Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 19th March 2010, 09:18 PM   #1
Henk

Default Old kris for comment

Seeing many kris, sundang for comment i would like to post one of mine.

This one has no scabbard. What kind of scabbard does this one need? What about the hilt? It has no bacca bacca, but i cann't remove it.
Length of the blade without hilt is 60 cm or 23,5 inch. With hilt 74 cm or 29 inch. Blade is still rather sharp.

I look forward to your comments.
Attached Images

Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 10:45 PM   #2
Marcokeris

It seems very very nice (i never seen one like this) and old
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 02:46 AM   #3
ThePepperSkull

Usually when I see a Kris with a keyed tang repair, it either appreas that it was done so in haste or there is an attempt to make the repair match the rest of the blade by polishing it down, yet there is still that signature rectangular silhouette on the blade.

I haven't seen this before, however. The repair was not made in an attempt integrate the new tang into the current aesthetic of the blade, but set itself apart where it even outlines or showcases it... yet it looks like it belongs there. I really quite like it. Haven't seen anything like this before, I wonder if keyed tang repairs that look this attractive or purposeful is more common than i think.
ThePepperSkull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 03:47 AM   #4
kai

Hello Henk,

Thanks for sharing this - I have a sweet spot or odd pieces!

Is there any hint that the blade may be European?

The base resembles Indian swords and it may be an attempt to integrate a foreign blade into a Moro kris rather than being a repair...

The pommel is also unusual (or rather unique AFAIK).

Despite the patina and based on workmanship, I'm inclined to believe that this piece represents a later attempt (turn of the 19th century?) rather than an older style.

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 07:14 AM   #5
ThePepperSkull

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Henk,

The base resembles Indian swords and it may be an attempt to integrate a foreign blade into a Moro kris rather than being a repair...

Despite the patina and based on workmanship, I'm inclined to believe that this piece represents a later attempt (turn of the 19th century?) rather than an older style.

Regards,
Kai
I had never thought about that! Very interesting observation about the similarity in Indian blades. The 'guard' on this reminds me of an indonesian (Acehnese?) Peudeueng Peusangan, which has a hilt influenced by Indian design:

Another good observation about the manufacture date. The carving of the greneng definitely looks more recent than 18th century.

Where do you think this particular blade comes from, Kai? It's a complete mystery to me. I'd say it looks Malay peninsula to me, but my personal assessment is not based off of much.
Old 20th March 2010, 03:59 PM   #6
Henk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Hello Henk,

Regards,
Kai

Kai,

My pleasure to share it with you all.

There is no hint that the blade might be European. It has no marks or anything else that could be identified. If such a mark was present i certainly would have made a picture of it.

The blade fits the base with tang like a blade fits into its scabbard. It could be a repair or using, as suggested a foreign blade into a Moro kris.

But, to be honest, i haven't the slightest idea about it. I hope to get some more information from our knowledgeable forummembers.
As mentioned both edges are still rather sharp. Holding it in my hands i'm convinced it is in battle a nasty weapon.
Old 20th March 2010, 06:40 PM   #7
Maurice

Another headbreaker........

Thank you for sharing this nice one, Henk.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 06:48 PM   #8
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I BID ON SOMETHING SIMULAR ON EBAY A WHILE BACK BUT THE PICTURES WERE NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO TELL MUCH, OTHER THAN THAT I HAVE NOT SEEN ANYTHING LIKE THIS KRIS. IT IS EITHER A NON TRADITIONAL METHOD TO REPAIR A BROKEN TANG OR A MODIFICATION TO STRENGTHEN AND ELIMINATE THE NEED FOR BACA BACA STRAPS . EITHER WAY IT APPEARS TO BE VERY STRONGLY MOUNTED NOW, I SEE THREE PINS THRU THE BLADE AND TANG AND THERE MAY BE MORE UNDER THE WRAP ON THE HANDLE. AN X RAY WOULD SHOW IF THE ORIGINAL TANG WAS BROKEN AND HIGHLIGHT ANY OTHER PINS OR HOLES IN THE TANG. ALL IN ALL A VERY INTERESTING, STRONG AND ATTRACTIVE MODIFICATION. THANKS FOR SHAREING
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 09:22 PM   #9
Henk

Maurice,

My pleasure.

Vandoo,

It is a very strong construction indeed. The tang with the base of this kris is mounted with two pins to the blade. The third pin through the tang is a simple nail in the hilt just passing the tang. I can remove that nail, but the hilt cann't be removed. Don't know the purpose of the nail but it is an old one and i just leave it there.
Old 28th March 2010, 11:34 PM   #10
tom hyle

Default holy Toledo!

Bridging the gap between khanda and kris sundang; beauty; I have long noted the resemblance of the two protrusions below a khanda/firangi type guard to those engaged by the baca baca on kris sundang. Never expected to see the khanda's extreme lagnet on a kris though. Super cool. I more suspect this is original than a repair.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 11:41 PM   #11
Sajen

Hello Henk,

very interesting kris, never seen something like this before.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 01:18 AM   #12
Battara
EAAF Staff

I don't know how I missed this thread. Nice Malaysian kris or sundang. Don't think it had baka-baka clamps originally. Many of these kris didn't in my observation. I have seen this type of construction before on both Moro and Malaysian sundang, especially Malaysian ones, although what makes this one unusual is that it extends to the entire bottom part of the blade.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 08:22 PM   #13
Henk

Sajen,

I haven't seen one like this neither.

Tom, Battara,

I also think it is not a repair. There are no signs of baka-baka clamps that are missing on the blade so I completely agree with Battara that this one never had baka-baka clamps.
You say Battara, that this is not the first time you see this kind of construction. Any idea what kind of scabbard this one had original?

Gentlemen, thank you for your input.
Old 30th March 2010, 11:34 PM   #14
Battara
EAAF Staff

Well, the scabbard would be one where there would not be a separate wranga like in some Moro pieces. The picture below is an example of what I am talking about (from another recent thread). Would it have had silver pieces on it - could not say without a little more research.

By the way - I doubt the wrap on it now is the original. Would have to take a personal look and some research of the region to see what might have been originally there.
Attached Images

Old 31st March 2010, 03:24 PM   #15
Henk

Thanks Battara, for your efforts. Now I know what scabbard this one should need. The bindngs on mine aren't original as well. Just copper wire.
Old 31st March 2010, 08:48 PM   #16
ThePepperSkull

I have always wondered about the top part of the scabbard/scabbard mouth on Keris Sundang Melayu. That black band -- is that horn? It reminds me of the koiguchi of a katana's saya, which is also placed at the mouth of the saya and made of black horn.

Old 31st March 2010, 09:32 PM   #17
Battara
EAAF Staff

When one it present, yes it is horn.
Old 31st March 2010, 10:29 PM   #18
buendia

What a beauty - when you are going to sell this one send me a note!
buendia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 12:10 AM   #19
Alam Shah

Henk, this is a 'sundang kapit', a Peninsular Malay form.. the whole construction is original, as Battara mentioned. Congratulations! nice find..
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 06:57 PM   #20
Henk

Alam Shah,

Thank you for your input and indentification. I'm very happy happy with it. It is a great weapon.
Old 9th July 2010, 07:22 AM   #21
ThePepperSkull

Does anyone have any more examples of Sundang Kapit? when in time was this/were these kinds of sundang made? Is there any cultural significances to it in terms of how it differs from, say "regular" Kris Sundang?