Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 15th May 2012, 05:39 AM   #1
migueldiaz

in the 'hidden cities' series in history channel asia, the host [anthony morse] explains why the right-handed iban headhunter has to be equipped with a right-side beveled chisel-ground sword -- in this first screen capture, morse was saying:

"… [the Iban's (Borneo) sword] is designed to separate, or cut off the head. Now you can't really see it on the camera, but this particular blade, there is a slight curvature on the top or outer part. And on the back side, it's complete flat. This sword was designed specifically for a warrior who is right-handed …"
Attached Images

migueldiaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 05:40 AM   #2
migueldiaz

"… Now let's say I was a right-handed warrior, if I were coming to cut off his head, as I approach the neck, because of the curve in the outer side of the blade, as soon as I make contact, it would kind of swipe across, and then go upwards, ensuring a very clean cut."
Attached Images

Old 15th May 2012, 05:41 AM   #3
migueldiaz

"Now if I were to use the same blade as a left-hander, what would happen is I would cut. And instead of going upward, the blade would actually go downwards. And then that would just not be good. Because then you would have a head that's still semi-attached to the body. And that would just not cut it, for building your reputation as a fierce headhunter."
Attached Images

Old 15th May 2012, 05:44 AM   #4
migueldiaz

Click here to watch that short video.

So what do you guys think? Does Morse make sense, and was there something written or reported before, about the logic being explained by Morse? Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 15th May 2012, 06:21 AM   #5
migueldiaz

on a less macabre note, this website explains why in certain situations, a chisel-ground blade makes more sense ...
Attached Images

Old 15th May 2012, 07:19 AM   #6
kronckew

i did mean to hilite in my earlier post that sajen's original posted photo was likely 'flipped' digitally somewhere in either epray or elsewhen. my post above was the original poster's photo re-flipped to turn it back into a right-hander, which i assumed it really is.

i'm glad the topic of left/right handers was thus discussed as it is important in these eastern weapons (and sushi knives - i do in fact own a nice laminated japanese sushi knife, right handed of course. ).

i like miguel's posting just above, especially the very last sentence in the attachment starting 'finally'. after all, these were initially farm tools & only incidentally later weapons. a clean cut on a bush precedes but does negate a clean cut on a neck.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 08:52 AM   #7
nacho

Default This forum help increase garab prices

When prices of previously ignored items start to move up, nicer specimens begin turning up in the market. I think that's what is going on in the case of garabs. Info on this forum has also contributed in raising the prices. I recently acquired two fine garabs with dates on the scabbard. I was familiar with the existence of dated garabs because of previous posts in this form, so when this pair was offered, I did not hesitate.
Attached Images

nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 05:09 PM   #8
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew
i did mean to hilite in my earlier post that sajen's original posted photo was likely 'flipped' digitally somewhere in either epray or elsewhen. my post above was the original poster's photo re-flipped to turn it back into a right-hander, which i assumed it really is.
I haven't flipped the pictures and don't think that the ebay seller has done it. So my believe is that it is a left hand garab.
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote