Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 2nd October 2021, 06:15 PM   #1
Tea

Default Kothimora Kukri

Greetings Everyine,

I would like to receive some information about the Kukri here-under.
Also I have a few questions:
- Do you think the scabbard and the kukri where meant to go together as a whole: the scabbard is about 5cm longer than the blade which seems like a lot to me.
- Would anabody be able to guess the date of the kukri and of the scabbard? Do you think it's an antique?
- Obviously their is a piece missing at the pommer (I'm guessing a brass plate) however the overall construction seems weird to me: I don't see the tang of the blade instead it seems like their is wood shimmed inside the horn handle. Would anybody have some information on the construction?

Please forgive my English it's not my mother tongue
Attached Images

Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2021, 07:19 PM   #2
mariusgmioc

The scabbard is very nicely worked, while the knife is sub-average, so I see a miss-match.

Adding the fact that the scabbard is significantly longer, I would say it does not belong to this blade.

PS: Scabbards are usually longer than the blade, but not that much. I also seem to notice a slight difference in curvature between the scabbard and blade.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2021, 09:46 PM   #3
Tea

Thank you mariusgmioc for this first answer.
I am suspecting a mismatch as well.
By any chance would you have a clue as to the production period of either the scabbard or the kukri? (since the chance of a mismatch is quite high I suppose the production dates can vary as well)
Old 4th October 2021, 11:53 AM   #4
kronckew

Definite mismatch. Kothimora would have had a scabbard made specifically fitted to a better blade. Pommel cap has a section missing. Sword of shiva is nicely done, tho. The 'eyebrow mark in front of it is possibly an armoury mark. Lack of broken spine is usually a sign of earlier mfg. but also found in more recently made ones. Looks like it has a partial tang held on by laha (himalayan epoxy') that is the norm. Probably will need a new grip in a few decades of hard use. The forward edge of the bolster being serrated is a bit odd.

Nice scabbard!

My Hanshee Kothimora khukuri for reference.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 4th October 2021 at 12:17 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2021, 01:00 PM   #5
RAMBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea View Post
Thank you mariusgmioc for this first answer.
I am suspecting a mismatch as well.
By any chance would you have a clue as to the production period of either the scabbard or the kukri? (since the chance of a mismatch is quite high I suppose the production dates can vary as well)
The scabbard is likely earlier than the kukri here and both somewhere around the second quarter of the 20th century or maybe a bit later.
RAMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2021, 01:03 PM   #6
RAMBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew View Post
Definite mismatch. Kothimora would have had a scabbard made specifically fitted to a better blade. Pommel cap has a section missing. Sword of shiva is nicely done, tho. The 'eyebrow mark in front of it is possibly an armoury mark. Lack of broken spine is usually a sign of earlier mfg. but also found in more recently made ones. Looks like it has a partial tang held on by laha (himalayan epoxy') that is the norm. Probably will need a new grip in a few decades of hard use. The forward edge of the bolster being serrated is a bit odd.

Nice scabbard!

My Hanshee Kothimora khukuri for reference.
A very early archaic kukri from around the second half of the 18th Century. later scabbard.
RAMBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2021, 04:22 PM   #7
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMBA View Post
A very early archaic kukri from around the second half of the 18th Century. later scabbard.

I know. The red tinfoil under the fretwork is also a later addition to the scabbard. The scabbard is still fitted to the blade. Scabbards come and go, it probably lived in a std. plain black one before being promoted, like my other salyani, without the belt frog bit tho, and would have been carried in a sash. This later one has a substantial full length tang peened over a keeper on the pommel.
Attached Images

Old 4th October 2021, 04:36 PM   #8
kronckew

When the Alpacalypse comes. this is the one I'll hang on my baldric. I call her Godzilla.
I have others.
Attached Images

Old 4th October 2021, 10:28 PM   #9
Tea

Thanks a lot everyone for your precious insights.

@ Ramba may I ask how you manage to date the scabbard I get that the shape of kukri's changed over time, yet it's still complex for me sometimes to Id the real deal from a well made reproduction (not those with lion heads)
I would be more than happy if you could suggest a few good books/articles

I read on the link below that the monster depicted on the scabbard is called cheppu/Kirtimukha is the decoration pattern one of the elements that helped to date my scabbard and the one from krockew?
https://kilatools.com/kukrihistory/

Also I don't know whether the use of velvet is common or not and whether it can help to specify a date?

