Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 4th October 2008, 07:35 PM   #1
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Default Takouba for coments ... and a question

This seems to be old ... i wonder if 19th century.
Blade is 82 cms long, 4,5 cms wide and 3,5 m/m thick. Three fullered, double edged, sharpened to within 15 cms from the hilt. The usual two half moons in each side.
Scabbard visibly original; pitty the end 'complex' is missing. One suspension ring and the leather baldric are home made.

Gentlemen, your coments will be so much welcome, namely on its possible age and provenance region.
Another question i have goes for the grip size. We can see often discussed the size of Indian hilts, namely talwars. It happens that the hilt of this takouba is so small that my small hand struggles to fit in its grip, having to acomodate tightly to its pommel 'shelled' curve; is this the intended idea, or were Tuaregs also a people with small hands? I doubt it though, as it seems other examples appear to have larger grips, as may be seen, for example, in this Forum Resource Site article. I also doubt it is a boy's sword, judging by its regular blade length; this meaning i ignore if Tuareg youngsters would qualify to carry a sword, like in other cultures.

Thanks in advance for your kind input.
Fernando

Attached Images

fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 04:00 AM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Fernando,
The 'takouba' is the fascinating broadsword of the fabled Tuareg warriors, Ihaggaren, of the Sahara, and the history of these swords is as mysterious as these warriors themselves.

Yours is a sound example, and clearly in 20th century mounts, while the native blade may be latter 19th century. The treble fullers central to the blade recall European blades that have come into these regions over the centuries, as do the degenerated, stamped crescent moons. These are apparantly common in the Eastern Sudan with Hausa type swords and termed locally 'dukari' (Briggs, p.58).* These 'dukari' twin half moons have become virtually standard on takouba blades across the Sahara, and obviously the style has transmitted via nomadic movement, tribal interaction and trade.The moons themselves are copied from these markings on a number of European blades traded to these regions.

According to information found in Dr.Lloyd Cabot Briggs "European Blades In Tuareg Blades and Daggers" (Journal of the Arms & Armour Society, Vol.V, #2,1965 ) it would seem that stylistically your example is likely of 'Central' form which would comprise roughly Ajjar,Ahaggar and often the Air region.
I know that this is not precise, but these are nomadic tribes, and it would be virtually impossible to gain specific provenance unless obtained and documented from a tribesman on location.

While tribal warriors still wear thier takoubas as a matter of traditional costume, they are of course armed with modern weapons (as can be well described by Lee Jones.

One thing I would like to bring up as a case in point. Over many years, I have tried to find the source for the term takouba, which of course included in the Tuareg vocabulary. It seems that the Portuguese were likely the earliest purveyors of European blades to the Tuareg tribes of the Sahara, and the influence for the broadswords may derive from the Almoravides of Spain as early as the 11th c. These early connections of course are broadly applied, but the Iberian note is key in my opinion.

In Mexico City in 16th century New Spain, the Moorish custom of grouping craftsmen of similar work in the same area, and for the metalworkers, including those who fashioned weapons and blades, there was a thouroughfare known as the CALLE DE TACUBA. In time, metalwork from there became known as 'de tacuba'.
While this is clearly an entirely separate region, I would like to know if there is any possibility that the application of this Spanish name or term might have been grafted into Tuareg parlance with traders supplying blades into Morocco.
Just a thought

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 07:28 PM   #3
Martin Lubojacky

Hello Jim,

Thank you for very interesting report. I hope I am not mistaken if I say Spanish language was influenced by Arab and/or Berber language during their presence there in 11th century (e.g. al-hambra, al-chimia, etc). So why it could not be possible the same term to occur both in Mexico and on Sahara ? If there is any linguist among forumites, it would really be interesting to learn something about origin (or better linguistic roots) of the word "takouba".

I would be very interested in article by Dr. Lloyd Cabot Briggs on Tuareg Blades and Weapons - some time ago I tried to find it on internet, but without any success. Once I saw very old "takouba" in Ghadames - the blade without crescent (or any) stamps, but with engravings (not etching) which depictived floral motives on hatched backround, all bounded by engraved, cca 15 cm long frame, placed on the blade just below the grip. The blade made of very good springy steel.

