Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 17th September 2022, 10:59 PM   #1
tool_of_a_took

Default Looking for info on these Dayak(?) pieces

Hey guys, I recently got these for super cheap in an auction so I’m not expecting them to be anything special. As they don’t seem particularly old I’m assuming they’re tourist pieces. The only reason I’m not 100% sure is because they’re quite plain and I’d expect tourist pieces to be somewhat more decorative. Could these have been made recently for another reason or are they simple tourist pieces?
Attached Images

tool_of_a_took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2022, 03:07 PM   #2
kronckew

Dyak items, I've been told, are generally produced 'plain' and carved by the purchaser to meet his desires (or he hires someone to do it ()
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2022, 02:39 AM   #3
naturalist

Based on my time working in Borneo from 2004 until today. Tools that are used daily, are usually built strong and neat, even though in most cases aren't fancy (sophisticated complex rattan braid and carving). I guess your items, came from someone who was visiting Borneo for a relatively short time, she/he may be asked something memorable. Since to have neat braiding and nice carving will take a relatively long time. That's why the ambang (i guess it falls to ambang instead of Mandau) and the blowpipe in very crude quality of rattan braiding, but i am sure it will work well but may not last long. Tourist items usually are carved with various degrees of quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tool_of_a_took View Post
Hey guys, I recently got these for super cheap in an auction so I’m not expecting them to be anything special. As they don’t seem particularly old I’m assuming they’re tourist pieces. The only reason I’m not 100% sure is because they’re quite plain and I’d expect tourist pieces to be somewhat more decorative. Could these have been made recently for another reason or are they simple tourist pieces?
naturalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2022, 04:27 PM   #4
tool_of_a_took

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalist View Post
Based on my time working in Borneo from 2004 until today. Tools that are used daily, are usually built strong and neat, even though in most cases aren't fancy (sophisticated complex rattan braid and carving). I guess your items, came from someone who was visiting Borneo for a relatively short time, she/he may be asked something memorable. Since to have neat braiding and nice carving will take a relatively long time. That's why the ambang (i guess it falls to ambang instead of Mandau) and the blowpipe in very crude quality of rattan braiding, but i am sure it will work well but may not last long. Tourist items usually are carved with various degrees of quality.
Ah cool, thanks for the firsthand knowledge. Your guess makes a lot of sense. There were some African pieces in the lot as well so I’m guessing the previous owner travelled a lot
tool_of_a_took is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2022, 08:38 PM   #5
asomotif

What rae the measurements of these items ?

Are there darts in the container ?

Best regards,
Willem
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2022, 01:35 PM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Hi t_o_a_t. I agree with naturalist that these look like everyday pieces made for use within the local culture. Not inexpensive decorative items for those who travel. The ambang blade looks solid and well forged, and appears to have been sharpened. The sumpit looks like a sturdy piece too, as does the quiver. Good, everyday useful items. Not very old but genuine articles intended for use.

Sounds like you got a good deal.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blowgun, blowpipe, dayak, mandau, tourist