@krockew I wouldn't mind if you'd added a few more pictures of your collection
I'm quite partial to the second one you posted.
Old 18th October 2021, 11:13 PM   #10
Tea

Hi I just encountered a very similar kukri on a vendor's website: the kukri is almost identical:engravings, eyelash sun and moon symbol even the karda is similar,
the scabbard has the same red velvet but is in much better state and still has 3 tools: the usual plus a small toothpick, the scabbard is similarly oversized. but has a different decoration in bazaar style.

So I suppose they might be a match after all...

I would like to know if and how I may refer to the pictures? Like the saying goes "a picture is worth a ...
Old 22nd October 2021, 01:15 PM   #11
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Exclamation Discussion of an item presently for sale ...

Hi Tea,

Unfortunately, we do not permit linking to, discussing, or posting pictures of items that are currently for sale. I would suggest you download any pictures now as these can disappear quickly after a sale is completed. I understand that you would like to discuss this item now, but please wait until it is no longer for sale.

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2021, 12:33 AM   #12
Tea

Hi Ian thank you for the reply I'll make sure to do that once the sale is completed.

In the meantime I found 2 sold Kukri's which also look similar.
(less so than the one I had in mind but clearly the point is the same:

Here is an analysis of the first one:
- the eyelash is identical
- the serated part of the bolster is also present
- the upper part of the decoration pattern is identical
- the same red velvet is used on the scabbard

(far to many similiratities in my opinion to be a coincidence)

here is the link to the website: https://www.rubylane.com/item/146467...w-234856211751

And attached you'll find the pictures which give the best representation of the similarities with my kukri:
Attached Images

Old 23rd October 2021, 12:43 AM   #13
Tea

So now for the second similar kukri I found which is also sold

- the overall shape seems similar
- clearly in this example the bolster, cho, engravings, serated bolster are either different or absent in comparison to the kukri I posted
- The scabbard seems oversized
- the scabbard is almost identical to the previous one I posted

link: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...kha-1838564254

And the pictures:
Attached Images

Old 23rd October 2021, 01:08 AM   #14
Tea

I don't know what we can learn based on the 2 new kukri I posted in my last messages.

I suppose we can determine it probably is not a mismatch after all.
It is however very strange that the scabbard is so much oversized: It's complicated to understand why they put so much effort into making a nice scabbard and so little effort into sizing the scabbard correctly.

Based on the new evidence are all the kukri I posted of the same period? Is the estimated period still second quarter of the 20th century?

Are the kukri genuine/ antique/ usable kukri's or does the fact that I found 4 similar examples mean they should be regarded as tourist kukri's?
Old 23rd October 2021, 10:19 AM   #15
kronckew

The last two look like they are a decent fit, unlike the first post's.

Generic simplified comments for those who do not have or use the khukuri:

In the past, and even now, to a lesser extent, India had a rigid caste system, kind of a Union gone to extremes. Discrimination by caste is now illegal, but India, especially in rural areas, changes slowly.

The Lowest caste, the untouchables, included the Kamis (blacksmiths) and Sarkis (scabbard makers). The Kamis did not make the scabbards, and the sarkis did not make khukuri.

The kamis did work to patterns, but there was leeway, and no two hand-forged khukri were exactly the same, within limits. The sarki picks a wooden core of approx. the right length, width, and curvature to allow the insertion and removal of the khukuri without excessive effort.

The non-circular curve design of the khukri means you have a wider than usual throat area to accomodate the widest part of the blade as it turns as you remove it - remembering to NOT have any fingers along the blade edge side of the scabbard. They do occasionally cut thru the unglued seam between the scabbard core halves if the blade is not inserted/removed with the required motions. (the more 'circular' curved hanshee or salyani khuks have less trouble with is than the more 'modern (?) broken back ones.

