Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th September 2006, 06:18 AM   #1
Antonio Cejunior

Default 500 years of Portuguese-Siamese relations

Hi everyone,

This may be directly related to all the Dha collectors interested.

Please follow this link to my forum thread.

I would like to further add the following information.

Portugal's earlier contacts with Siam date back immediately after the conquest of Malacca (1511) by the great Afonso de Albuquerque. By defeating the Sultan of Malacca, the Portuguese did not only crash an enemy of their own country but a rival of Siam's Ayuthia Empire as well.
With such a feat to their credit, the path was cleared for the setting-up of friendly ties between Portugal and the Kindgdom of Siam, and the doors to a new trade relationship obviously opened, a chance that Portugal would not let pass by.
Instrumental in the estbalsihment of relations between the two countries were simple envoys such as Duarte Fernandes (the conveyor of our first friendly message), ambassadors like António de Miranda Azevedo and, in 1517, Duarte Coelho who receive his instructions from King D. Manuel I himself.

Meanwhile, contacts with Siam fared very smoothly, without the slightest shade of a misunderstanding (only too natural in view of the linguistic differences). The Portuguese earned the spontaneous trust of the King of Siam, who sent gifts to Albuquerque and to the Portuguese crown and allowed the setting-up of a Portuguese coat of arms in the Siamese capital. He also provided shelter to Portuguese traders in the ports of the country and, in an unprecedent show of trust, welcomed some of the Portuguese warriors into his own army.

This first phase of prosperous trade relations makes way for the Church to set in, in view of the eclectic nature of local religion. These full and friendly relations lasted for more than one century.
However, the Spanish Domination of Portugal (for 60 years) and the ensuing Dutch attacks on the spice islands (where until then the Portuguese operated as the soul intermediary to Europe) promted a counter-attack in all fronts, namely where trade policies were concerned.

Meanwhile, in 1613, Filipe de Brito conquers neighbouring Pegu to the Portuguese, thus somewhat offsetting the problems caused by Dutch rivalry.

When in 1614 (under the influence of the Dutch) Japan began bannishing Christians, many of them sough refuge and a way to make a living in Southeast Asian countries, Macau and also Siam where they were welcomed by the local population but also by some of their brothers in faith of Portuguese descent, who had established themselves and lived in the country for several generations. They eventually formed a considerably strong group and revived the concept of a trade journey, this time more oriented to dialogue with Macau rather than Goa, because of their Far-Eastern origin.

Relations between Siam and Macau intensified throughout the whole of the 17th. century giving rise to the establishment of a Portuguese Settlement "feitoria" in Bangkok.

Despite the Portuguese title-name of the settlement, Macau was really the main beneficiary of this diplomatic/trade relation and it was Macau's responsibility and privilege to appoint and keep the settlement's Chief or Consul or, in their absence, a Political and Trade Agent.

Many of these accounts and documents are in the Historical Archives of Macau.

I, as a Portuguese of Macau (Asian born) feel extremmely proud that the Thai people and researchers from the Ayuthaya period and later, are so fond of the Portuguese whom they consider the first foreigners to set foot in the Kingdom of Siam.

Unfortunately my knowledge on the subject is quite limited though I have been invited to visit Ayuthaya when I can.

Hope this can shed some light on the Commemorations that will take place in 2011.
Antonio Cejunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2006, 04:49 PM   #2
Mark

Hi, Antonio. This is a very interesting commemoration. I know that Portugal played a very significant role in the the history of continental Southeast Asia by virtue of the fact that it had a virtual monopoly on modern weapons technology, and pursued the very wise policy of establishing amicable relations with the kingdoms rather than attempt conquest. This is distinct from the policy pursued on Indonesia, where control of Malacca gave enormous commercial and political power to Portugal in the region (probably making further territorial acquisitions unnecessary).

