Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th May 2015, 06:23 PM   #1
Cerjak

Default Tomas Aiala Cup hilt rapier.

Here some pic from a cup hilt rapier .
It has a long blade circa 104 cm and overall 121 cm
Blade marks : TOMAS in one side and AIALA in the other side.
Also there is on each side a “cross” stamped and other symbol too ,would like to know if it is only for decoration or there is any signification ..
Also I’m wondering if this sword could be late 17 th century or Early 18 th century ? Military or civilian use.

Any comment on it will be welcome .

Cerjak
Attached Images

Cerjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2015, 06:50 PM   #2
Cerjak

Default more pics

more
Attached Images

Old 30th May 2015, 07:01 PM   #3
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Could that be a mark inh the ricasso, Jean-Luc ?

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2015, 11:53 PM   #4
M ELEY

Spanish colonial? The bars of the hilt brazed directly to the cup, the plainness of the piece and grooved horn grip, the simple, undecorated pommel and quillon ends and lack of a ridge along the cup guard all seem to point to a so-called 'Caribbean cuphilt type'. Just a guess, though and I'll let Fernando or others shine light on this one! In any case, a great dueling rapier!
M ELEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2015, 11:22 AM   #5
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Looks Iberian to me but ... what do i know ?
The brazed bars could only mean this is a Portuguese sword, according to the basics.
My doubt to define whether this is a civilian or a military sword goes for the knuckle guard being fixed by a screw, a military detail, and the fine long rapier blade, more a fencing weapon for a civilian.
But then, i may tend to the civilian version, as the screw fixation may also represent a late age for tyhe sword ... like beg. XVIII century.
But these are all conjectures; no authority here
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2015, 11:51 AM   #6
Cerjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
Could that be a mark inh the ricasso, Jean-Luc ?

Fernando

Here a close picture from the ricasso I don't think that it is a mark.

Best
CERJAK
Attached Images

Old 1st June 2015, 03:30 AM   #7
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I think Mark has good points on the character of the hilt with the manner of quillons attached to cup, and simplicity of the cup with raised ridge but no rompepuntas.
While this hilt has those characteristics suggesting colonial origin, the pommel seems of third quarter + classical 'urn' style. The knuckleguard screw into the pommel recalls English dragoon hilts of this period and earlier.

The blade seems to be of Solingen character of early 18th century versions of Aiala blades, and the 'anchor' seems to correspond somewhat to various examples on blades of these times. I believe that Germany began producing these rapier blades for Spanish colonial use in the 17th well into the 18th if I understand correctly.

With the combination of these, the more refined look of the grip, I would suggest this might be a Portuguese version of cuphilt for officers dress and of latter 18th.in present mounts using earlier Solingen Aiala blade. It seems that Portuguese cuphilts were with an almost colonial look were known if I recall earlier discussions correctly. The English associated elements bring to mind the various connections between Portugal and England in these times.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 11:28 AM   #8
ulfberth

Well Cerjak,

It seems you got most of your answers, looking at the way the cup and the hilt is made, its form and symmetry I'm leaning towards 18th century....
Congratulations with this pure and original cup hilt rapier !

Kind regards

Ulfberth
ulfberth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2015, 11:45 AM   #9
Cerjak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
I think Mark has good points on the character of the hilt with the manner of quillons attached to cup, and simplicity of the cup with raised ridge but no rompepuntas.
While this hilt has those characteristics suggesting colonial origin, the pommel seems of third quarter + classical 'urn' style. The knuckleguard screw into the pommel recalls English dragoon hilts of this period and earlier.

The blade seems to be of Solingen character of early 18th century versions of Aiala blades, and the 'anchor' seems to correspond somewhat to various examples on blades of these times. I believe that Germany began producing these rapier blades for Spanish colonial use in the 17th well into the 18th if I understand correctly.

With the combination of these, the more refined look of the grip, I would suggest this might be a Portuguese version of cuphilt for officers dress and of latter 18th.in present mounts using earlier Solingen Aiala blade. It seems that Portuguese cuphilts were with an almost colonial look were known if I recall earlier discussions correctly. The English associated elements bring to mind the various connections between Portugal and England in these times.
Hello Jim

I was expected your opinion and I would like to thank you for your so well constructed analyse there is a last detail I would like to understand about the size who is about 120 cm in my eyes it is a lot for a dress sword it is difficult to wear it, may be you could explain me.
Best

Jean-Luc