Regards,

Martin
Martin Lubojacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2008, 08:00 PM   #4
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Martin,
Thank you for responding to my post, very much appreciated!
I was thinking pretty much the same thing so I'm glad you agree on the possibility of the assimilation of the term. As a point of illustration, the Mexican language has many terms and words from other languages such as French, Native American and others into slang added to Spanish. American is of course a vast amalgam of loan words added to English with many others as well.

All the best,
Jim
Old 5th October 2008, 11:28 PM   #5
fernando

Hi Jim,
Sorry for taking so long in thanking your posting with the treatise in takoubas. It happens that i got envolved with your question on the takouba term origin, ande decided to do some browsing on the subject. Amazing how i have found out you have been trying to solve this riddle since the last eight years.
Well, there is no term equal or similar, or even sounding close to takouba in both Portuguese and Spanish modern dictionaries.
On the other hand, we can see through various historians quotations that the term 'tacuba' in Mexico already existed by the time Cortez got there. In fact Tacuba was a local kingdom, on the western mountains of the valley of Mexico, whose monarch had made a triple alliance with two other nobles,Tetzcoco and Tenochtitlan, to massacre the Spaniards. I don't either think that it was the Spaniards that brought the term from Mexico and later drop it in the Sahara; this assuming that the term is not an original Tuareg word. Meanwhile i have spotted a book that sounds as it could clarify the situation, for those deeply commited in going to the ultimate step with this riddle, as it contains an essay on these swords, namely on their 'nomenclature' ... for what this means.

http://siris-libraries.si.edu/ipac20/ipac.jsp?uri=full=3100001~!761584!0#focus

Back to my takouba example, i see that you didn't coment on the short length of the handle; was it because nothing occurs to you on the subject ? Also in the mean time i have read that Tuareg youngsters could gain a takouba by the time of their puberty.
Concerning the age of both blade and sheath, XIX century for the blade suits me fine; however XX century for the sheath leaves me a bit sad, as i am 'alergic' to modern stuff. In fact i have read in Lee Jones article that hardly takouba sheaths may be found with a long age, due to their quick degradation. Even so, i hope my example is quite old within possible, that is, from the early times of the XX century. I am based in the fact that its leather material has shrunk so much that, even inserting the blade with some mussle, a good 3,3 cms. (almost 1 3/8") remain unsheathable. Also worthy of note is the (one surviving) elaborated suspension ring, made in decorated brass, with an interesting patina, instead of those in aluminum, a detail quoted in Dr. Lee Jones's article to indicate a mid XX century solution.
Kind regards
Fernando
Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 5th October 2008 at 11:38 PM.
Old 6th October 2008, 12:58 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Always my pleasure Fernando! especially when you respond in kind, and I thank you for the detail on the word Takuba, and its use in the New World. The information you have provided is far more clearly, than I have been afforded in these past years. I have seen the reference you note listed, and even think it might be in my very inaccessible files, and though it is of course in French, might be somewhat readable. I do know that the word Takouba is in Tuareg glossaries, but without etymology details.

My lack of comment on the handle was an oversight, and it does seem that many of these do have unusually small handles. It does seem that native individuals did have smaller hands in many tribal regions, though that argument for small handles has met with great debate in the tulwar case. In looking at clothing, shoes and all manner of apparal of earlier times, it does seem people were smaller (heaven knows I could never get into my high school clothes!). I just read an article on the pgymies, and much notation on nutrition, lack of certain vitamins, diet etc. which accounts for thier size.

I think the smaller size hilt may suggest earlier 20th century, as well as the brass ring etc., you do present a good case, but I wouldnt go earlier than about the 30's. It really is hard to say, as it doesnt take long for leather to draw tight, even without being in the elements in the desert.

All the best,
Jim
Old 6th October 2008, 07:58 PM   #7
fernando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
... I think the smaller size hilt may suggest earlier 20th century, as well as the brass ring etc., you do present a good case, but I wouldnt go earlier than about the 30's. It really is hard to say, as it doesnt take long for leather to draw tight, even without being in the elements in the desert ...
Well, you can't win them all .
Thanks a lot for your impressions, Jim.
Fernando
Old 6th October 2008, 08:28 PM   #8
katana

Hi Fernando ,
Takouba and Kaskara tend to be re-hilted / re-sheathed fairly regularly. My understanding is that, locally, there is no interest or prestige in 'old' hilts, if its worn out ...they are replaced. However sometimes older brass/copper crossguards and pommels are re-used, if undamaged.

