Bill M

Default My latest Kampilan!

NOT!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230208958959
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 10:53 PM   #2
carlos

Default INCREDIBLE

OHH!! WHAT IS THE REASON THIS KAMPILAN HAD BEEN SOLD WITH THIS HIGH PRICE?
BEST REGARDS
CARLOS
carlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 11:27 PM   #3
David
Keris forum moderator

That's insane!
Interesting that it went from $800 to $2025 in just the last 2 minutes of the auction.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2008, 11:47 PM   #4
Gavin Nugent

Default And not even a sheath

The world has gone mad!! Amazing!!! I know the world has gone crazy with prices realised of recent years for almost anything old and unusual and I do think it is a sign of the times ahead for those wanting to collect rare and unusual items.

I tried to obtain two lovely pieces recently and my uncle was prepared to spot me $6000 to do so, but me in my infinite wisdom I said I wont need that much they will go for much less, but alas he hit the nail on the head and then upon my disappointment explained how he has seen the markets go crazy in decades past, and gave me a good many comparisons as to why i should have bid to win, not what i thought it would go for. Heck I should know I took him to IAG auction house on the Gold Coast in Australia to deliver a bank note he put away in the 60's and it is expected to reach $5000 on the day this March. Worse yet, one note they have for auction, be that it was the first ever bank note printed in Australia, WILL sell for about 1.2million dollars plus buyer premium and there are interested parties who want it and will pay it.

Although there is a hundred thousand tonne of stock being constantly circulated around this world we live in, I honestly think it will get worse so we all best keep ferreting out the bargains as there are still many bargains to be had too.

regards

Gavin
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 12:48 AM   #5
kahnjar1

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebooter
The world has gone mad!! Amazing!!! I know the world has gone crazy with prices realised of recent years for almost anything old and unusual and I do think it is a sign of the times ahead for those wanting to collect rare and unusual items.

I tried to obtain two lovely pieces recently and my uncle was prepared to spot me $6000 to do so, but me in my infinite wisdom I said I wont need that much they will go for much less, but alas he hit the nail on the head and then upon my disappointment explained how he has seen the markets go crazy in decades past, and gave me a good many comparisons as to why i should have bid to win, not what i thought it would go for. Heck I should know I took him to IAG auction house on the Gold Coast in Australia to deliver a bank note he put away in the 60's and it is expected to reach $5000 on the day this March. Worse yet, one note they have for auction, be that it was the first ever bank note printed in Australia, WILL sell for about 1.2million dollars plus buyer premium and there are interested parties who want it and will pay it.

Although there is a hundred thousand tonne of stock being constantly circulated around this world we live in, I honestly think it will get worse so we all best keep ferreting out the bargains as there are still many bargains to be had too.

regards

Gavin
I have to agree with Gavin, that bargains are still to be had, BUT, it IS becoming harder!
For those of us in the Southern Hemisphere, and certainly from my experience, the prices realised on Ebay tend to be lower in the Northern summer. My thoughts on that are that potential Northern hemisphere buyers tend to spend more time outside doing other things when the weather is warmer, rather than sitting in front of their computer. Just a thought anyway!
Now to the exhorbitant prices sometimes realised..............
1. Do buyers really know what it is that they are bidding on?
2.Do they REALLY believe the BS that some sellers put in the description of their items, especially since at lot of the pics are of poor quality?
3.Do they really investigate what an item is actually worth before bidding? It is very easy to go to the "completed listings" search to check what stuff is fetching.
4.Since all bids on this particular item were "private", is there anything stopping the seller from "hiking" the bids, especially if he has more than one user ID.
At the end of the day, there is always the old adage:Let the Buyer Beware
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 02:11 AM   #6
Andrew

Personally, I think that auction result is bogus. I suspect we'll see the item relisted when the seller doesn't get paid.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 02:25 AM   #7
CharlesS

I agree with Andrew.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 02:33 AM   #8
Bill M

Something here does not pass the "nose test."
Old 6th January 2008, 02:48 AM   #9
Gavin Nugent

Default I hope I get a second chance offer then!

Keep us all posted if you do see it come up for auction again, I would like to watch it run again, maybe I will yet get a second chance offer on the 2 items I missed, in which case I better use escrow for the purchase.

Lets face it, we all want a bargain, that's why we look for these "sleepers" in auction houses and other places, it then in turns adds more value to our collections because we know the purchase value and true worth of these items. Who knows, this buyer may have 40 different varieties of this sword(are there 40?)and this may just be one example he/she doesn't have, to some, money is not important to fill in key missing pieces of a collection. I too have seen people pay high prices just to "keep up with the Jones". I have also seen many things suddenly come into vogue fetching high prices because other interests that once were in vogue are now too high in value, I am no way saying it will but this auction may well be an indication of how these items will now move in the future.

