Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd March 2016, 10:40 PM   #1
Miguel

Default Yataghans

Hello Everyone,

I would like to share these two rather worn Yataghans in the hope that the more knowledgeable of you about this type of weapon can identify origin and approximate age etc.
No 1:- Scabbard is wood covered in black leather with silvered steel locket and chape. The eared hilt is made of bone or ivory riveted to the tang with Coral and Stone decoration. The blade has what appears to be an Islamic inscription in gold koftgari with a seal of Solomon and a deep blade stamp.
O/L 28.25 ins with blade length of 22.5 ins x 1.125 to 1.5 ins wide.

No 2:- Scabbard is wood covered with what appears to be Lizard skin and having brass locket and chape. the hilt is similar to No 1 but the decoration is of better quality. The blade has what appears to be Islamic inscriptions in Silver koftgari ( very worn ) on both sides.
O/L 28.75 with blade length of 22.75 ins x 1.125 ins wide.
Thanking you in anticipation.
Miguel.
No 1:-
Attached Images

Miguel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 10:48 PM   #2
Miguel

No 2:- Photos
Attached Images

Old 22nd March 2016, 11:08 PM   #3
ariel

What do you mean, - worn?

They are old and they earned every wrinkle, scar and spot:-)

Very good yats. Congratulations!!!
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2016, 11:52 PM   #4
TVV

Very nice yataghans Miguel, thank you for sharing. generally speaking, yataghans with big ears of walrus ivory are attributed to the Western Balkans. The first one is very typical, possibly made in Bosnia. The steel furniture on the scabbard is a little more unusual and could be a case of some Western influence.

The second yatghan has lovely silver band and bolsters, in a style associated with Greece. The scabbard with the reptile skin and the shiny brass chape looks to me like a more recent repair/replacement. The chape almost looks like something out of India/Afghanistan and it is possible the whole thing was put together with spare parts, as the reptile skin appears to be glued and not stitched.

Sincerely,
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2016, 08:48 PM   #5
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
What do you mean, - worn?

They are old and they earned every wrinkle, scar and spot:-)

Very good yats. Congratulations!!!
Thanks Ariel I am pleased that you like them, have you any idea of how old they might be ?
Regards
Miguel
Old 25th March 2016, 09:07 PM   #6
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
Very nice yataghans Miguel, thank you for sharing. generally speaking, yataghans with big ears of walrus ivory are attributed to the Western Balkans. The first one is very typical, possibly made in Bosnia. The steel furniture on the scabbard is a little more unusual and could be a case of some Western influence.

The second yatghan has lovely silver band and bolsters, in a style associated with Greece. The scabbard with the reptile skin and the shiny brass chape looks to me like a more recent repair/replacement. The chape almost looks like something out of India/Afghanistan and it is possible the whole thing was put together with spare parts, as the reptile skin appears to be glued and not stitched.

Sincerely,
Teodor
Thank you for your comments Teodor I am much obliged for this information. I had a feeling myself about the scabbard of No 2 not being quite right and I think your comments re being put together with spare parts may well be the case, I have compared the chape with the ones on my Khyber Knife scabbards and they are similar.
You did not comment on the `Seal of Solomon` inscription and I would be grateful to learn whether it is talismanic or something else.
Regards
Miguel
Old 26th March 2016, 06:42 AM   #7
estcrh

Is this scabbard old or new/newish?
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2016, 02:15 PM   #8
Miguel

From it`s condition externaly and from the wooden liners I believe it to be old
Miguel
Old 27th March 2016, 06:39 PM   #9
TVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel
You did not comment on the `Seal of Solomon` inscription and I would be grateful to learn whether it is talismanic or something else.
Regards
Miguel
Miguel,

The so-called seal of Solomon was actually quite common on yataghans. Its symbolism perhaps was a representation of the vastness of the universe. If you do a search, I believe there have been some discussions on its use and meaning in older threads.