I was not aware, however, that such a close relationship between Siam and Portugal has lasted to this day. It does make sense, as Portugal, at least officially, consistently took the side of Siam in its conflicts with Burma, often being a critical factor in defending Siam against Burmese invasions (most of the time it was Burma invading Siam).

I posted over on BladesignForum a reply with some detail about de Brito, who is an important historical figure, though unfortunately not one remembered with fondness by the Burmese. Briefly, de Brito came to southern Burma as a cabin boy, and entered the service of the king of Arakan, who at the time controled Lower Burma. Within a couple years he parlayed his knowledge of modern military technology (gun, cannon and gun-powder making, and fort building) into appointment as the governer of the main port of Lower Burma, Syriam. He then declared himself independent, and with the help of the Siamese extended his control over most of Lower Burma, receiving recognition from the Viceroy of Goa as the ruler of Syriam and Lower Burma (along with some men and guns). Its a pretty amazing leverage of technical knowledge into political power. Unfortunately, de Brito was more pirate than diplomat, and showing a great contempt for Buddhism, plundering temples and pagodas. This eventually lead to an uprising against him, backed by the King of Burma, and de Brito ended up impaled on a stake.

De Brito's exploits were atypical for how Portugal handled relations with most East Asian countries, though. Their big asset (at least in Burma and Siam) were weapons for trade, and weapons technology itself, which they used as a basis for establishing firm relations. Military superiority used as a trade commodity, rather than for conquest. Interestingly, there is a group of people in Burma that are descended from Portuguese metallurgists and gunners who entered the service of the king hundreds of years ago, and settled permanently, intermarrying with the Burmese. They apparently remain a distinct community today.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2006, 03:13 AM   #3
Antonio Cejunior

Default The Bayingyi of the River Mu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bowditch
De Brito's exploits were atypical for how Portugal handled relations with most East Asian countries, though. Their big asset (at least in Burma and Siam) were weapons for trade, and weapons technology itself, which they used as a basis for establishing firm relations. Military superiority used as a trade commodity, rather than for conquest. Interestingly, there is a group of people in Burma that are descended from Portuguese metallurgists and gunners who entered the service of the king hundreds of years ago, and settled permanently, intermarrying with the Burmese. They apparently remain a distinct community today.
Hi Mark,

Indeed, and as a Portuguese from Asia, I am very touched by this. At this historical distance it is of the utmost importance for the world to, in total honesty acknowledge the importance of the Portuguese and to further study the travels of Fernão Mendes Pinto, classified as an adventurer but whose life would make one big movie as sometimes reality transcends fiction.

I happen to finished scanning some photographs of that community in Burma that you mention.
I hope you and everyone else interested can find the Bayingyi of the River Mu a living proof of that miscigenation.

Very best
Old 21st September 2006, 10:17 PM   #4
RhysMichael

Thanks for letting us know about this I look forward to reading it
RhysMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2006, 02:34 AM   #5
Antonio Cejunior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhysMichael
Thanks for letting us know about this I look forward to reading it
Your most welcome. Are you referring to Fernão Mendes Pinto?
I just pointed out to a dear friend this Link
Old 19th October 2006, 04:37 AM   #6
Philip

Default Portuguese in Asia / book recommendation

Gentlemen,
I much enjoyed this thread, thanks to Antonio for the historical information.
One of my "pet" projects is studying and collecting the various forms of the Indo-Portuguese matchlock gun which was introduced into much of SE Asia and the Far East in the early 16th cent., and which remained in use well into the 19th cent. in China/Japan/Korea and even into the 20th in Vietnam and Malaya.

