Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 24th April 2010, 05:25 PM   #1
ariel

Default Interesting Mandau

Not my field of interest, but I just could not resist.
The handle is made of a solid piece of antler (?), and the decorations are sparse. It is intact, with the exception of a thin longitudinal crack, ~ 1" long. No losses. Very well patinated overall, deep chocolate color in places.
The blade is very thick, concave on one side, multifaceted on another, transforming into a convex at the terminal 2/3 of the length. There are some folding lines running along the blade and I gave it a very quick polish and etch: seems to be laminated.
The ferrule is interesting: I do not remember ever seeing a metal one, just pitch. This one is a very low grade gold ( I went to a jeweller, and he did several conductivity tests, did not want to use acid), ie Swaasa.
No scabbard.
Any opinions, advices, ideas etc are more than welcome. Feel free to use PMs.
Attached Images

ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 09:43 PM   #2
asomotif

Last edited by asomotif; 25th April 2010 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Yep, I give some info and get a reply "as I said... :-(
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 10:57 PM   #3
ariel

As I said right in the beginning, no scabbard.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 02:48 PM   #4
Mytribalworld

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Not my field of interest, but I just could not resist.
The handle is made of a solid piece of antler (?), and the decorations are sparse. It is intact, with the exception of a thin longitudinal crack, ~ 1" long. No losses. Very well patinated overall, deep chocolate color in places.
The blade is very thick, concave on one side, multifaceted on another, transforming into a convex at the terminal 2/3 of the length. There are some folding lines running along the blade and I gave it a very quick polish and etch: seems to be laminated.
The ferrule is interesting: I do not remember ever seeing a metal one, just pitch. This one is a very low grade gold ( I went to a jeweller, and he did several conductivity tests, did not want to use acid), ie Swaasa.
No scabbard.
Any opinions, advices, ideas etc are more than welcome. Feel free to use PMs.
The hilt seems to me like carved somewhere in the Kayan area around the Mendalam river. Or at least that influence maybe somewhat more to the south. Not uncommon that the antler is massive I have also an antler hilt that's massive. The ferule is indeed unusual however there are more mandaus with unusual ferules of metal. its quite rough and it looks more just brass to me.
Be carefull with ething mandaublades, some mandaucollectors don't like that.

Arjan
Mytribalworld is offline   Reply With Quote