On that basis it is the blade that is the determining factor. The fullers can be an indicator of age....more recent ones are almost all ground...not forged. Many more recent Takouba tend to be very thin and springy.....as vehicle 'leaf springs' are often used and re-cycled. Crossguards and the handles are often made from sheet metal, again often re-cycled from scrap. I have seen one where the leather covering had come away revealing an old 'Shell Oil' logo (possibly 1950's).
It seems that older blades tend to be 'thicker'.......why more recent ones are quite thin ..I do not know....unless it is that they are now only regarded as a 'dress item'.

As a footnote, I have also noticed many blades are heavily scratched....I wonder whether sand is used as an abrasive cleaner

Kind Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 10:30 PM   #9
Lee
EAAF Staff

Fernando, that is a nice takouba you have there. The details on the pommel are a bit different than I have seen before. I believe that this one does have some age to it, though I am not yet skilled enough to discern late 19th from early 20th century against regional variations. The blade looks to be a European import from the moon marks, if it is very springy this would corroborate the impression of European origin. A nice example that I'd not hesitate to add to my own collection...

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Takouba and Kaskara tend to be re-hilted / re-sheathed fairly regularly. My understanding is that, locally, there is no interest or prestige in 'old' hilts, if its worn out ...they are replaced.
The takouba at the top of the page is my 'newest' takouba and at the same instant also my 'oldest' takouba. The mountings are from within the last decade, the European blade is very possibly 17th century and like one of those depicted in Briggs.

I believe the attitude noted above reflects that the sword is still "alive" within that culture, rather than merely an antique curiosity, as is the case with so many of the old weapons we enjoy. If we had an excuse to wear our favorite swords out and about every day, I suspect we also be inclined to keep the mounts up to date and in good repair. I must admit that I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
As a footnote, I have also noticed many blades are heavily scratched....I wonder whether sand is used as an abrasive cleaner.
I actually know the answer to this as it was demonstrated to me one night around the campfire, I believe by one of the drivers, who was delighted by the quality of the springy (European) blade of a takouba I had bought in Agadez at the start of the journey. A rounded (desert weathered) stone is used in one hand to hone the blade, grinding parallel to the length of the blade which is held with the other hand over the lap, the blade's tip flat on the side of the foot. This was not a special stone, though I was told favorite stones were kept to be re-used, but merely one picked up after a brief search in the area, which fit the hand well and appeared to be something like quartz.

I kept the stone and the takouba remains a favorite; again an older blade fairly recently remounted. The blue arrows show where the patina of the stone was disturbed by its use to sharpen the sword. The mounts are fairly modern and dressy, but it was the quality of the blade which was delighting our expedition's staff.
Attached Images

Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2008, 12:32 AM   #10
fernando

Hi David, thank you for your impressions.
I see that Lee has comented your post on the points he found worthy of note; i don't think i can add much to the remaining parts of your input, except that i will pray to the Gods to avoid me uncovering the leather work of my example and get acquainted with some oil company publicity
One point i might yet raise about the grooves; would it be possible/plausible that in some cases blades be acquired from trade sources (imported or so) with flat faces, and later have the three grooves ground, to follow local takouba tradition ?

Thanks a lot Lee, for your experienced clarifications. It's quite comforting to know that you wouldn't desdain from joining this takouba to your collection.
I wouldn't know how to judge its blade temper (spring) propperties, but i find that it offers some reasonable resistence to bending, as also it allways keeps its complete straightness, contrary to several blades one finds out there.
I had read in your article how those guys sharpen these blades; i see that you keep with pleasure the stone they gave you, but i must say i was delighted with the tea glass sharpening system.
I can see that my example appears to have sharpening marks made by distinct resources ; i wonder if those dots were made by a less rural device.

Fernando

Attached Images

Old 7th October 2008, 02:33 AM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Unhappy

Hi Fernando,
I really didn't mean to sound discouraging in my assessment. As has been well pointed out by David and Lee, these swords are very much important heirlooms, and more recent mounts are not in the least detrimental.
I am the first to avoid 'modern' weapons, however I very much respect the swords still being used in the 1930's and 40's. In Saudi Arabia, the Bedouin were still fighting and raiding with swords. In the Caucusus, the Khevsur tribes were still wearing chain armour and fighting with swords. In the Sahara the Tauregs still wear the takouba as Lee has noted, and one Fur tribesman I spoke with described the kaskaras still treasured and worn by tribal elders.

