Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th December 2015, 07:16 PM   #1
Miguel

Default Help required to identify these two swords

Hi Everyone,

I would greatly appreciate your help in identifying these two swords. I have had them for some time but have only just unearthed them from one of my storage boxes in my quest to catalogue my weapon collection.

On first glance the swords appear to be identical but on closer inspection there are small differences which lead me to believe that they were made by different manufacturers. One sword is completely devoid of any makings whilst the other one has stamps on the hilt and a single number one or letter I stamped on the ricasso. The first set of photos shows both swords together, the second set shows the sword with no markings and the third set the sword with markings. Thanking you in anticipation of your help.
Regards
Miguel
Attached Images

Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2015, 07:25 PM   #2
Miguel

Second set of photos, sword with no markings.

O/L in scabbard is 43 ins.
O/L out of scabbard is 42 ins.
Blade length is 36 ins.
Blade width is 1.125 ins
Attached Images

Old 10th December 2015, 07:35 PM   #3
Miguel

Sword with marks.
O/L in scabbard is 43 ins
O/L out of scabbard is 41 ins.
Blade length is 35.25.
Blade width is 1.25 ins
Attached Images

Old 11th December 2015, 02:17 AM   #4
Hotspur

These both appear to be generic examples of the French 1822 light cavvalry sword. Likely produced in Solingen from many shops. Hundreds of thousands were produced and as late as the 29th century. A great many were exported and completely unmarked.

Some have cord under the leather instead of grooved wood and I would think that the use of cord was simply a production shortcut. My generic example was made in that fashion.

Cheers

GC
Hotspur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2015, 08:18 AM   #5
RobertGuy

Just to add that the US m1840 and m1860 cavalry sabres were based on this design and a good many unmarked examples were exported to both sides in the American Civil War.
RobertGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2015, 01:40 PM   #6
Lee
EAAF Staff

I can see traces of a blade marking on the image with a rack number on the hilt and closer examination of that may confirm or change the attribution.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2015, 01:49 PM   #7
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur
These both appear to be generic examples of the French 1822 light cavvalry sword. Likely produced in Solingen from many shops. Hundreds of thousands were produced and as late as the 29th century. A great many were exported and completely unmarked.

Some have cord under the leather instead of grooved wood and I would think that the use of cord was simply a production shortcut. My generic example was made in that fashion.

Cheers

GC
Hi Hotspur,
Thank you for the information, I am much obliged.
Regards
Miguel
Old 13th December 2015, 02:04 PM   #8
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGuy
Just to add that the US m1840 and m1860 cavalry sabres were based on this design and a good many unmarked examples were exported to both sides in the American Civil War.
Hello Mr Guy,

Thanks for your reply, it would be nice to be able to confirm that these swords were US M1840 or M1860 Cavalry Sabres, shades of John Wayne leading the charge, but without manufacturers or regimental markings I guess it will prove difficult. Thanks again for your reply and now that I am armed with Yours and Hotspurs info I will be able to carry out further research.
Regards
Miguel
Old 13th December 2015, 02:14 PM   #9
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee
I can see traces of a blade marking on the image with a rack number on the hilt and closer examination of that may confirm or change the attribution.
Hi Lee,
Thank you for your reply, I wish they were markings but I am afraid that what look like traces of markings are in fact blemishes. I would be grateful if you would explain what " rack number" as I would like to know what these marks signify.
Regards
Miguel