There are 'quick draw versions of the scabbard where the top seam is open most of the way and the blade inserts into that side without the curving motion. These of course are not 'traditional, but 'custom' made for those who are not local.

see:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWrb8w7E7iE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uo_bsCmk5c&t=52s

Another, just for its coolness: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFArXZSKF_8

Top opening 'quick draw scabbard

Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 23rd October 2021 at 11:07 AM.
Old 27th December 2021, 10:57 AM   #16
Tea

So I found a few other similar Kukri's.
Is your opinion still that these are antiques?
What can be said about the leather scabbard with medallions?
I always thought these were a tourist thing (with usually one of the medallions representing the flag of Nepal.)

As for the fit in both cases the scabbard seems quite tall to me.
Attached Images

Old 27th December 2021, 03:49 PM   #17
kronckew

The khukuri look antique, nice ones. Bone grips can be fragile, tho they look cool. The horn gripped one withr the REALLY ornate scabbard is a nice fighting weapon. The Bone handled one's decorations are a bit more mundane. They both likely started out with a plainer scabbard for actual use, scabbards were not for the life of the khukuri, and were easily replaced when damaged or worn out. or if you wanted more bling. The khukri blade maay have many hand grips and many scabbards over its life.

The scabbards are Kothimora display scabbards found on presentation weapons. The brass emblems on the plainer scabbard can be regimental badges and the really posh ones with gemstones and filagree metal are bling added by the presenter, with the chains used to display it proudly on a wall hook. They are NOT tourist junk.

You can buy cheap replicas in the tourist shops, caveat emptor. Be especially careful not to buy any with a lions head pommel.
These are in a tourist trap in nepal, gone a bit overboard on the brass. Coins, and nepal flags with the country name in english under them are a bad sign.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 27th December 2021 at 04:15 PM.
Old 29th January 2022, 07:59 PM   #18
BBJW

Default Kothimora Kukri

Definitely a mismatch. Kukri is likely post WW2 and scabbard pre. judging by the wear. - bbjw
BBJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2022, 01:16 PM   #19
David R

My own Kothimora is a miss match and I can think of many many reasons for this happening. Blades and scabbards are often separated by incident, accident and the passing of time. Blades get worn out, scabbards get damaged and dealers will put stuff together to get a better looking piece and a better price. In cultures where a blade is a marker of rank and masculinity the owner will regularly upgrade the mounts and scabbard while keeping the blade that has served him well when needed.
Attached Images

David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2022, 06:31 PM   #20
Duccio

Hello everyone,
I would like to know from khukri experts if this purchase of mine is just tourist stall stuff or not. I was curious about the horn handle, carved in a rather unusual shape. For the rest, both the knife and the scabbard seem very recent to me.
Thanks to those who will be able to tell me something.
Attached Images

Duccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2022, 06:58 PM   #21
kai

Lightbulb

Try using it...
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2022, 07:55 PM   #22
kronckew

The scabbard & rounded blade spine are an old style, designed for sash carry rather than a belt. Handle carving looks uncomfortable for everyday use. Real working khuks are generally made now of car/truck spring steel, high carbon. And differentially hardened around the 'sweet spot' of the blade where you chop, and softer near the tip and pommel ends so that they bend rather than snap in half. You can straighten a bent blade it the field, but a snapped blade is essentially useless. They typically have a short stub tang held in the grip by Himalayan epoxy (called laha, pine resin and buffalo dung with a dash of beeswax and brick dust. it's a form cutler cement). Full length tangs and full exposed tangs & rivets grip slabs are more for western owners. Nepalis figure a stub tang will only last about 5 years of heavy use before they need to replace the grip. full tang will last ten, an exposed 'chiruwa' tang and slabs will last twenty, and the blade will last generations. Most users out in the country can either make their own replacement grips, or have a village smith who can do it cheaply for them.

Anyway, yours looks like a relatively inexpensive decorative piece for rememberance by those who travel. I suspect it's relatively small sized for a khuk.
Old 4th February 2022, 11:37 AM   #23
Duccio

Thank you very much, Kronckew, for the thorough technical explanation, it is always a pleasure to learn something new. Too bad my khukuri isn't interesting at all ... I'll use it to peel potatoes.
Cheers to you.
Duccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2022, 11:47 AM   #24
David R

Hiya Duccio, I think what you have is the remains of a real Kukri, of some age and interest, that got itself wrecked somehow, and then reworked into something "saleable".

