Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania

Old 4th October 2022, 02:37 AM   #1
JoeCanada42

Default May I get translation assistance please, thanks

got these at a thrift store, seen a couple similar online, called Turkish, ottoman, I figure they could even be African, the beads are of interest to me, the coins seem like billon , sorry I couldn't get better photos.
One piece if I could get a translation for may help with my mystery.
thanks for any help
sorry I couldn't show you a weapon, but I recently acquired these and the mystery is killing me,
Attached Images

JoeCanada42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th December 2022, 05:09 PM   #2
Peter Hudson

Default Islamic Jewellery.

I note some coins in your group display a Tugra which marks them as Ottoman Turkish though they could be reproductions as this was normal.. The beads are likely to be agate or carnelian and often placed in a geometry suggesting a figure 5...and or a figure 3. Your main object illustrates this very well with 5 beads dangling off it and itself the main coin pendant hanging from a necklace with three beads as a joining group and one more bead on the left and another on the right... 3 plus 2 is 5. Th figure 5 is important since it portrays the Islamic concept of The Five Fingers of the Daughter of The Prophet. Sometimes portrayed as a complete hand and sometimes as a geometrical form.
Peter Hudson.
Peter Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2023, 05:52 AM   #3
JoeCanada42

cool stuff, thanks for the info, I thought maybe the beads were a type of old Bakelite like Faturan. I figured the colors were to mimic all the varieties of amber.
Attached Images

JoeCanada42 is offline   Reply With Quote