Regards,
Teodor
TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2016, 10:15 PM   #10
estcrh

Quote:
From it`s condition externaly and from the wooden liners I believe it to be old
Miguel
If you have a better picture of the scabbard mounts I would like to see them. Here is another yatagan that is extremely similar to yours.
Attached Images

Old 29th March 2016, 07:02 PM   #11
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
Miguel,

The so-called seal of Solomon was actually quite common on yataghans. Its symbolism perhaps was a representation of the vastness of the universe. If you do a search, I believe there have been some discussions on its use and meaning in older threads.

Regards,
Teodor
Thanks Teodor, I am much obliged for the information.
Regards
Miguel
Old 29th March 2016, 07:14 PM   #12
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
If you have a better picture of the scabbard mounts I would like to see them. Here is another yatagan that is extremely similar to yours.
I will try and take some better photos of the fittings for you but you may have to wait a day or two as I will have to retrieve it from its storage box in the loft but it wont be any problem. Your Yataghans and scabbard do look very similar and it will be interest to compare the scabbard fittings. I hope the photos will be good enough as I think you know I am pretty hopeless with the camera anyway I will do my best.
Regards
Miguel
Old 31st March 2016, 06:51 PM   #13
Miguel

Hi estcrh,

Photos as promised hope they are OK for your purpose. Miguel
Attached Images

Old 1st April 2016, 03:59 PM   #14
estcrh

Quote:
Hi estcrh,

Photos as promised hope they are OK for your purpose. Miguel
Thanks Miquel, so it looks like the pattern is made from strips of metal crossing over each other that have been applied on top of the throat and chape, is this correct?
Attached Images

Old 2nd April 2016, 03:43 PM   #15
Miguel

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
Thanks Miquel, so it looks like the pattern is made from strips of metal crossing over each other that have been applied on top of the throat and chape, is this correct?
Its a pleasure, Yes you are perfectly correct. I had not noticed this before your query so I checked. The throat piece is a slightly loose due to shrinking leather and wood so I slipped it partly off the scabbard to look and feel inside which was perfectly smooth and free of any impressions in the metal. Well spotted. Is it appropriate to ask why you wanted this info?
Regards
Miguel
Old 2nd April 2016, 04:02 PM   #16
estcrh

Quote:
Its a pleasure, Yes you are perfectly correct. I had not noticed this before your query so I checked. The throat piece is a slightly loose due to shrinking leather and wood so I slipped it partly off the scabbard to look and feel inside which was perfectly smooth and free of any impressions in the metal. Well spotted. Is it appropriate to ask why you wanted this info?
Regards
Miguel
This is not a technique I have seen on a yatagan scabbard before, the chape and the throat have different designs, and this method of applying crossing metal strips to the scabbard must have been difficult to do, it is just unusual, maybe another one like it will turn up.
Old 2nd April 2016, 05:02 PM   #17
ariel

The last pic suggests that the "strips" we're not applied to flat metal ( no trace of welding or other similar technique). Rather, they were hammered out from the other side of the sheet metal, then it was bent and formed into a scabbard fitting.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2016, 12:40 AM   #18
estcrh

Quote:
The last pic suggests that the "strips" we're not applied to flat metal ( no trace of welding or other similar technique). Rather, they were hammered out from the other side of the sheet metal, then it was bent and formed into a scabbard fitting.
Miquel should be able to answer this question, are they actual applied strips of metal on top of a base of sheet metal or are the simulated designs that were hammered out from the inside of a sheet of metal.
Attached Images

Old 4th April 2016, 07:33 PM   #19
Miguel

Quote:
I believe you are correct and the chape made in a more conventional way. I can not easily remove the chape to check the internal surface but there is really no need. As Estcrh said it is an unusual and difficult way to apply the decoration to the throat piece and also that this decoration does not match that on the chape. I wonder if this is a replacent thrat piece or the original was plain and the strips applied in an attempt to match the chape, whatever it is a good piece of workmansip.
Regards
Miguel