Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 17th September 2018, 05:04 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default A Legit(older) Wedung or a Tourist Version?

I picked up this wedong recently and wondered about its age...or lack thereof...

Whether old or more recent, I like it. The work is clearly of quality. The scabbard I would imagine is more recent, but beautifully and elegantly made with low-grade gold mounts to the horn belt attachment and an inset cartouche of gold-plated metal and low-grade gems. The blade is of a slightly unusual form for a wedong, being somewhat elongated and with less of a "belly". The hilt is beautiful wood with a gilded bolster that blends directly into the blade and it gilded forte. Along the spine, the gilded areas show a very nice pattern of floral motifs, quite worn on the exposed portion, less so on the portion protected by the scabbard. The blade shows some age around the tip, perhaps from acid washes.

So, gentleman, what have I got here...old? new? a little of both?

Dimensions:
Overall length, complete piece: 21.5in.
Blade length: 14in.
Blade's widest point: 1.5in.
Thickness at the top of the forte: .5in.
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2018, 10:03 PM   #2
Ren Ren

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesS
a little of both?
I think this is really true.
Ren Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 09:20 AM   #3
A. G. Maisey

It looks to me as if it has been made from a keris or tombak blade, not necessarily a mark against it, it could well have been a pusaka that the original owner wanted as a part of his court dress.

Workmanship appears to be fine, everything that can be seen is correct and fine quality.

I would be inclined to accept it as having been made with the intention of wear as a part of court dress --- a wedung has no role outside of court dress.

Since the blade is pamor, and dress style seems to be Surakarta, it is possible that this wedung was originally made for a prince, the externally visible red stones in the scabbard ornament would seem to confirm this.

I doubt that it is particularly old, possibly late colonial era or even as late as the 1960's.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 12:10 PM   #4
CharlesS

Thanks, Alan, very helpful as always!
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2018, 06:52 PM   #5
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Hi Charles,

As always you have a fine eye for nice pieces. It's not my area at all, but this does look like a high quality piece and I'm pleased Alan assessed it as such. Congratulations again on finding another "odd" one for your collection.

Ian
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote