Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th October 2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Martin Lubojacky

Default Long swords from Nigerian/Cameroonian borderland (Vere/Namdchi ?)

Hello, allow me to share pictures of two swords. The lower one (1; with small figures on the pommel) was bought in Europe last year, upper one (2; with face on the pommel) in Cameroon recently. Lenghts 96 and 95 cms, No. 2 has nice springy and sharp (with nicks) blade of lenticular cross-section angraved with shaded triangles and rhombs (must be cleaned to be visible). Regards
Martin
(Because of problems with connection I cannot load all the pictures, sorry)
Attached Images

Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 10:20 AM   #2
ericlaude

Arrow

Very nice pieces Bata , Vere ,Namdshi
ericlaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 03:43 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Cool

VERY NICE, CONGRADULATIONS
I HAVE SEEN THE BRONZE CASTING ON SMOKEING PIPES, SMALLER DAGGERS AND A FEW OTHER ITEMS BUT NOT ON SWORDS. THEY DO VERY GOOD CASTING WORK IN CAMEROON.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 11:12 PM   #4
Ron Anderson

Hi

These are fairly abundant in south Africa where I come from, where they are brought south by traders and sold in flea markets and elsewhere. The scabbards are particularly elaborate. I had a smaller one before I left, but they can be quite large in size too.

I have been looking for them since but they aren't easily found elsewhere.

Regards
Ron Anderson
Ron Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 11:14 PM   #5
Ron Anderson

I must say these are particularly good examples and i have to wonder whether those blades are original to the pieces concerned. They look too good.

The African blades I've seen on these items are generally nowhere near that quality.
Old 18th October 2010, 11:18 PM   #6
Ron Anderson

Let me quantify that by saying those blades are no doubt original, but far nicer than usual.
Old 19th October 2010, 11:48 AM   #7
Martin Lubojacky

Thank you very much for opinions. It is possible to find copies of "this style items" in handicraft shops Abuja. Usually the vendors say it is comming from Adamawa. This copies are smaller (like big daggers), mostly with sheaths, the casting work is more rough and it is missing signs of wear on the handle, usually it has been somehow blackened (you can see difference in colours of the metal if you look inside the sheath). I would say boom of selling this copies was cca around 1999 - 2000, now they occure just seldom. Because of a very smooth characteristic places on the handles of the two swords, which I would say can be originated by wearing, I think they are real. The blade of No 2 is not so springy as and it is not sharp. What is really surprising is the blade of No 1. If you
Old 19th October 2010, 12:00 PM   #8
Martin Lubojacky

Sorry for break. So - if you knock into it, it sounds like a triangle (that musical instrument). It is slightly, but very slightly bent, nevertheless I did not succeed whentrying to straighten it.

I brought from Cameroon also three interesting daggers "made in Brass". The blades are more rough and one of them is, I assume, even symbolic (and much shorter than the sheath). But no doubt, there are clear signs of wear on the handles. I will bring the pictures after cleaning this daggers.
Regards,
Martin