Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th December 2004, 08:15 PM   #1
Battara
EAAF Staff

Yannis

My apologies. I think I was seeing an optical illusion (or a senor moment ). From this other computer screen, I can now see that in fact it is chased. You're right in that chased is exclusively from the top down onto the metal.

Mare Rosu

Your inscription appears to possibly be a bismallah ("name of God") and done in gold koftgari with some line engraving around the borders of the bismallah. You can even see a little of the koftgari wearing at the edges. Overall, excellent condition of koftgari.

The scabbard in the background is difficult to see. If you could post clearer pictures, that would be helpful. I would take a stab at a possible mixture of soldering of silver pieces and silver stylized wire with perhaps some chasing, though again, I would need clearer details.

The hilt section in the foreground appears to be repoussed, although I have seen and done some chasing work that, if done the right way, can appear to be repoussed like this silver scabbard section that I chased years ago (my second attempt at a scabbard):
Attached Images

Last edited by Battara; 19th December 2004 at 08:25 PM.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2004, 08:23 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

As you can see, one can be fooled because the metal is pushed back in parts allowing only the none hammered parts to remain looking like they are pushed out. It can become very confusing at times.

Another note: to repousse something one needs to use thinner sheet metal. Chasing, on the other hand, can be used on almost any thickness.
Old 19th December 2004, 08:25 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up Nice Burl

What kind of wood Jose ?

I really like the design on the band also !
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2004, 08:56 PM   #4
Mare Rosu
Deceased

Default SCABBARD

Battara;
Scabbard for your inspection/opinion.
Thanks for your help!
Attached Images

Mare Rosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2004, 08:57 PM   #5
Yannis

Default Illusion

Battara,

No need for apologies. I have seen the same illusion myself, in photos and in reality under certain light Maybe because of the contrast with niello.

Someone told me that niello over flat silver may peel away, that's why it is more common the combination with chasing. Is this true?

In this particular scabbard niello is on flat silver and it looks high polished. The chassing in the middle is plain silver.
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2004, 09:00 PM   #6
Yannis

Mare Rosu

Excellent work! I guess persian wootz blade with ottoman fittings
Yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2004, 09:11 PM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

Rick

The wood is burled walnut on top. Thank you. I extrapolated the design from the kris hilt patterns in the kris shown as my avatar. I tried to match the theme done in swassa on the hilt:
Attached Images

Old 19th December 2004, 09:22 PM   #8
Battara
EAAF Staff

Mare Rosu

Thank you for the clearer picture. I would say a mixture of hard soldering of patterned silver wire elements at the throat, then some repousse, then further down some embossing:

embossing : when first chasing the design onto the metal sheet, then afterwards flipping the sheet around and hammering from underneath. This makes a slightly different effect than repousse (where one hammers from underneath first .

Another note: it looks like the scabbard at least has Iragi influence and maybe from Bagdad.

Yannis

I would not be surprised that what you say is true. Instead of an oxidation only, niello is a thick plaque. On a plain smooth surface there would be less to which it could adhere, as opposed to a textured surface or at minimum a recessed area where it would have more to which to cling. Thus chasing or texturing the silver is most often done with the metal before niello is applied.