Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 26th February 2010, 11:49 AM   #1
Gavin Nugent

Default For those who love African swords

Fellow collectors,

For those who like African weapons, I would like to share this old warrior for show and comment.

A very nice 19th century Cheiftans/Status sword from the Mandinka community.

Very few African weapons really appeal to my personal tastes but these do, along with African Saifs. It will be displayed seperately from my other collections as I feel it is a stand alone piece with its bold designs and lovely colours. A few leather losses but over all very well preserved.

Gav
Attached Images

Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 12:21 PM   #2
Lew
(deceased)

Gav

A very nice example but what makes this a chieftains status sword?

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 12:40 PM   #3
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Gav

A very nice example but what makes this a chieftains status sword?

Lew
Thanks Lew and a great question. Perhaps I should refrain from Chieftan and use Wealthy or person of High Standing, either could be a Chieftan though ;-)

One reference I was cited by a fellow collector here was "Christian Feest; The art of war", stating "These swords were the exclusive prerogative of Mandinka men of importance or social standing"

I look forward to further comments and insight from those more learned on the subject of African swords.

Gav
Old 26th February 2010, 01:58 PM   #4
Lew
(deceased)

Gav

This is one that I have is a bit plainer than yours but with an old European blade.
Attached Images

Old 26th February 2010, 11:27 PM   #5
Gavin Nugent

Default Nice

Another nice example Lew.

I like the broad blade too Lew, it remains in very good order. The blade on the piece I presented, if wasn't curved has the feel of a rapier, light, supple and lightning fast in the hand.

There is a lot to be learned about these swords, not yet covered in these pages and I look forward to learning more too. One question that comes to mind is the pommel...a pyramid where most are globes or do not exist?

I believe from conversations had with another in the European forum, the blade would be from from France, 1820-1860s. Wether it was a trade blade from this time and mounted then (I doubt), or wether once it had seen active military service was decommisioned and then made a trade blade agter the 1860s (sits better with me) I do not know.

I do know it is old and when I lifted it off the table after the photograph it certainly left the dust of Africa behind. Any ideas about yours Lew?

Gav
Old 27th February 2010, 12:25 AM   #6
Lew
(deceased)

Gav

Mine looks like it came from a 1796 Light Cavalry Saber? Here is another one I traded some time ago with a slimmer blade like yours.
Attached Images

Old 27th February 2010, 01:50 AM   #7
Gavin Nugent

Default Another nice example

Great Lew, another nice example.

One question that has come to mind whilst I have been image comparing is the hemispheres attached to these. Lew, I note on the example you presented to start there are many hemispeheres and they are found at the end of the suspension loop near the scabbard....I have witnessed this else where on other more plain examples but when you look at mine and the piece you traded they are found only as a pair and on their own loop and toggle together. Does anyone know what is signifies?

Gav
Old 27th February 2010, 03:21 AM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

These are all outstanding examples of these swords attributed to the Mandinka (also Mandingo, Malinke) tribal groups of the Sahara, with Mali in particular.
Gav, this is one of the most beautifully accoutred examples I have seen, and it is my impression that this, along with many of these, are mounted with M1822 French cavalry sabre blades. These regions were of course long occupied by the French and by the end of the 19th century French protectorates.

In Mali, most significant is Timbuktu ( tin= well, buqtu=far away) which was for centuries actually a Saharan cultural center as well as a key hub for transSaharan trade routes. The merchants of this and other key trade locations of these trade networks were known as 'Dyoula' (Mande=merchant) and were undoubtedly of the upper social stature that might wear such embellished sabres as a mark of thier standing.

The profound presence of the French of course must have provided large numbers of surplus French cavalry blades in these centers, as well as the numbers of trade blades that prevailed via these trade routes. It has always been my personal opinion that these cylindrically themed guardless sabres probably derived from the Omani kattaras which had entered the Saharan trade sphere from the Zanzibar sultanate either via Red Sea or direct routes.
The dramatically embellished and festooned mounts no doubt emphasize the standing of the merchant or perhaps tribal figure, so although not specifically the weapon of a 'chieftain' , certainly that of a powerful individual.