The blades has been shortened from the tang end, removing most of the kaudi in the process, and the remains of the grip carved into a fantasy crocodile head.The scabbard is of traditional form, even down to the "Eyes of Kali" on the retaining thong.
One can only speculate as to what destroyed it to the point where it is now.

PS, I think it would have been better posted as it's own thread, rather than tagged onto this specific discussion of Kothimori. I wonder if the admins could do something about that.
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2022, 12:58 PM   #25
kronckew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duccio View Post
Thank you very much, Kronckew, for the thorough technical explanation, it is always a pleasure to learn something new. Too bad my khukuri isn't interesting at all ... I'll use it to peel potatoes.
Cheers to you.

It's still interesting - look at all the correspondence here

I know a Nepali lady that used to carry a khukuri with a 6in. blade, very small for one, in her handbag in Nepal. She was riding a bus where some unruly thugs started harassing people, she pulled out her khuk and displayed it prominently on her lap. They left her alone. She now lives in the USA and sells handmade Khukuris made in Nepal in a smithy she owns.

I have a small (6in. blade) old one that would suit for handbag carry, see below. also have a larger 16 in. beast i call 'Godzilla' that is for other uses as well. it's above in its scabbard along with the half-moon one, it ringed for a bladric. The salyani just above it has the old-style scabbard like yours.

Food:
See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DHGlhFJH0g

The guy wielding the khuk is a professional chef, as well as a knife collector.

I also have a few more assorted khukuris in addition to the hanshee kothimora up top.

(all are shaving sharp)

p.s. - what David said about the kaudi/cho notch near the grip on yours is reasonable, they are usually more pronounced. They do have a lot of variety, include closed versions as well ad the more common open ones. I'll stick a picture of a closed one of mine below, plus one of an asortment of shapes found on the internet.
Attached Images

Last edited by kronckew; 4th February 2022 at 02:00 PM.
Old 4th February 2022, 06:19 PM   #26
BBJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duccio View Post
Hello everyone,
I would like to know from khukri experts if this purchase of mine is just tourist stall stuff or not. I was curious about the horn handle, carved in a rather unusual shape. For the rest, both the knife and the scabbard seem very recent to me.
Thanks to those who will be able to tell me something.
The carved grip is called a 'garuda'. The karda and chakmak appear to be low quality replacements.-- bbjw

Last edited by BBJW; 4th February 2022 at 08:00 PM. Reason: spelling error mistype
Old 5th February 2022, 12:28 AM   #27
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up Kitchen Confidential

My century old Kukri is used quite frequently at our house. I don't use it for veggies really; but if you want to split a chicken breast or a whole bird it is my go-to knife for such work.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2022, 08:01 PM   #28
BBJW

The last photo on the bottom left is called 'eye of dove style'.-- bbjw

QUOTE=kronckew;269596]It's still interesting - look at all the correspondence here

I know a Nepali lady that used to carry a khukuri with a 6in. blade, very small for one, in her handbag in Nepal. She was riding a bus where some unruly thugs started harassing people, she pulled out her khuk and displayed it prominently on her lap. They left her alone. She now lives in the USA and sells handmade Khukuris made in Nepal in a smithy she owns.

I have a small (6in. blade) old one that would suit for handbag carry, see below. also have a larger 16 in. beast i call 'Godzilla' that is for other uses as well. it's above in its scabbard along with the half-moon one, it ringed for a bladric. The salyani just above it has the old-style scabbard like yours.

Food:
See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DHGlhFJH0g

The guy wielding the khuk is a professional chef, as well as a knife collector.

I also have a few more assorted khukuris in addition to the hanshee kothimora up top.

(all are shaving sharp)

p.s. - what David said about the kaudi/cho notch near the grip on yours is reasonable, they are usually more pronounced. They do have a lot of variety, include closed versions as well ad the more common open ones. I'll stick a picture of a closed one of mine below, plus one of an asortment of shapes found on the internet.[/QUOTE]