All the best

Gav
Old 6th January 2008, 12:00 PM   #10
Dajak

Real quality has his price that is what we all have to live with , sometimes you get a bargain but the real quality stuf mostly cost money .

The only thing is are you willing to pay it , there are enough that are willing to pay the price .

Good stuff is also an good investment sometimes better than money on the bank .

Ben

ps in my opinion this kampilan is overpriced
Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 01:11 PM   #11
CharlesS

But that's just it....if there were something extraordinary about the kampillan I would understand, but there's not anything about it that sets it far apart from the norm. So why aren't others...several on Ebay recently...going so high??

Am I missing something???
Old 6th January 2008, 01:24 PM   #12
Lew
(deceased)

Charles

There is a simple explantion. The orbiting mother ship is beaming messages to these bidders so get out the aluminum foil and start making those silly hats . I think this was a scam auction private bidders and all

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 04:55 PM   #13
CharlesS

Right on, Lew! I agree.
Old 6th January 2008, 06:33 PM   #14
Bill M

NQAI (new acronym) No Question About It. Something wrong here.

Ben is certainly right. Good stuff should bring a good price and GREAT stuff should bring a GREAT price! BUT this is only fair to mediocre.

I can't figure this out. Have seen a few other auctions like it. The seller should have to pay high eBay fees for a $2025 sale. Unless the seller and bidder agreed to negate the transaction though eBay. This would be transparent to the auction page.

Then, maybe, someone puts up the kampilan in his shop and asks $2025 (or even offers it at a bargain price of $1695) and shows another buyer a copy of the eBay auction that it sold for a LOT of money?

I think that I have seen the pictures of the kampilan somewhere else and connected to someone else.

Just can't remember. They say the second thing to go is your memory. Can't remember the first... goes off babbling
Old 6th January 2008, 06:47 PM   #15
Dajak

Hi Bill the problem did start when Ebay keep the ID secret off the bidders , Ebay is working froud in the hand off those sellers.

Why can t we see who is bidding very strange from ebay .

Ben
Dajak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2008, 07:22 PM   #16
Bill M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dajak
Hi Bill the problem did start when Ebay keep the ID secret off the bidders , Ebay is working froud in the hand off those sellers.

Why can t we see who is bidding very strange from ebay .

Ben

Hi Ben,

I think that the private ID is a seller choice when he lists on eBay.

Usually the bidder's name is hidden in transactions over $200 USD on eBay USA. But the final bidder is named.

The seller has one feedback point as a seller and appears to have never bought or sold anything remotely resembling this kampilan.
Old 6th January 2008, 08:02 PM   #17
Battara
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Charles

There is a simple explantion. The orbiting mother ship is beaming messages to these bidders so get out the aluminum foil and start making those silly hats . I think this was a scam auction private bidders and all

Lew
HEY, HEY....what's wrong with those aluminum hats!
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2008, 04:03 AM   #18
VANDOO
(deceased)

I WAS WATCHING THE KAMPILIAN ALSO AND WAS AMAZED AT WHAT IT WENT FOR. I AGREE THAT IT WENT FOR WAY TO MUCH MONEY BUT IT WAS A NICE ONE. I WOULD BE GLAD TO SELL ANY OF MY KAMPILIANS FOR THAT AMOUNT.

I BOUGHT THE NAGA SWORD HE WAS SELLING IT DID NOT GO CRAZY LIKE THE KAMPILIAN AND I THINK I GOT A GOOD DEAL .
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2008, 02:17 AM   #19
VANDOO
(deceased)

Angry

UPDATE ON THE NAGA SWORD, THE SELLER HAS EVIDENTLY TAKEN THE PICTURES FROM OTHER PLACES AND NEVER HAD THE ITEMS TO SELL. FORTUNATELY FOR ME I WAS ABLE TO GET MY MONEY BACK AS I PAYED THRU PAYPAL. IT IS STILL BAD AS I WOULD RATHER HAVE HAD THE SWORD AND IT WOULD HAVE BEEN A GOOD DEAL, SOMETHING I HAVE NOT FOUND ON EBAY IN A VERY LONG TIME. I HAVE SEEN SOME GOOD DEALS STILL TAKE PLACE FROM TIME TO TIME BUT JUST HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO GET ONE AND WHEN I FINALLY THINK I DID ITS A SCAM. PHOOIE!! OH WELL IT COULD HAVE BEEN WORSE I WISH THE OTHER WINNERS THE LUCK TO GET THEIR MONEY BACK ALSO.

AND AS FOR THE SCAMER "MAY THE FLEAS OF A THOUSAND CAMMELS INFEST HIS ARMPITS AND MAY HE BE PLAGUED BY A THOUSAND IRATE MOTHER IN LAWS FOREVER"
Old 13th January 2008, 02:29 AM   #20
Bill M

Sorry, but glad that you got your money back.

