Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 22nd June 2011, 02:09 PM   #1
Dmitry

Default Has anyone seen anything similar to this sword?

I've only spent a couple of minutes looking at this sword, and the blade initially reminded me of nimchas, because of its smaller size and abrupt curvature. The script looked amharic, but an expert collector of Ethiopian swords confirmed that it wasn't. The hilt also steered me towards the realm of Islam - the Hamsa Hand, but it doesn't really look like other representations of it.
The script could be just a collection talismanic symbols. Unfortunately the photo of what appears to be a winged figure came out blurry.
Attached Images

Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 02:16 PM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Default nice

A very nice and unusual piece.

I get the feel it might be Hungarian and I do believe you are correct in your assessment of the hand, I too would say it is the hand of Fatima.

I look forward to other assessments.

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 02:41 PM   #3
ALEX

Tha hand looks more Asian then Islamic. Perhaps Indonesian or Indian...Hand of Buddha???
ALEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 03:14 PM   #4
Gavin Nugent

Interesting to note the back of the hand is covered in flames while the palm is not. The guard shows vine leaves and grapes. Also there seems to be an angel with a sun above it to one side, the reverse seems to be a parasol with ?fire? under it???

These references might help with some leads....bed time for me, I look forward to seeing whats here in the morning.....Jim's going to love this one!!

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 03:35 PM   #5
Dmitry

Here's another photo of the front of the blade. Note the crown underneath the umbrella. I am really angry with myself for not taking a better photo of the figure on the other side of the blade.
The sword belongs to the Higgins Armory Museum, and I'm trying to help the curator properly ID it for the exhibition they'll be opening up soon.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dmitry; 22nd June 2011 at 03:46 PM.
Dmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 05:16 PM   #6
RSWORD

The blade looks Indian to my eyes and do I see an Indian parasol mark?
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 10:50 PM   #7
napoleon

Default the hand sword

i think the script is possibly a form of cyrillic.to me it says eastern europe,does it have a scabbard,and if so is it in the form of a sleeve regards napoleon
napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:03 PM   #8
napoleon

Default hand sword

in fact i think it could be seen as an ultimatum, in as much it could be viewed as the hand of peace or the hand of fire.i dont think it to be the hand of fatima.and i feel sure it is a very special piece,but europe im sure regards napoleon
napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 01:36 AM   #9
Redjack

The script seems to be cyrillic. Anyone with a knowledge of Russian should decipher it. When the sword is held, is it comfortable to wield?, or does it seem purely ornamental or ceremonial?
Redjack is offline   Reply With Quote