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 05:37 PM   #9
Tim Simmons

As somebody keen on African stuff. These are Africanized rather than African though I do have one with a native blade.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2010, 07:05 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

I guess Africanized would be the P.C. description, because all the components are usually not entirely native with the blades typically foreign.
I had never really thought of that since trade blades have been a common denominator in virtually all colonized countries and cultures. I suppose that philosophically the African classification might be recouped if the weapon was produced in Africa by native craftsmen even with foreign components.

In any case, I have honestly never seen one of these with a native made blade, and it would be great to see what the native blade would be like. While the Tuaregs of course are also of these regions, the takouba is characteristically with straight broadsword blade. The exception, which has been presented through field study by Lee Jones, are the curved blade examples which are termed 'aljuinar'. These seem to have utilized trade blades of somewhat similar origin as the curved blades on the Mandinka sabres, and I have seen German, even British, examples in addition to the French.

I forgot to include previously that I once showed illustrations of one of these Mandinka sabres to a man who was of Fulani descent and from Guinea. He identified this sabre as termed a 'kota' if I recall correctly, claiming that the scabbard was termed 'holga' (= house 'for the sword'). While these distinctly formed sabres do not seem to ever be called by a specific term, only referred to as a 'Mandinka' et al , sword, I have often wondered what they were called locally.
I realize I have brought this up quite a number of times over the years, much as I have noted the possible influence from the very trade oriented Omani kattara, with no further note or response. I just thought I would include it here again, as always hoping for other observations.
Perhaps our linguists might know of local terms for these swords, or if they might confirm the term noted.

Obviously there is not a great deal of information known on these swords and it would be great to see this develop as a resource reflecting the clearly established knowledge out there.

All the best,
Jim
Old 27th February 2010, 08:07 PM   #11
Tim Simmons

Not as long or heavy as European bladed versions. Thin flexible and razor sharp.
Attached Images

Old 27th February 2010, 10:38 PM   #12
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Interesting to see the native blade, which is indeed much shorter.

As Gav has noted, there seems to be a great deal of symbolic potential in the structural elements of the pommel, and the pyramidal shape is apparantly quite atypical. Most of the examples seem to have spherical knob type pommels with structural graduation supporting them.
Another point of observation, has anyone considered the obvious flared scabbard tip which is consistant on these, and compares to the scabbards of the Sudanese kaskara...........it is interesting the note that the Tuareg takouba which is of course thoroughly present across continguous Sahara regions does not adopt that characteristic.

Best regards,
Jim
Old 27th February 2010, 11:21 PM   #13
Martin Lubojacky

Gav, your Malinke sword is very nice and I think the flared end of the scabbard is longer (and nicer) than average. I am lucky owner of two such swords - one of them is furnished with relatively long, but tender locally made blade. Unfortunately, I could post the photo earliest in July.
Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2010, 12:14 AM   #14
Gavin Nugent

Default Africanized...

Lew, Jim, Tim and Martin, thanks all for contributing to the thread. Although there may be a lot of going over old ground, I think with the knowledge base there could be some "new" developments in relation to these swords and their symbolism and workmanship in historical context or at least finer detail on the subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Simmons
As somebody keen on African stuff. These are Africanized rather than African though I do have one with a native blade.
Thank you for sharing that blade Tim. Whilst I undersand your comment in a pure context, I can't say I agree with it in full. My thoughts would be if an African community in the day, traded for a blade where ever it was from in the world and wanted to dress it in their traditional manner and from the average man to the wealthiest man to use it in this manner, I would call it African, they have adopted it, the element of the blade does not remain seperate
So many weapons from so many periods across so many counrties have always adopted trade blades and called the sword their own, to list examples would fill this page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
In any case, I have honestly never seen one of these with a native made blade, and it would be great to see what the native blade would be like.

I forgot to include previously that I once showed illustrations of one of these Mandinka sabres to a man who was of Fulani descent and from Guinea. He identified this sabre as termed a 'kota' if I recall correctly, claiming that the scabbard was termed 'holga' (= house 'for the sword'). While these distinctly formed sabres do not seem to ever be called by a specific term, only referred to as a 'Mandinka' et al , sword, I have often wondered what they were called locally.
I realize I have brought this up quite a number of times over the years, much as I have noted the possible influence from the very trade oriented Omani kattara, with no further note or response. I just thought I would include it here again, as always hoping for other observations.

