Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi

Old 12th March 2005, 10:00 AM   #1
Alam Shah

Default A keris for comment

I have recently bought this piece, an average piece. This is what I was told about this keris.

A keris of Southern Sumatran, Bugis Riau provenance. Handle is the typical Bugis kerdas style, made of ivory, and fitted with a repoussed silver pendoko.

Top sheath (or sampir in Malay) is made of kemuning woods. Bottom stem (or batang in Malay), is wood and fully encased with finely repoussed silver. Different motifs at the front and back.

Blade has 11 luks, well executed and deep perabots which includes the kembang kacang nguku bima. Pamor patterns are arranged in the mlumah technique and are called pamor Banyu Tretes, (or dripping water).
It is said to enhance the owner's material well being as well as a protective pamor.
I was told, the blade should go back to late 18th century with a late 19th century fittings.

The blade had recently gone through traditional cleaning ritual. It was blackish before cleaning. Now it's more whitish.
Let me know your opinions on this piece.
Attached Images

Last edited by Alam Shah; 13th March 2005 at 01:25 AM.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2005, 10:03 AM   #2
Alam Shah

Default Closer picture

Closer shots...
Attached Images

Old 12th March 2005, 05:10 PM   #3
DAHenkel

This keris is not Riau and is not Bugis - Straits or otherwise. Its East Sumatran and probably belonged to a Malay. the blade is Javanese and appears to be of the kodi variety - a trade blade but decent pamor. Banyu netes - I don't know though - I would have said kulit semangka. The silver is new - no more than a few years. I've seen a lot of this coming on the market lately.
DAHenkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th March 2005, 05:29 PM   #4
Alam Shah

Thanks Dave,
Your comments are noted. Would you elaborate more regarding "the kodi variety".

Last edited by Alam Shah; 13th March 2005 at 01:37 AM.
Old 13th March 2005, 02:51 AM   #5
BluErf

Something off the discussion of this keris -- what makes a keris kodi a keris kodi? Is it quality/form of the blade, the original intent for the blade at the time of manufacture, or does it just apply to keris blades that have been sold to another island, regardless of quality or intent?

We see Javanese blades in Bugis or Malay dress all the time. I recently acquired an E Sumatran keris (or so I thought) with a blade that was clearly E Javanese. What was more amazing was that after a few days, I saw another keris (belonging to another collector) in Sulawesi dress, with the same E Javanese form of blade. These blades are generally well-made, with full perabots and really nice ron dha, greneng, kembang kacang, sogokan and luks. Would these be considered 'trade blades'?

If a blade like this one (currently in Solo dress) were to get sold to another island, would it be considered a 'trade blade'? The way I see it this blade may be slightly nicer than Alam Shah's blade, but essentially of the same level.
Attached Images

BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2005, 03:15 AM   #6
BluErf

The E Sumatran keris in question.
Attached Images

BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2005, 03:29 PM   #7
Alam Shah

Default Comment on your blade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluErf
If a blade like this one (currently in Solo dress) were to get sold to another island, would it be considered a 'trade blade'? The way I see it this blade may be slightly nicer than Alam Shah's blade, but essentially of the same level.
Blu - I agree that your blade is nicer, looks more refined, while mine is cruder.

Last edited by Alam Shah; 13th March 2005 at 11:36 PM.