Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th January 2017, 04:11 PM   #1
Kmaddock

Default Component parts of scissors katar

Hi all
Scissors katar project finished
The first picture shows all the new parts I had to make and the follow on's are the assembley stages in more or less the correct order
I taught people might find a series of exploded diagrams showing all the parts of the mechanism interesting and useful for reference
An interesting build and i am happy with how all worked out
Hopefully pictures are in order showing missing parts made and then gradually assembled together
A lot of work but enjoyable
Regards
Ken
Attached Images

Last edited by Kmaddock; 8th January 2017 at 05:27 PM.
Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 04:47 PM   #2
Jens Nordlunde

Ken,
Thank you for showing this. I also have such a katar, but I have never taken it apart.
I am quite sure these katars would have appealed to the tourists at the time when they were made.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 06:20 PM   #3
Sajen

Hello Ken,

why you start a new thread? It is this one: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=22232, correct?
Impressive work you have done, wow! I salute you. I don't know enough about katars to say if it's an early tourist piece or made for real use, niece restauration!

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 06:52 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

GLAD TO SEE YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED THE PROJECT. THE MECHANISM IS SIMPLE BUT EFFICIENT AND ITS SECRETS ARE NOW REVEALED. WERE THE SPRINGS THE MOST DIFFICULT PARTS TO MAKE.
THERE IS A FASCINATION WITH THIS FORM OF KATAR AS WE ARE NOT SURE IF IT WAS A REAL WEAPON AND IF POISON WAS USED ON THE INSIDE BLADE AND IF THE PURPOSE OF THE OPENING BLADE WAS TO SPREAD AND OPEN THE WOUNDS. EXAMPLES LIKE YOU SHOW ARE THE ONES MOST OFTEN SEEN BUT THERE ARE SOME EXAMPLES THAT ARE OLDER AND OF MUCH BETTER WORKMANSHIP AND QUALITY. I SUPPOSE IT WOULD BE INTIMIDATING TO PULL SUCH A DAGGER OUT AND SNAPP THE BLADE OPEN AND CLOSED A FEW TIMES AND SAY IT HUNGERS FOR YOUR BLOOD AND ITS VENOM AWAITS YOU.
YOU ARE WAY AHEAD WITH THIS POST THERE WERE OVER 180 VIEWS AND ONLY ONE REPLY ON YOUR PREVIOUS POST.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 06:53 PM   #5
mariusgmioc

Thumbs up

WOW, WOW, WOW!!!

Excellent work!

PS: In my original posting I put only one "wow" then I felt it doesn't reflect my admiration and added two more. And even so, is only a pale aproximation of my sincere admiration for your work.
mariusgmioc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 08:43 PM   #6
Kmaddock

Thank you all for compliments
I am delighted to give something back to the forum in the form of knowledge
I take so much from the forum on a weekly basis that to return information is a real privilege for me.
I did not reply to my original thread as my project did not seem to strike up much interest or debate and I felt it right to start again. Sorry about this if it goes against rules.
Vandoo you asked about the springs, they were actully the easiest part to make

I cut a hacksaw blade into approx 60 MM lengths
Pre heated a beaker of sand to around 300 celcius
Then heated the blades to red hot and immersed them into the sand and allowed the whole lot to cool down slowly,
This de anealed the blades and made the steel mailable and I ground and bent them into shape of the springs
Them I drilled and ground the slit in the spring to allow the "tang" to go through
Once I was happy with the shape I then heated red hot and quenched in cold water, this then hardened the spring steel but it would be too brittle at this time to use as a spring so I polished the steel, important to do this as you need to see the colour of the metal for the next stage.
Once polished I heated up to blue hot, i.e. The steel was a blue colour and then quenched in engine oil,
Then I had tempered springs,
I made two as I wanted a nice snappy sissors.

There is a lot of debate as to what these weapons were used for, show pieces or parrying weapons. The shell that capture the inside blade are very pointy and if trust forward in the open position I am sure it would do some damage.

Best regards and if anyone wants to pass on a katar in similar condition I will gladly take it off your hands

Ken
Kmaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2017, 09:36 PM   #7
Jens Nordlunde

Ken,
These katars are said to come from Punjab in the 19th century.
I dont think they were fighting weapons, as the size of the outher blades would make it very difficult to stick into almost anything.
You have done a very good job - congratulations.
Jens Nordlunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2017, 09:47 AM   #8
ariel

I second Jens: the job is excellent, but I am still questioning the object.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote