this important keris.
Yes, I've noticed this. Wolfgang Spielmann lives his last years on Bali and after his death his wife don't will given this keris the care it needs.
Old 9th June 2023, 12:45 PM   #6
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey View Post
Yes Detlef, I have noticed this thread, but I cannot really contribute much.

In 1990 the man who was recognised as probably the best sunggingan artist in Solo, and some people believed that he was one of the best of all time, was an artist from Pajang, just next to the rail crossing, his name was Legiman.

I have looked closely at the sunggingan work on this wrongko, and to my eye it does not appear to be Legiman's work.

I have a number of wrongkos that were painted by Legiman, and in fact, he was the only artist that I ever used for sunggingan work. When his eyesight started to go I stopped ordering from him, and any sunggingan work I acquired after that was not bespoke, but purchased from a dealer.

I am uncertain if Legiman was still working at his best at around 1995, when it seems that this keris was dressed, but if the work was not done by Legiman, I would have no hope of identifying who might have done it.

I do not know who might have painted this wrongko, nor who might have made the wrongko itself.

The keris itself certainly does look like the work of Djeno. I will not comment on this blade because the indicators that I have been taught to use in the appraisal of quality vary very widely from the ideas of collectors in the Western World, & for that matter from the ideas of most people in Indonesia who are outside Solonese society.
Hello Alan,

My memory regarding the painting can be wrong.
And I know that you have a different view about the work from Djeno.
But I have posted this keris because I think that Dietrich Drescher who ordered this keris plays a great rule that the keris is still alive. And only a few people have seen the work from Djeno, this was my intention.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 9th June 2023, 12:50 PM   #7
Gustav

Detlef, thank you for posting it, without doubt it is a valuable reference.

Do you have information on who did the Wrongko and painting?
Old 9th June 2023, 02:04 PM   #8
A. G. Maisey

You are absolutely right about Dietrich, Detlef.

There would perhaps not have been a keris renaissance had it not been for the involvement of Dietrich.

The story I have is that there was an article published, probably in a German publication that told of Djeno & his brothers who were descendants of one of the last keris makers in Jawa. Dietrich learnt of their existence from this, and then set out to find them.

In 1972 when Dietrich located them he then encouraged them to begin making keris again. Dietrich himself had a lot of theoretical knowledge about pattern welding and he passed this on to Djeno & his brothers. This story came from an American who was also involved in the early days of the revival.

The story I have from a number of Javanese informants is that Dietrich never stopped trying to pass his understandings to Javanese craftsmen. He was unceasingly enthusiastic about informing & advising the pandes he came in contact with.

These are stories. I have them from other people, American & Javanese, I do not know how accurate they are. But it is certain that Dietrich was the catalyst that brought Javanese keris manufacture back to life, everything else flowed from that point.

I have seen five or six keris made by Djeno, several of these were keris that were ordered by various people and that I was asked to collect for them. One was for a gentleman from Malaysia, the others were for people in Europe and one (?) for a gentleman in USA.

Then there is the story of a Canadian professor who ordered a keris from Djeno, & made the mistake of bargaining on the price. He paid the reduced price agreed to after negotiation, Djeno completed the keris & sent it to him. When it arrived in Canada it had a big hole drilled right through the middle. It seems to me --- and to the buyer --- that Djeno removed a part of the finished keris to compensate for the lower price.

Although Dietrich & Djeno are the widely known & acknowledged beginning, there were at least two other people who had made keris in Jawa after the end of WWII and before Djeno began making keris again.

However, Garrett & Bronwen Solyom must not be forgotten. Had it not been for their enthusiasm and efforts in promotion of an understanding of the Javanese keris by way of the exhibition (1978?) at the East-West Center in Hawaii & the catalogue that was published in conjunction with this exhibition ("The World of the Javanese Keris"), the flame that Dietrich lit might have sputtered & died.

Garrett & Bronwen first became aware of the keris in about 1966 and immediately identified this Javanese cultural icon as a fertile field for further research. Garrett's mentor was Panembahan Harjonegoro (Alm.) (at that time his rank was Raden Tumenggung) who was a member of the family that provided the bupatis for Boyolali, he went to school with the man who later became PBXII, & they were life-long friends. Harjonegoro was also instrumental in the support of the keris renaissance.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 9th June 2023 at 10:06 PM. Reason: replace word
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2023, 01:39 AM   #9
JustYS

Other Keris collection of Dietrich Drescher:

https://ificah-blog.com/dietrich-dreschers-collection/
JustYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2023, 08:33 AM   #10
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
Detlef, thank you for posting it, without doubt it is a valuable reference.

Do you have information on who did the Wrongko and painting?
My enjoy Gustav! My memory is stated in #3 but it's just my memory.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 11th June 2023, 09:11 AM   #11
Gustav

Alan, I completely agree, without Dietrich Drescher Ki Yoso and Ki Djeno wouldn't start to make Keris again.

I very well am aware of the meaning of the name Yosocurigo. With family lineage I meant the lineage of Empu family.

I am not sure this name was given by Kraton Jogja. There is a misconception Supowinangun was Empu of Kraton - he wasn't, he was Empu of Kepatihan and his sons were Empu by family descent. I know of no rank given to Yoso by Kraton.

We all know Pak Jimmy very well.

The American - was he sporadically contributing to this Forum a time ago?