Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > European Armoury
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10th January 2014, 07:46 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Carbine for comments

Once again a gun of indistinct provenance, although i would appoint it to a Portuguese origin. The style of the hammer used for the conversion from flint to percussion is typical of Portuguese modification from the Pé de Cabra (goat foot) flint version.
Also the 'scars' on the lock plate suggest the home of a Portuguese frizzen spring.
The Britishized swivel ramrod is missing; i am thinking hardly of having one made, after an old spare rod and new swivel parts.
The calibre is typical of a smooth bore, indeed one larger than usual for a carbine, with 20 m/m (10 bore).
I wouldn't know what to make of those 'marks' on the barrel breech; whether they are real marks and where from... assuming barrels are usually non Portuguese.
Butt plate, trigger guard, ramrod pipe and forend cap all in brass, showing nice patina.
I would place the date of this piece between end XVIII / beg. XIX centuries.
Barrel length 52 cms. Total length 89 cms.
Would anyone care to comment on this piece ?
Thanks

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2014, 08:38 PM   #2
Matchlock
(deceased)

Location: Bavaria, Germany - the center of 15th and 16th century gunmaking

Hi 'Nando,

Yup, end of the 18th c. is a correct date assigned in my eyes.

It is rare to see me posting on a gun transformed to percussion in ca. 1840 but this mechanism is notable for the fact that the sear nose protrudes from the outer lockplate. This a very unusual version of a so-called German Hakenspannschloss which first appeared on early flintlocks in ca. 1650.
In the first part of the famous auction of the complete armory of Schloss Dyck near Düsseldorf, the former collection of the Princes Salm-Reifferscheidt, at Christie's London, 15 April 1992, there was a remarkable early French flintlock musket, ca. 1655, lot 51, with a lock of that type, falsely labeled as a 'snaphaunce' by Christie's.

It was heavily damaged, with various parts missing and a defective action, so I bought lot 52, in perfect condition including its original ramrod, illustrated with lot 51.

Best,
Michl
Attached Images

Last edited by Matchlock; 10th January 2014 at 09:06 PM.
Matchlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 11:56 AM   #3
Fernando K

Hi, namesake:

I think there has been a military rifle (carbine) from the time of the Napoleonic wars in Spain and Portugal, as amended and added antique / engraving), and of course, replaced the key (lock).

I confess this is the first time I meet with the "crowbar". It has many similarities with the Spanish Miqueletes. The average riding (half cock) is achieved with a projection (arch) that gets under the curve of the appendix and full rides (full cock) is achieved with an appendix spring, I imagine.

The system referred to Matchlock, would not be the same, and which can be seen in some Scottish weapons? (half cock)

Fernando K
Fernando K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2014, 02:24 PM   #4
Fernando K

Hi, namesake

Here I upload a picture of the key (lock) called "mixed" model 1801 pistol. Gib had a musket-fire keeps the bowl (pan), and a drawing of John Sopena Garreta "History of Spanish arms" of the two keys (locks)

affectionately
Fernando K
Old 11th January 2014, 02:26 PM   #5
Fernando K

Hi

Fernando K
Attached Images

Old 12th January 2014, 12:31 PM   #6
fernando

Hola tocayo (namesake),
I was aware of the "llave mixta" 1801, as it comes in Calvó's work ARMAMAMENTO ESPAÑOL EN LA GUERRRA DE INDENPENCIA, equipping cavalry pistols and the tercerola model 1803.
You are right in what concerns the cocking of my carbine, with two positions.
I also suspect this gun was in action during the Napoleonic period, but the models i am aware of, are not the same as this one. As i said, i am surprised with such large calibre. Maybe this is a setup made with parts from different origin, like so many regional blunderbusses from the period.

Attached Images

Old 12th January 2014, 01:42 PM   #7
fernando

The real Portuguese "pé de cabra" ... with the typical frizzen spring i tryed to sketch in post #1.

Attached Images

Old 12th January 2014, 01:57 PM   #8
Fernando K

Hi Fernando:

Two words about the caliber. The caliber of the English arms is 17 pound (19.2 mm.) Try increasing due to corrosion. It is known that the muzzleloader suffered an increase in the mouth, particularly or hasty action.

Affectionately. Fernando K
Old 12th January 2014, 03:02 PM   #9
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando K
Hi Fernando:

Two words about the caliber. The caliber of the English arms is 17 pound (19.2 mm.) Try increasing due to corrosion. It is known that the muzzleloader suffered an increase in the mouth, particularly or hasty action.

Affectionately. Fernando K
I am ware of that, Fernando.
... But i was under the influence that carbine calibers were smaller... at least some (cavalry) models
I may be wrong, though
Also this barrel shouldn't have been a musket one.
Old 29th January 2014, 07:06 PM   #10
fernando

She's got a ramrod now
The rod is an old genuine one; the other parts were made now.
The smith has applied some rusting product on the new parts and adviced me to no to oil them for a while, to enable the product to work.

Attached Images