Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury

Old 10th June 2012, 04:30 PM   #31
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

I also wish to point out another zoomorphic and apotropaic decorative detail: one of the riveted bases on top of the gear box, the one opposite the handle, is carved as a stylized animal's head with an articulated nose, the eyes struck with a prick punch!

m
Attached Images

Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 04:01 PM   #32
Marcus den toom

A great thread, i myself have been tempted a few times by these items like cranequi and crossbows. I never saw such a cranequi from the inside, thank you so much for sharing
I also noticed the little dimples on top of every 'tooth' on the leteral bar, was this purely decoration or had it some kind of function (like lubrication?)

This friend isn't by any change called Crossbow?? (my deepest congratulations to him, his collection and the amazing scenery whatever his name might be )
Marcus den toom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2014, 04:35 PM   #33
Matchlock
(deceased)

I will pass your congratulations but he is very withdrawn about his collection; I realize that what little I posted of it is already too much from his point of view, which of course I fully respect.
Could you mark these 'dimples' on a photo to show me what exactly you mean?

m
Old 18th March 2014, 04:44 PM   #34
Marcus den toom

Thank you Michael and i was talking about these 'dimples' they are probably just for decorative purposes, but their could be little bits of oil in these dimpples which would pass trough the mechanics and oil the gears etc.

Old 18th March 2014, 04:56 PM   #35
Matchlock
(deceased)

Hi Marcus,

I think your guess about the oil is very close to the fact as nearly all cranequins I have seen had these punched dimples.
I will ask my friend. If he does not know, I don't have to know either.

Best,
m
Old 24th June 2014, 11:05 AM   #36
Marcus den toom

Hi Michl,

Did you got an answer from your friend regarding those dimples?

Best,
Marcus
Old 26th June 2014, 01:58 AM   #37
Matchlock
(deceased)

Hi Marcus,

Actually, the owner of this collection of 14th to early 16th century crossbows and accouterments both as highly specific as important has been one of my closest friends for more than two decades. Without his continuous personal private support I would probably not have been able to carry on.
He is an extremely nice person, and so is his family; I feel gratefully rewarded for counting them among my dearest friends.

He insists on stating that he has always regarded me as his teacher, for 'implanting' in his mind the idea of setting up strict criteria for collecting before purchasing the first item - and consequently sticking to them until ... you draw your terminal breath ... (quote from the Monty Pythons movie The Life of Brian, 1979).
His
character is both sensitive and reserved, which I respect at least as much as I admire it - given my extrovert Landsknecht nature ...

About a quarter of a century ago, he started acquiring every single crossbow related item I held - which was exactly what I was hoping for. Having amassed numerous finest preserved items, I finally came to realize that I would not be able to keep pulling the trigger all the way - metaphorically speaking for pursuing collecting crossbows and firearms, and all of them in optimum possible state of preservation.
This saying seems so fitting in its way, and with regard to my aiming at strictly collecting earliest firearms related items.

Anyway, I will soon post his wellfounded thesis on those dot markings found center-punched on the teeth of the toothed bars of many cranequins dating from the first half of the 16th century.

Best,
Michl

Image copyrighted by wikipedia -
I think we are all obliged to correctly and gratefully quote this indispensable source of universal facts.

Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 26th June 2014 at 05:58 AM.
Old 16th January 2015, 05:50 AM   #38
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

I DON'T KNOW WHERE ELSE TO PUT THIS PICTURE OF A MODERN CROSSBOW. PERHAPS IT CAN FIT INTO THIS EXCELLENT POST TO SHOW WHAT THE CROSSBOW HAS EVOLVED INTO AT ITS HIGHEST LEVEL TODAY.
THIS IS A SWISS MADE MATCH CROSSBOW WITH A 125KG PULL, 45 INCHES LONG CIRC. 1970.
Attached Images

VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2019, 02:53 PM   #39
Marcus den toom

Another one delft up from the depths, enjoy (re-)reading this materpiece.

ps the image is somehow converted into a GIF??