Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Classifieds > Swap Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 26th July 2017, 12:03 PM   #1
kai

Lightbulb Sikin/Peudeueng Peusangan for trade (or sale)

Looking for a partial trade, I am always interested in Indonesian/Malay/Moro high-end pieces. Lesser pieces may also pique my interest, especially if unusual or rare. Send me some pics and let’s discuss (there may also be other pieces available from my collection)!

This is one of the longest swords out of the Indonesian arsenals and known as a status piece from the eastern Aceh and northern Gayo regions. This appears to be a no-nonsense warrior sword, probably originally belonging to a Gayo chief from the Lake Tawar area.

The name of this iconic sword as well as hilt type derives from the Principality of Peusangan at the northeastern tip of the Sumatran coast. The Peusangan River originates as the outlet of Lake Tawar, one of the main centers of Gayo culture and also the hilly tracks of the Peusangan valley were inhabited by the Gayo people.

Classic sabre-type blade with narrow fuller along the back up to where it meets the back edge; a broad fuller along the middle of the blade until the ridge between both fullers and the ridge of the thickened section along the cutting edge join and continue as a central ridge up to the sword tip. Blade with distinct marks from quenching at the base and an integral bolster with reukueng rungiet (guard at each side) and 9-lobed calyx (both typical features of sikin from the greater Aceh region).

The very old hilt (hulu/oelee peusangan) seems to be of a green horn variant with deep patina; it is deeply carved and exhibits some expected wear from long-time handling towards the gaping pommel; a minute part of the lower jaw was already missing during its active use (judging from the even wear & patina); the hollow core of the horn is visible as the roundish "indentation" at the inner side of the solid jaws - typical for these huge hilts that go to the very limits of the source material.

Original scabbard carved from the resilient wood so typical for Aceh fittings (dings and scratches from use as to be expected for an antique); crosspiece missing. At 2/5 length, the reddish wood exhibits a weak shadow of approx. 37 mm width - probably a hint for a band of silver now gone; it is possible that there also were silver bands at the mouth and, less likely, tip (no clearly demarcated shadows visible though).

Sword length 926 mm; blade length 778 mm (800 mm including the integral bolster).

I'm looking for a trade (suggested value €295/US$344) for this example of a rather rare sword type.
Please email me proposals or feel free to request more info at (use copy & paste):
HTML Code:
kai99.eaa@mailnull.com
Thanks for looking!

Regards,
Kai
Attached Images

kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2017, 11:57 AM   #2
kai

Exclamation If interested in a swap, please speak up soon!

There are already interested buyers.

If you consider proposing a trade but need to take pics, please send a short description or thumbnail first. Thanks!

Regards,
Kai
Old 31st July 2017, 05:21 PM   #3
kai

Exclamation Not available anymore

Moving on to an active forum member - thanks!