Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 1st March 2020, 03:32 PM   #1
Drabant1701

Default Is this yatagan from Tunisia?

I rarely buy arms these days, but I could not resist this yatagan. Described as Yatagan 18-19th century. It has a silver scabbard and rhino handle, the blade has a turkish ribbon pattern and an inlayed star of David. 60cm long in scabbard. My research indicate firt half of the 19th century North Africa. But I cant pin country of origin. I was think Tunisia because it has a star of David, and Tunis had a large jewish population during this period. But than again the yatagan may have traveled from neighboring countries.

Maybe I have to settle for North Africa (unless I am totaly wrong), but someone more knowledgeable may be able to tell me something more definitive.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by Drabant1701; 1st March 2020 at 03:46 PM.
Drabant1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2020, 04:29 PM   #2
mariusgmioc

The scabbard silverwork appears to be Turkish ... to my eyes. However, it also appears the scabbard has been restored.

As for the blade, I cannot see any trace of Turkish ribbon... which would have indicated also Turkish origin. The Star of David is very often present on Turkish blades as it has a symbolistic value for the Islam as well.

But what puzzles me most is the hilt which also appears to have been restored and I find rather atypical...
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2020, 04:30 PM   #3
Bob A

No expert here, but the silver work on the scabbard looks pretty Ottoman to me. What leads you to assume a Tunisian origin?
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2020, 04:42 PM   #4
TVV

While the ears of the hilt are not the typical type for North Africa, this piece could very well be from Algeria. I am attaching a similar small yataghan sold by Oriental Arms that has an unmistakably North African hilt. The scabbards are very similar in construction and decoration. These weapons were probably made in the Balkans and exported to Algeria.
Attached Images

TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2020, 05:32 PM   #5
Drabant1701

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
While the ears of the hilt are not the typical type for North Africa, this piece could very well be from Algeria. I am attaching a similar small yataghan sold by Oriental Arms that has an unmistakably North African hilt. The scabbards are very similar in construction and decoration. These weapons were probably made in the Balkans and exported to Algeria.
I know that a lot of Ottoman arms originate in the Balkans, I do however entertain the thought that maybe at least part of this one is made in Africa. So Im persisting in my research. I found silver hallmarks but they are really blured out. i will post photos later.

There is a high probability that there is some algerian connection. There is a yatagan here:

https://www.rct.uk/collection/62923

If you look past that its gold and larger, the scabbard is very similar in decoration.

The hilt does not look like most other algerian yatagans that is why Im a little puzzeled. I can see no indication that it would have been altered. The yatagan is more like a large knife, 54cm without scabbard, that may have something to do with the siza of the handle.

This has a similar shaped hilt and is attributed to Tunisia:

https://www.hermann-historica.de/en/...s/lot/id/33674

There is also this one with a less similar scabbard but still in the same style. It is in the swedish royal armory and labeled Algerian.
Attached Images

Last edited by Drabant1701; 1st March 2020 at 06:20 PM.
Drabant1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2020, 06:17 PM   #6
TVV

Here is another one with similar scabbard from the Oriental Arms sold section before their site was reworked. Someone acid etched the blade with Africa 1830, so this is probably a trophy from the French invasion in Algeria.
Attached Images

TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2020, 06:27 PM   #7
Kubur

Hi
I don't know what it is, but I can say a few things.

First there is nothing Tunisian.
Note that Tunisia was under Ottoman control.
Second the star of Solomon is not Jewish here but a popular Islamic talisman.
This seal is common on yataghans as a good luck charm.
As noted the hilt is not Algerian, not the typical ears.
But the blond rhino horn (giraffe?) is typical with Algerian yataghans.
Yes Elgood mentionned export to North Africa but Algerian yataghans were produced in Algeria. Please buy the book on Algerian weapons.

Overall it might be Algerian but there is not enough proofs to say anything and as it is, it's just a beautiful Ottoman yataghan.
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2020, 06:31 PM   #8
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
Here is another one with similar scabbard from the Oriental Arms sold section before their site was reworked. Someone acid etched the blade with Africa 1830, so this is probably a trophy from the French invasion in Algeria.
Agreed
and Afrique is a reference to "Armee d Afrique"
Please note that Abdel Kadder had a yataghan...
from the Balkans... and not an Algerian Yataghan
I guess it was more chic to have an import...
Old 8th March 2020, 10:13 AM   #9
Kubur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Second the star of Solomon is not Jewish here but a popular Islamic talisman.
This seal is common on yataghans as a good luck charm.
The solomon seal gives power over humans, animals and jinns (spirits).
The seal is the symbol of the last name of god,the hidden one (99 names are in the Koran).