Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th April 2005, 04:15 AM   #1
Aurangzeb

Default Jambiya

Greetings To All !

Attached are a few pix of a Jambiya that I acquired some time ago. The handle is made of amber, the fittings on it are silver and brass. The blade is sharp and it does not appear to be a 'decorator piece'. A coin embedded in to the handle is from Oman, dated 1961. The design appears to be of a design common in Yemen. Any comments and information on it would be most welcomed and very much appreciated !

Thanks to all of you who have taken the time to help me in the past !

Sincerely,

Mark.... Wapwallopen, PA
Attached Images

Aurangzeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2005, 03:38 AM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Hi Aurangzeb

I have a jambiya much like yours but mine is an older one. I bought mine from Artzi's table at the Maryland show. Artzi thinks it's an old Yemen style jambiya and my friend Saleh who is from Yemen told me it is a style that is found along the border between Oman and Yemen. Here are some pics of my jambiya with a close up of the hilt. The silver is a good grade and is quite heavy. Your jambiya is quite nice and I like the amber hilt

Lew
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2005, 04:02 AM   #3
Aurangzeb

Hi Louieblades!

Thanks for the help on my jambiya I.D. problem.My dagger is definatly no older than 1961.The coin on the hilt was an origenal part of the dagger not a later addition(it is firmly planted on there and nailed through the amber handle out the back where it is fasened with a silver stud in the shape of a flour.) The amber handle on it feels very nice in the hand and is very well carved,definatly not made for decoration! The amber has only minor natural faults in it. The coin is an Muscat & Oman 5-Baisa depicting a dhow.

Question how are these held?I have read that they are held going down sugesting a downword stab but with a curved bade chould glance off and come back at the user.(beleive me accedent involving a curved razor knife and a block of soft wood at 10:00 at night is not fun! )Or outward and is used in a slashing/stabbing motion like a scimitar slash?

Thanks again for the help!
P.S.-any typos are because I am typing this at 11:30 at night!
Old 9th April 2005, 04:44 AM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

Hi Mark

Jambiyas are more for show today and a status symbol in many Arab countries. I guess it could be used as a dagger to slash or stab? The mid rib in the blade was used to stiffen the blade and it also acted as a armor piercer against chain mail but that was hundreds of years ago.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2005, 01:06 PM   #5
Aurangzeb

Hi Louieblades!

Thanks for all the help with my jambiya.I still like the fact that there are still craftsman in Yemen and Oman that practice the age old tradition of quality dagger/sword making.But I can say it must be slightly uncomfortable sitting down with one of these on the front of a belt! Soon I will be adding my Turkish jambiya to this thread.

Thanks again for the help!
Old 9th April 2005, 04:26 PM   #6
Jeff D

Hi Mark,

Is there any way to get a close up of the handle? Amber seems a unlikely material to use. I have heard of giraffe horn or hoof used which looks like amber (I think Derek posted a shotel with a similar grip). I have never seen this myself and wonder if anyone here who has, will comment.

Thanks
Jeff
Jeff D is offline   Reply With Quote