Its the blades that maintain the profound tradition, and in many cultures it is considered disrespectful to leave them in worn or shabby mounts.
Like Lee has said, it is really hard to assess these blades, especially from photos. The 'springier' examples tend to be European as he has noted but the moon marks seem more native in thier form and positioning, so there you have it.

On the comment on recent oil company identifier on the components...I recall a heavy dha I once bought which was Thai, and had a beautifully repoussed and silvered mounting. One evening while looking closely at the mounts, as I admired the great old blade...I was horrified as I found a marking deep in the silverwork......'Eveready' !!!
In recalling it now, I realize the blade was key, and the mounts simply local maintainance of an old sword. Its just a matter of perspective I guess.

All the best,
Jim
Old 8th October 2008, 01:52 PM   #12
Lee
EAAF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando
would it be possible/plausible that in some cases blades be acquired from trade sources (imported or so) with flat faces, and later have the three grooves ground, to follow local takouba tradition?
Those thin, narrow grooves are, in fact, features of the European trade blades of the 18th century and likely into the 19th century and are seen in other locally mounted swords throughout the world that use these blades.

The half-moons also started out on the European blades. Your blade is difficult to be certain of, origin wise. The quality of the half-moons is fairly good and they do appear more stamped than chiseled. So, without handling it, I am unsure as to whether this is a European blade or a carefully made local blade with added features from the trade blades. I flip back and forth as I look at it - but my attraction to this example remains unwavering. It is a nice example.

A stock-removal blade formed from sheet metal would, I suspect, likely not be earlier than the 20th century, although Briggs does show some examples retaining manufacturers stamps from presumed sheet stock. I have a sheet-metal bladed kaskara.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2008, 11:08 PM   #13
fernando

Thank you so much Lee, for the clarification on the grooves and all the other impressions.
I have made close up pictures of the half-moons in both blade faces. It appears they were not chiseled, but instead stamped, judging by some defect occurred in both sides, making one thing the marks were done with a (same) punch device.
... this if i catch your meaning and if i can see with the propper eyes.

Concerning sheet-metal, and again begging tolerance for my layman's eyes, this one certainly isn't made with such material ... for what matters. As i said before, and just tested again, i repeatedly bend it and it allways comes back to absolute straightness.
Fernando

Attached Images

Last edited by fernando; 9th October 2008 at 10:54 PM.
Old 9th October 2008, 01:10 AM   #14
Lew
(deceased)

Fernando

Here are a few pics of a mid 20th century takouba for comparison

Lew
Attached Images

Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 12:17 AM   #15
fernando

Thank you for posting those pictures, Lew.
What can i say that doesn't diminish or favour either piece, only transmiting an analitical view ... a master's view, by the way
All right, it's well visible that your takouba is a relatively recent production; its pommel is still glowing ... and so are the other elements.
However and as already assumed, i regret not to have enough background to establish the difference in age between your and my example, with the agravation that mountings in that part of the world are subject to a sudden ageing process, as pointed out by the connoisseurs.
Nevertheless it appears that your piece is 'virgin', having been acquired directly from the seller, whereas mine has strong signs of having been worn by some local Ihaggaren.
Do i notice that your pommel has a round discoid top? the one in mine, besides a distinct detail, has an oval shape, whatever that could mean ... antiquity or a regional distinction ... or just a model variant.
I would adventure that the half-moons in your blade are of the rather 'simple' type ; it looks like the punch was made with only a geometric preocupation, not caring for the human silhouette of the moons.
Enough nonsense, period.

Fernando

Attached Images

Old 10th October 2008, 01:18 AM   #16
Lew
(deceased)

Fernando

I agree your sword is much older my guess is first quarter of the 20th century or older. My sword is probably 1960s-70s and has seen little use still it's a nice example. It's really hard to find good examples of takoubas these days. So as far as I can tell you got a real nice one.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2008, 02:19 PM   #17
fernando

Thank you Lew.
Your is also a charming piece
Fernando