All the best,
Jim
I too had never seen a local blade in dress until now thank you Tim.
Jim, outstanding point of reference with native tounges thank you!! I too have always seen aspects of Oman, particuarly in the hilt manufacturing methods.

Quote:
Not as long or heavy as European bladed versions. Thin flexible and razor sharp.
Reading your description being thin flexible and razor sharp, the same can be said for the narrow French blades, they are like a rapier, although curved, are thin flexible and razor sharp.
The example you provided is interesting and thank you for putting forth a local blade. The dress it is found in however, to my eyes lacks patina and old world craftsmanship, it is a newer sword made in the style of old or from a different region? I'll get these blade measurements down for the next post to see how they compare to a local blade...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lubojacky
Gav, your Malinke sword is very nice and I think the flared end of the scabbard is longer (and nicer) than average. I am lucky owner of two such swords - one of them is furnished with relatively long, but tender locally made blade. Unfortunately, I could post the photo earliest in July.
Martin
Thank you Martin, I look forward to viewing yours when you can and hearing your input.

I too have a whole list of items for discussion and will get back here as soon as I can....I love a good discussion

Gav
Old 9th March 2010, 03:28 AM   #15
Gavin Nugent

Default Looking

Guys,

I have been looking a lot deeper in to these swords and as yet I can not find any native blades of genuine antiquity. All pre 1900 examples thus far seem to be European trade blades.
Can anyone point me to any in museums or personal collections that may house native made blades within this type of dress?

Thanks

Gav

Last edited by freebooter; 9th March 2010 at 03:41 AM.
Old 9th March 2010, 04:29 AM   #16
Lew
(deceased)

Gav

I don't think you will find early examples with native made blades here is why.
Prior to 1900 these swords were probably used as real weapons and the European blades were the best a warrior could buy. Thin poorly made sheet metal blades were basically for show.

Lew
Old 29th March 2010, 02:24 AM   #17
Gavin Nugent

Default Thanks Lew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUIEBLADES
Gav

I don't think you will find early examples with native made blades here is why.
Prior to 1900 these swords were probably used as real weapons and the European blades were the best a warrior could buy. Thin poorly made sheet metal blades were basically for show.

Lew
G'day Lew.

My understanding is that these swords with European blades, whilst most likely used for real fighting and up for the job, were actually used as a status symbol and as dress swords to show high status and wealth, I guess untimately this is "show" sword...

That being said, this to me wouldn't place a native blade in the "show" category.

Did native blades of antiquity exist in these regions?

Thoughts?

Gav
Old 29th March 2010, 03:45 PM   #18
Lew
(deceased)

Gav

North Africa and West Africa have been influenced by the Arabs and then the Europeans going back over 500 yrs so I really can't say if ther were any actual native sword blades? I just think the native blades were copies of European blades? You do have the shotel which is a native design but the saber types were of European origins.

Btw
What I meant by native blades for show is the hilt and scabbard were made for visual appeal (status) but the thin blade had no real combat use.
Old 29th March 2010, 07:20 PM   #19
Tim Simmons

In support of the native thin blade. The Dha benefits from just a touch more weight but only a touch. But much more sophisticated fullering adding a little stiffness, there is very little discernible difference in temper. The Dha is also balanced for a faster close quarter combat but essentially the blades are very similar. Like not judging a book by its cover.
Attached Images

Old 31st March 2010, 01:41 PM   #20
Lew
(deceased)

Tim

Thickness of the steel is not everything one must take into account the type of steel being used and the heat treatment used on the steel. I'm sure the African piece shown is functional but I can see some warping from the top view the finish of the blade is pretty rough and I am wondering if it has a springy blade? If I was going into a combat situation I would still want my sword to have a 19th century European saber blade rather than a reground machete blade or one made from some mystery steel.
Old 25th April 2010, 07:23 PM   #21
Tim Simmons

I have just ordered a copy of-

Warfare in the Sokoto Caliphate: Historical and Sociological Perspectives. Cambridge university.