I wish even worse on scammers.
Old 13th January 2008, 05:03 PM   #21
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Angry Uncontrolled Fraud

And hacked accounts will be the downfall of eBay .
'Trust' has gone out the window .
Rick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2008, 09:32 PM   #22
VANDOO
(deceased)

ONE LAST COMMENT BEFORE LAYING THIS THREAD TO REST.

I SENT SEVERAL EMAILS TO EBAY ASKING FOR HELP AND ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO AFTER I COULD NOT GET A REPLY FROM THE SELLER AND HAD BEEN INFORMED OF POSSIBLE FRAUD ON MY AUCTION. I GOT TWO AUTOMATED REPLYS FROM EBAY.

1. WE HAVE CANCELLED THE AUCTION AND CAN'T GIVE DETAILS TO PROTECT THE SELLERS RIGHTS, CONTACT THE SELLER. THIS WAS CANCELLED AFTER THE AUCTION HAD ENDED AND I HAD ALREADY PAID AND SENT MY FIRST EMAIL ASKING FOR HELP.

2. THE SECOND EMAIL THEY SENT WAS A VERY LONG LIST OF COMPLICATED LEGALESE WHICH APPEARED TO BE FOR SELLERS AND MADE ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE TO ME.

I SENT ANOTHER EMAIL AND ASKED THAT THEY HAVE A PERSON REPLY AND ANSWER MY QUESTIONS AND GIVE ME SOME ADVICE AN WHAT TO DO NEXT AS THE SELLER DID NOT REPLY. EBAY DID NOT REPLY EITHER.

I WENT TO PAYPAL AND FOUND A TELEPHONE NUMBER CALLED THEM , GOT THRU WITHOUT A WAIT TO A REAL PERSON. I GAVE HIM MY INFORMATION AND HE EXPIDITED THE INVESTIGATION , HE WAS FRIENDLY KNOWLEGABLE AND ANSWERED MY QUESTIONS , GAVE ME CHOICES AS TO HOW TO PROCEED AND GOOD INFORMATION AND ADVICE. IN TWO DAYS I HAD MY REFUND. I WAS IMPRESSED WITH PAYPALS CUSTOMER SERVICE WHICH IS VERY RARE IN THESE DAYS OF AUTOMATED MACHINES THAT GIVE YOU THE RUN AROUND FOR HOURS AND OFTEN ARE OF NO HELP AT ALL.

AS TO EBAYS CUSTOMER SERVICE, IT IS ABOUT AS HELPFUL AS A SCREEN DOOR ON A SUBMARINE.
Old 15th January 2008, 07:50 AM   #23
Gavin Nugent

Default Please do make this number available please

Great detective work, finding a phone number within all that smoke and mirrors. As every ebay country is a seperate business and they couldn't give a rats about working in with the other counrty and customer service is a joke, but lets face it, you can't complain about service if there is none, this is a valuable point of reference to all those involved with the virtual world og buying online.
If you don't wish to put the paypal number up here, please PM me with it for reference, I have not been stitched up yet but the world is getting s lot more ruthless in this respect and I would like a point of call if it ever happens to me.

Gav
Old 15th January 2008, 08:03 AM   #24
Gavin Nugent

Default Please do make this number available please

Great detective work, finding a phone number within all that smoke and mirrors. As every ebay country is a seperate business and they couldn't give a rats about working in with the other counrty and customer service is a joke, but lets face it, you can't complain about service if there is none, this is a valuable point of reference to all those involved with the virtual world of buying online.
If you don't wish to put the paypal number up here, please PM me with it for reference, I have not been stitched up yet but the world is getting s lot more ruthless in this respect and I would like a point of call if it ever happens to me.

Gav
Old 15th January 2008, 05:49 PM   #25
VANDOO
(deceased)

IN THE UNFORTUNATE EVENT YOU FIND YOURSELF IN A SIMULAR PROBLEM, THE CONTACT INFO FOR PAYPAL IS 1-888-221-1161 TOLL FREE OR THE NUMBER I USED WILL GET YOU IN CONTACT FASTER BUT IS NOT TOLL FREE 1-402-935-2050 IT WILL ASK FOR YOUR LAST 4 NUMBERS OF YOUR SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER THEN GIVE YOU SOME CHOICES CHOOSE AGENT WHEN YOU GET AN AGENT MAKE SURE HE IS IN THE RESOLUTION CENTER AS THEY ARE THE ONES WHO KNOW HOW TO HELP YOU. THATS ABOUT IT I CALLED THEM AGAIN TO MAKE SURE IT WAS OK TO POST THE NUMBER AND GOT THE TOLL FREE NUMBER IT TOOK ABOUT 3 MINUTES BUT MOST OF THAT WAS JUST ME CHATTING. I HOPE YOU NEVER NEED THIS INFORMATION BUT IF YOU DO IT WILL SURE COME IN HANDY. YOU MIGHT WANT TO READ PAYPALS INFORMATION ON WHAT DETERMINES IF YOU QUALIFY FOR THE PROTECTION OR NOT, IN MOST CASES YOU DO IF YOU PAY WITH PAYPAL AND ARE BUYING ON EBAY BUT I AM NOT SURE WHAT HAPPENS ON NON EBAY PURCHASES.
Old 15th January 2008, 10:41 PM   #26
Gavin Nugent

Default Super!!!

