Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 19th April 2008, 05:27 PM   #1
David
Keris forum moderator

Default POSTING PICTURES

Hello all. I have noticed that while most folks seem to upload their pics directly to the forum, often enough some of you provide links to places like photobucket. I realize that this is easy for you if you already have the photo on that server, but unfortunately, once you remove it it is then lost to this forum and the thread discussion to which it is pertinent. There is nothing more frustrating than searching up an old thread and finding that half the pictures of what we were talking about are now missing.
Soooooo..... i would like to gently encourage everyone to consider taking the time to upload all photos directly to this site so that they can then be archived with the thread for future use. Thanx.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2008, 06:01 PM   #2
Jussi M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
I would like to gently encourage everyone to consider taking the time to upload all photos directly to this site so that they can then be archived with the thread for future use. Thanx.
How?
Jussi M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2008, 06:31 PM   #3
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Use the 'manage attachments' bar that is below the text box when you start or reply to a post .

Search your computer for the image you wish to post, select and upload; if it's too big you'll be notified by the software .

As for size 800 width is a good start and under 500 kb is a nice conservative file size .
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2008, 09:01 PM   #4
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi M.
How?
Jussi, you have already done this when you posted your puukko so you must already know how.
What i am discouraging is just providing a link to another server where your picture might already be stored. When you upload directly to our forum as an attatchment the pictures remain in our archive base.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2008, 12:56 PM   #5
Bill M

I completely agree with David about this. It is frustrating to search an old thread and find blanks where pictures used to be.

I want to give a big "Thank you" to Lee and whomever pays for the EA&A Forum server.

Maintaining pictures makes the server more expensive (larger files) than just text or "PhotoBucket" files. Many other forums request posters to only use links to pictures, not upload actual pictures!

BTW I suggest a work-around for a posting order. Upload your pictures one at a time and they stay in the order you want. FI I like to begin with an overall picture and then detail pictures.

If you select and fill all the slots in the "manage attachments" window, the pictures may post in a different order.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2008, 02:20 PM   #6
Tatyana Dianova

Default Problems uploading pics...

It's a very good idea to upload files directly to the server, but... Last 2 months I can't make it at all!!! Even my old pics, which were successfully downloaded before, can't be uploaded. I got always error: No connection to a server. I wonder, if somebody else has this problem?
Tatyana Dianova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 07:08 AM   #7
Gavin Nugent

Default Managing the order of pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Marsh
I completely agree with David about this. It is frustrating to search an old thread and find blanks where pictures used to be.

I want to give a big "Thank you" to Lee and whomever pays for the EA&A Forum server.

Maintaining pictures makes the server more expensive (larger files) than just text or "PhotoBucket" files. Many other forums request posters to only use links to pictures, not upload actual pictures!

BTW I suggest a work-around for a posting order. Upload your pictures one at a time and they stay in the order you want. FI I like to begin with an overall picture and then detail pictures.

If you select and fill all the slots in the "manage attachments" window, the pictures may post in a different order.
With further regards to what Bill has said above, I have found that if you want your pictures to stay in the order you want, you will need to minimize the "manage attachment" screen so that the 6 fields you browse from are stacked on top of each other vertically, this will place them in the correct order. If you have this screen maximized and it shows rows horizontally they will appear in the wrong order.
I hope this is of help and YES a huge thanks to those who foot the bill for this wonderful and very helpful website.

regards

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2008, 02:40 PM   #8
Mark

Default More "How To"

If you want to include in a post a photo that is already on the internet, first, make sure that the owner thereof doesn't mind (contact me with any questions in this regard, as it is a mixed legal/courtesy issue), and second, download the photo to your computer and upload it using the attachment manager by doing the following:

1) Right-click on photo;
2) Select "Save Picture As ...;"
3) Save it in your directory of choice;
4) Attach the image to your post using the Attachment Manager.

It is a good idea to limit the HORIZONTAL dimension to 800 pixels, even if the vertical dimension is less, as this results in a photo that will fit on the screen without having to scroll sideways.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote