Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 8th June 2022, 02:26 PM   #1
Anthony G.

Default bull motif on a Balinese keris

Dear all, do you have happen to see a Balinese keris with cow/bull motif? I am interested to know how it really looks like.
Anthony G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2022, 02:48 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony G. View Post
Dear all, do you have happen to see a Balinese keris with cow/bull motif? I am interested to know how it really looks like.
Nobody seems to have seen such a motif Anthony. At least there have been no answers to your query yet.
What brings up the question to begin with?
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2022, 02:51 PM   #3
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Nobody seems to have seen such a motif Anthony. At least there have been no answers to your query yet.
What brings up the question to begin with?
I never saw just a bull icon/motif on a Balinese keris and usually it comes with a singa and bull. I am thinking of having someone forges a Balinese modern keris with just a bull motif on it but trying to understand what is the symbol of just a bull as a motif.
Old 18th June 2022, 01:04 AM   #4
A. G. Maisey

Anthony, in mainline Hindu belief the bull is the vehicle (vahana) of Shiva (Siwa), the name of that bull is Nandi.

The keris itself is symbolic of Siwa, as is the sogokan of the keris, which is actually a representation of the lingam standing in the blumbangan, a representation of the yoni.

However, I cannot recall ever having seen bull symbolism in a Balinese keris.

But it would fit with Hindu belief.

Nandi is the guardian of Mount Kailash = Mount Meru = Meru, the Meru in Bali is the shrine with its multi tiered roof, the keris has the nature of a shrine. Of course, when we start talking Mount Meru & etc, we are in fact talking in terms of the Gunungan, the universal symbol that permeates just about everything, in one way or another. The keris is a Gunungan representation.

Mount Kailash is the home of the Gods, including Siwa, and it is also the home of the ancestors who are waiting to become one with each of their personal Gods.

Nandi is the guardian.

Most candis, temples, shrines dedicated to Siwa have a statue of Nandi guarding that place. To my mind a bull guardian incorporated into the keris as the guardian of a shrine representing Siwa and the Gunungan, would be quite suitable.

When we begin to understand the true nature of the keris it can become very clear to us why the vast bulk of truly knowledgeable people involved with the keris become somewhat derisive when the folk beliefs that have arisen around the keris are presented as genuine knowledge.

Yes, the keris can be a magical entity, but that magic is nothing at all like what most people interested in the esoteric nature of the keris believe it to be.

Last edited by A. G. Maisey; 18th June 2022 at 01:17 AM.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2022, 09:32 AM   #5
Anthony G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey View Post
Anthony, in mainline Hindu belief the bull is the vehicle (vahana) of Shiva (Siwa), the name of that bull is Nandi.

The keris itself is symbolic of Siwa, as is the sogokan of the keris, which is actually a representation of the lingam standing in the blumbangan, a representation of the yoni.

However, I cannot recall ever having seen bull symbolism in a Balinese keris.

But it would fit with Hindu belief.

Nandi is the guardian of Mount Kailash = Mount Meru = Meru, the Meru in Bali is the shrine with its multi tiered roof, the keris has the nature of a shrine. Of course, when we start talking Mount Meru & etc, we are in fact talking in terms of the Gunungan, the universal symbol that permeates just about everything, in one way or another. The keris is a Gunungan representation.

Mount Kailash is the home of the Gods, including Siwa, and it is also the home of the ancestors who are waiting to become one with each of their personal Gods.

Nandi is the guardian.

Most candis, temples, shrines dedicated to Siwa have a statue of Nandi guarding that place. To my mind a bull guardian incorporated into the keris as the guardian of a shrine representing Siwa and the Gunungan, would be quite suitable.

When we begin to understand the true nature of the keris it can become very clear to us why the vast bulk of truly knowledgeable people involved with the keris become somewhat derisive when the folk beliefs that have arisen around the keris are presented as genuine knowledge.

Yes, the keris can be a magical entity, but that magic is nothing at all like what most people interested in the esoteric nature of the keris believe it to be.
Thanks for sharing
Old 27th June 2022, 05:14 PM   #6
Interested Party

siva
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony G. View Post
I never saw just a bull icon/motif on a Balinese keris and usually it comes with a singa and bull. I am thinking of having someone forges a Balinese modern keris with just a bull motif on it but trying to understand what is the symbol of just a bull as a motif.
Could this be related to the Persian lion and deer/bull hunting scenes that were used from the Caucasus to northern India? Or the kerbau rather than a bull? An animist symbol of the underworld, often paired with it's opposite a bird, a sky/upperworld symbol?

For clarification, I am not proposing alternate views to blade/Siwa riding the bull/wrangka, which could also be seen as a yani, but suggesting possible layers of meaning.

Last edited by Interested Party; 28th June 2022 at 04:47 PM. Reason: clarification
Interested Party is offline   Reply With Quote