Anyway, I thought you guys would enjoy reading THE LAND OF THE GREAT IMAGE, by Maurice Collis, publ. by Alfred A. Knopf in 1943 (there are subsequent ppb editions). The author, born 1889, was a longtime civil servant for the British colonial administration in Burma. The book chronicles the journey of a Portuguese friar, Sebastiao Manrique, to the southern Burmese region of Arakan early in the 17th cent. Enriching the account of the cleric's adventures are detailed descriptions of Indo-Portuguese society at Goa, the intrigue and power-plays which beset the Burmese court, and a chilling account of an unfortunate Frenchman's experiences with the Inquisition in Portuguese India.
Philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2007, 07:23 PM   #7
~Alaung_Hpaya~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Cejunior
Hi Mark,

Indeed, and as a Portuguese from Asia, I am very touched by this. At this historical distance it is of the utmost importance for the world to, in total honesty acknowledge the importance of the Portuguese and to further study the travels of Fernão Mendes Pinto, classified as an adventurer but whose life would make one big movie as sometimes reality transcends fiction.

I happen to finished scanning some photographs of that community in Burma that you mention.
I hope you and everyone else interested can find the Bayingyi of the River Mu a living proof of that miscigenation.

Very best

The Bayingyi from those I've come across are on the whole mainly distinct by religion alone . They are in all other respects not just Burmese but culturally Bama . Some have distinguishing features like a caucasian nose or are generally of taller , sturdier build or sometimes just hairier than the average Burmese . There are many more Buddhist Burmese who come from the Mu valley and surrounding areas who have distinctly caucasoid features who will no doubt not even be aware that they have Portugese genes.

Burma is a land of great diversity and mixed ethnicity and near enough 400 years has passed . Most Bama are mixed with war captives whether they be Mon , Shan , Lao , Lanna , Siamese , Portugese or Manipuri . At one time a fifth of Ava was populated by war captives .

They are a great example of tolerance from a society and compassion from monarchs . Given the era at which this relocation of war captives occurred and the length of time which has passed , a similar situation in Europe would be unthinkable ( I would imagine forced conversion to Christianity and a brutal suppression of identity ) .
~Alaung_Hpaya~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2007, 07:58 AM   #8
Antonio Cejunior

Thanks for the added information Alaung
The link refers to a book and also a documentary that was made by a photographer and a cameraman, the later stationed in Macau and the former is an ex-resident.
Tolerance has always been the Eastern principle.

I have never been to Burma, but one of the Museum drivers is Burmese, and we sometimes talk a lot, although he does not know the Bayingyi. But I have been to Thailand often enough to love Thai people.

There's a book called Ou Mun Kei Leok, Memoirs/Registries of Macau done by two schollarly Mandarins of the 17th. century where they analyze the Portuguese in Macau and their habits.

Even in those days, Buddhist priests considered their catholic counterparts as colleagues while the later defined the monks as envoys of the demon.
So much for fundamentalism...
Old 20th March 2007, 12:40 PM   #9
~Alaung_Hpaya~

My family have a distinctive non Burmese nose and many are afflicted by European body hair . Although no one knows for sure , it is frequently joked that we must have Portugese ancestors .

Two of my great grandparents come from the Mu area ( which is considered one of the Bama heartlands ) and it is from them that the dominant nose is inherited . I am also informed that a great great great grandfather from that line and his brother served in the king's army . One in the cavalry and the other as a gunner . Portugese descendants have been part of the Royal Gunners since the 17th century .

Quote:
The Burmese king Mindon (1853-1876) moved the capital of his kingdom to Mandalay in June 1857. A painting from that period shows dark red, three-pointed flags with a black cross in the middle. It is not known if these flags were Mindon's standards, army or national flags. The cross might be associated with Christianity since missionaries were already present in the area in the 1850's. The British troops entered in Mandalay on 28 November 1885 and Burma was attached to the British Empire on 1 January 1886. The new colony of Upper-Burma was later attached to Indian Empire on 26 February 1886.
Source: H. Calvarin, Franciae Vexilla #20/66, December 2000.
Ivan Sache, 19 December 2000
Flags of Burma : Historical

This author correctly speculates that the cross represents christianity but is not aware that this is the standard of King Mindon's household artillery who were predominantly made up of Christian Portugese descendants.

There are probably thousands of Portugese descendants in Burma .
~Alaung_Hpaya~ is offline   Reply With Quote