Well how ironic, I needed that number this morning, not for being ripped of any monies but it sure made the questions and requests I asked a lot more smooth without the added stress of tearing hair out trying to do it online, once again, awesome!!!

Gav
Old 19th January 2008, 04:45 PM   #27
philkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
ONE LAST COMMENT BEFORE LAYING THIS THREAD TO REST.

I SENT SEVERAL EMAILS TO EBAY ASKING FOR HELP AND ADVICE ON WHAT TO DO AFTER I COULD NOT GET A REPLY FROM THE SELLER AND HAD BEEN INFORMED OF POSSIBLE FRAUD ON MY AUCTION. I GOT TWO AUTOMATED REPLYS FROM EBAY.

1. WE HAVE CANCELLED THE AUCTION AND CAN'T GIVE DETAILS TO PROTECT THE SELLERS RIGHTS, CONTACT THE SELLER. THIS WAS CANCELLED AFTER THE AUCTION HAD ENDED AND I HAD ALREADY PAID AND SENT MY FIRST EMAIL ASKING FOR HELP.

2. THE SECOND EMAIL THEY SENT WAS A VERY LONG LIST OF COMPLICATED LEGALESE WHICH APPEARED TO BE FOR SELLERS AND MADE ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE TO ME.

I SENT ANOTHER EMAIL AND ASKED THAT THEY HAVE A PERSON REPLY AND ANSWER MY QUESTIONS AND GIVE ME SOME ADVICE AN WHAT TO DO NEXT AS THE SELLER DID NOT REPLY. EBAY DID NOT REPLY EITHER.

I WENT TO PAYPAL AND FOUND A TELEPHONE NUMBER CALLED THEM , GOT THRU WITHOUT A WAIT TO A REAL PERSON. I GAVE HIM MY INFORMATION AND HE EXPIDITED THE INVESTIGATION , HE WAS FRIENDLY KNOWLEGABLE AND ANSWERED MY QUESTIONS , GAVE ME CHOICES AS TO HOW TO PROCEED AND GOOD INFORMATION AND ADVICE. IN TWO DAYS I HAD MY REFUND. I WAS IMPRESSED WITH PAYPALS CUSTOMER SERVICE WHICH IS VERY RARE IN THESE DAYS OF AUTOMATED MACHINES THAT GIVE YOU THE RUN AROUND FOR HOURS AND OFTEN ARE OF NO HELP AT ALL.

AS TO EBAYS CUSTOMER SERVICE, IT IS ABOUT AS HELPFUL AS A SCREEN DOOR ON A SUBMARINE.
I had a similar situation but in my case, I was the seller. Someone bidded an item of mine (sword of course) up to almost $485 I think and won. Bidder has a 100% feedback rating and had made 20 purchases. In a couple of hours, ebay sent me an email similar to yours saying that the winning bidder's account was accessed by someone and he was not the one who made the bids.

The auction was cancelled by eBay without even investigating what happened or at least looking at the i.p. address of the winning bidder if the bid was made at his computer or someone hacked into his account. I was very upset because I needed the money this week already and don't have time to have it on auction again.

Is it really happening that someone is hacking to someones account on ebay?

It could also be possible that I was a victim of thrill/frenzy bid then not paying for something he/she won and telling ebay that some hacked to the account as a loophole to not pay the winning bid?

Sorry for the rambling
philkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2008, 09:10 PM   #28
Battara
EAAF Staff

No this just goes to show that eBay is turning into a monster and "caveat emptor" is no longer advice but the law now (if not a late cliche).

Yet I still fish on it, though rare is the prize I have found in the past 5 years. Nothing like being an idiot.....

It does give honest dealers and buyers a bad name.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2008, 05:26 PM   #29
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battara
No this just goes to show that eBay is turning into a monster and "caveat emptor" is no longer advice but the law now (if not a late cliche).

Yet I still fish on it, though rare is the prize I have found in the past 5 years. Nothing like being an idiot.....

It does give honest dealers and buyers a bad name.
Agreed , the place is a giant Roach Motel these days .
Rick is online now   Reply With Quote