Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 12th February 2016, 04:28 AM   #91
mahratt

By the way, a little more about the three rivet.

http://www.oriental-arms.com/item.php?id=4632
Attached Images

Last edited by mahratt; 12th February 2016 at 06:50 AM.
mahratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 08:18 AM   #92
mahratt

Beautiful Bukhara shashka of collection Gavin:

http://www.swordsantiqueweapons.com/s355_full.html
Attached Images

Old 15th February 2016, 04:09 PM   #93
estcrh

This seems to be a Bukharan shashka or is it?
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2016, 04:37 PM   #94
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by estcrh
This seems to be a Bukharan shashka or is it?
Afghanistan...
Old 24th February 2016, 06:41 PM   #95
mahratt

Our esteemed Ariel suddenly remembered that in addition to Bukhara existed Khiva Khanate and existed Kokand Khanate
And Ariel writes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Sorry, I must have missed your post with Bukharan shashka with 3 rivets. Unless you refer to the heavily re-worked and modified one that is attributed by the Hermitage not to Bukhara, but to Khiva, with 7 rivets, that you yourself defined as an inappropriate example on a Russian forum. Moreover, the color of the rivets ( dark or bright) tells us nothing: as can be seen on my Bukharan shashkas ( thanks for the pics), their rivets are very shiny: it depends on the metal.
Please indicate the exact number of a post with this info.

On my picture, the handle with 3 big rivets belongs to the Afghani pseudoshashka. Nothing Bukharan.
I have to repeat my post to Ariel understood me (forgive me for my bad english).

In this topic, I showed a few Shashka of Bukhara with three rivets. And I think that this is enough. Now you insist that I show Bukhara shashkas with large rivets. Perhaps you began to doubt that the shashkas, which you have shown (with small rivets) from Bukhara?
Do not worry. This is a good shashkas. I even a little jealous of you.

Here is shashkas of which I speak. They have small rivets, but you wrote yourself, it's Bukhara shashkas. I'm sorry that I remind you of this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
...whereas the two lower ones ( both Bukharan shashkas) with 5 small rivets...
Attached Images

Old 24th February 2016, 07:22 PM   #96
Emanuel

Beautiful!!

I know nothing about these swords. Any corelation between the brittleness of the handle scale material and the size/number of rivets?

I imagine it would be harder to drill the larger rivet holes in more brittle material like jade, agate and turqoise, than in softer material like wood, horn and ivory. Hence the use of multiple thinner pins/rivets.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 07:38 PM   #97
mahratt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanuel
Beautiful!!

I know nothing about these swords. Any corelation between the brittleness of the handle scale material and the size/number of rivets?

I imagine it would be harder to drill the larger rivet holes in more brittle material like jade, agate and turqoise, than in softer material like wood, horn and ivory. Hence the use of multiple thinner pins/rivets.
Absolutely, Emmanuel.
If the handle of horn or wood - often large rivets. If the handle of stone or bone - small rivets.
But the main thing is the words Torben Flindt, who for some reason sometimes lead to misunderstanding that: "When wood or horn were used, the gripshells were held together by three to five rather large iron rivets whose size may be regarded as a Bukharan characteristic" while that seems not always exclusively the case.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 24th February 2016 at 07:48 PM. Reason: wording more clearly adjusted
Old 25th February 2016, 01:02 PM   #98
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahratt
Here is shashkas of which I speak. They have small rivets, but you wrote yourself, it's Bukhara shashkas. I'm sorry that I remind you of this:
With regards to the image presented by Ariel and re-presented by Mahratt, in particular the ivory hilted example, this is not Buhkara in my opinion, it is Afghan, North India.
I say this based on the small iron bolster present. This is typically a North Indian Karud feature, not a Bukhara feature.

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote