Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 17th February 2012, 03:01 PM   #1
Stan S.

Default Display Rack

Can anyone tell me if commercially available sword racks allow for the swords to be suspended diagonally (in other words, crossed) rather than horizonthaly? Also, are there any manufacturers that produce them in mahogany finish?
Attached Images

Stan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Andrew

I have not seen any, Stan. Most commercially produced racks are of the type you show.

The best way to hang/display weapons as you describe (in my experience) is to use thin wire and either small nails or picture hangers. Do a search for "display" or similar in the archives and you will find some threads where members have shared some of their solutions.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 03:07 PM   #3
Andrew

Oh, and incidentally, in my personal opinion, I dislike "racks" as they tend to detract from the weapons themselves. The rack you show is really not so much for display, but for heavier use in a martial art setting (e.g. to hold bokken and/or staffs which are regularly used in training).
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Stan S.

I am trying to avoid driving too many holes into my wall The collection I wish to display is quite large and consists of at least 15-20 swords, not too mention some shorter pieces, and is expected to grow. The idea was to utilze a few of these racks mounted side by side with swords being suspended diogonally behind my collection of shields - which would cover up most of the racks anyway exposing just the hilts and blade tips. Sort of like a classic way to display arms (see picture below) but with a clear Indo persian theme...
Attached Images

Stan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 07:48 PM   #5
rickystl

Hi Stan. Go to www.gunstands.com
You will notice they also offer sword racks - and in Mohogany. The horizonal rack shown in the photo is for swords without scabbards. But they will make them with a loop on both ends for scabbards.
I have purchased 5 racks from them - in Mahogany - and really like them. Two of mine were custom ordered.
They will make most anything you can dream up. And, I found their quality very good and their pricing very reasonable. They are very easy to work with.

I agree with Andrew that racks in general do somewhat distract from the beauty of the weapon. But if you own alot of stuff (LOL) like me, the racks are the only logical answer.

The Mahogany racks I bought from them look way better than anything you would find on Ebay or the like. They are made to order. Turn-around time is very quick. Good luck.

Rick.
rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2012, 08:12 PM   #6
Atlantia

Hi Stan,

Those martial arts racks are aimed at Katana and pole shafts etc.
They are great for swords in hard scabbards. So if you've got a lot of Dha or Golok or military sabres with metal scabbards etc... Then they are great and a cheap way to show off your weapons.

If you've got a lot of bare blades then they will tend to lean back in the slots on that sort of rack, You'll have to use blu-tak or something to keep them straight.
For bare blades you really want something a little different. I came up with using angled dowels on flat 'pillars'.
Here are pictures of the two racks that I made.
Attached Images

Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote