Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd March 2019, 03:27 PM   #1
Sajen

Default Small Padsumbalin Panabas

Hello dear forum members,

have won recently a small padsumbalin panabas, it's just 55 cm (21.65") long. I very much doubt that this piece is an agricultural piece. And I never before have seen a small panabas with padsumbalin blade and I think that it is the first one ever shown at this place.
Any comments on this piece?

Regards,
Detlef
Attached Images

Last edited by Robert; 27th March 2019 at 09:57 PM.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2019, 07:09 AM   #2
xasterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
Hello dear forum members,

have won recently a small padsumbalin panabas, it's just 55 cm (21.65") long. I very much doubt that this piece is an agricultural piece. And I never before have seen a small panabas with padsumbalin blade and I think that it is the first one ever shown at this place.
Any comments on this piece?

Regards,
Detlef
Hi sir Detlef,

Nice piece. However I'd like to differ and point out that- consistent with the size and form of traditional panabas being forged nowadays in Maguindanao- this seems to be an agricultural piece. The present-day panabas still bears resemblance to the old ones purportedly used in the battlefield or (I think more likely) for executions; but like many other Mindanao weapons, it's on a smaller scale so that it could better serve as an agricultural tool. Your piece may be the forerunner of the miniaturized versions of panabas today.
Attached Images

xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2019, 10:26 AM   #3
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix
Hi sir Detlef,

Nice piece. However I'd like to differ and point out that- consistent with the size and form of traditional panabas being forged nowadays in Maguindanao- this seems to be an agricultural piece. The present-day panabas still bears resemblance to the old ones purportedly used in the battlefield or (I think more likely) for executions; but like many other Mindanao weapons, it's on a smaller scale so that it could better serve as an agricultural tool. Your piece may be the forerunner of the miniaturized versions of panabas today.
Hi Xas,

First, there is no need to call me Sir, Detlef is enough! I've doubt an agricultural purpose of this piece since there is a engraving near the spine of the blade which would be somewhat unusual for a agricultural tool but like always I could be wrong. It's the first small panabas with a padsumbalin blade I've seen but maybe there are others in the collections of our members!? Or are you have seen such a piece before?

Regards,
Detlef
Old 24th March 2019, 05:28 PM   #4
kino

Here is a mini-Panabas that has a similar blade profile.
OAL = 18.25 in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xasterix

panabas being forged nowadays in Maguindanao
I’m glad that the Panabas’ are still currently manufactured. Are they just sold locally or do they make their way to Cebu or Manila.
Attached Images

kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2019, 07:29 PM   #5
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kino
Here is a mini-Panabas that has a similar blade profile.
OAL = 18.25 in.
Hello Albert,

Thank you for showing your nice example for comparison. It's the first other one I've seen until now.
Is it just my imagination or see I some nicks at the edge? Could this come from gardening? For me are nicks in an edge are a sign of combat use!? Such a small tabas would be very effective and fast in combat.

Regards,
Detlef
Old 25th March 2019, 02:28 AM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

[QUOTE=Sajen]... For me are nicks in an edge are a sign of combat use!? .../QUOTE]

Probably not confirmation of use in combat IMHO. More likely some brittleness in a hardened edge which has chipped when striking something hard--a stone, hard piece of wood or metal, etc. (or even another weapon).
Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2019, 05:09 AM   #7
xasterix

[QUOTE=Ian]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajen
... For me are nicks in an edge are a sign of combat use!? .../QUOTE]

Probably not confirmation of use in combat IMHO. More likely some brittleness in a hardened edge which has chipped when striking something hard--a stone, hard piece of wood or metal, etc. (or even another weapon).
Ian
I second this. The blade can encounter accidents too during gardening
xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2019, 05:51 PM   #8
Sajen

Probably not confirmation of use in combat IMHO. More likely some brittleness in a hardened edge which has chipped when striking something hard--a stone, hard piece of wood or metal, etc. (or even another weapon). [/QUOTE]

Hi Ian,

Yes, for sure there are different reasons for harmed edges, while Stones or metal by blow contact will cause break outs or bending a nick from edge to edge contact has a typical appearance when you look close. A damage from hard wood I hardly doubt, I've chopped some wood in my life, byself rusted nails in chopped wood get cut with no damage to the edge from the axe.
The damage/nicks by the blade in discussion not faultlessly determinable on first view.

Regards,
Detlef

Last edited by Sajen; 29th March 2019 at 07:15 PM.