-from an inspiring extract I was able to glean that in the 19th century the adoption of cavalry was a revolutionary tactic. From that one might assume that the short form is the more original version? Like the picture of the Dha an infantry weapon. Until I have the book I will suggest that the French blade may well be a late adoption.

The extract at the bottom of this link might also throw some light on the short version.
http://www.jstor.org/pss/182766
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 25th April 2010 at 07:52 PM.
Old 25th April 2010, 10:33 PM   #22
asomotif

This type of sword is quite commonly found world wide, and I never wondered where it exactly comes from.

But the names in this thread seem confusing.
Mandinka = west Africa, Gambia / Senegal, Guinnee Bissau.

But than there is a book about the Sokoto Caliphate, which is north Nigeria.
I guess at leats 500 miles eastwards.

What is the correct tribe of these swords ?

Best regards,
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 11:28 PM   #23
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
I have just ordered a copy of-

Warfare in the Sokoto Caliphate: Historical and Sociological Perspectives. Cambridge university.

-from an inspiring extract I was able to glean that in the 19th century the adoption of cavalry was a revolutionary tactic. From that one might assume that the short form is the more original version? Like the picture of the Dha an infantry weapon. Until I have the book I will suggest that the French blade may well be a late adoption.

The extract at the bottom of this link might also throw some light on the short version.
http://www.jstor.org/pss/182766
Tim, do inform us of what you find in there when received.
A number of points do require clarity.

I wish to note as points only that both support and confuse the notions;
Cavalry were used by countries/tribes neighbouring the Sokoto Caliphate in the early 1800s.
European countries had coastal contact with these neighbouring countries for centuries.
I have not yet noted in my limited reading anything refering to iron manufacturing from ore so blades were most likely traded all through the 19th century.
France didn't really have any major control until the late 1800s.

Below is a blurb and the contents of the book.

The successful jihad of 1804 in Hausaland - perhaps the most important Islamic revolution in West African history, with consequences still apparent in Nigeria today - resulted in the establishment of the Sokoto Caliphate, the largest and most enduring West African polity in the nineteenth century. The book is a full length study of traditional Sudanic military history, and an authoritative analysis of warfare in its most prominent Islamic state. After a brief survey of the evolution of Sudanic warfare and military organisation before 1800, Dr Smaldone examines the historical development and sociological implications of the two important revolutions in military technology which occurred in the nineteenth century: the adoption of cavalry during the jihad period and the introduction of firearms in the latter half of the century. He argues that these two revolutions were causal factors in producing two structural transformations in the emirates of the Caliphate, first from relatively egalitarian combatant communities to feudal systems, and then to centralised bureaucratic state organisations.

Contents
Part I. Historical Perspectives: 1. Introduction: Sudanic Warfare and Military Organisation to c. 1800; 2. The Jihad Period, c. 1790–1817; 3. Military Organisation in the Sokoto Caliphate, c. 1817–1860; 4. Organisation for Defence and Security; 5. The Theory and Practice of War; 6. The Firearms Trade in the Central Sudan: The Expansion of the 'Gun-frontier'; 7. Firearms in the Sokoto Caliphate, c. 1860–1903; Part II. Sociological Perspectives: 8. The Evolution of Politico-Military Organisation in the Sokoto Caliphate, c. 1790–1903; 9. The Functions of War in the Sokoto Caliphate; 10. Warfare in the Sokoto Caliphate: Summary and Conclusions.
Old 26th April 2010, 06:46 PM   #24
Tim Simmons

The book is on its way. There is a section on imported weapons mainly guns but there might also be info on swords.

I think it is safe to assume that swords and knives of the same general appearance and manufacture as the weapons in question. Are a pan Sahel form. There may well be many subtle styles and variations that are peculiar to specific areas that we are not able to discern with any certainty. They are often called Sudan but that must be the in old sense of the term. They are not from the South Sudan. The picture I post are from-
Colour picture - "Manfed A Zirngibl & Alexander Kubetz, Panga Na Visu 2009" new book excellent.

Black & white "peoples of the world 1918"

Map internet
Attached Images