Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th August 2017, 10:14 PM   #1
nKante

Default Sudanese warrior question

Hopefully you folks can help. I am trying to establish when the Kaskara first appeared. Most examples I've seen are dated to the 19th century. I have read they could have been around as early as the 14th but I can't find any documentation. I am also trying to figure out when they started using chain mail and padded armor. I remember reading, on this site, an account of a medieval arms dealer being arrested for selling arms to Egypt. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
nKante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2017, 11:54 PM   #2
Timo Nieminen

Given that the kaskara is very similar to Mamluk swords of the 13th to 15th centuries (and older Syrian swords), the 14th century (or earlier) is quite likely.

Mail armour and padded armour was used in the area by the 15th century. Don't know about the Sudan, but Niger, Chad, and Ethiopia at least. "Kanem-Bornu", "Kanem", and "Bornu" might be useful search terms for finding more info on armour.
Timo Nieminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 09:05 AM   #3
Iain

Mail and quilted armour was introduced into Kano during the rule of sarki kanajeji (1390-1410) so it is safe to assume it was already in use in Sudan and Kanem-Bornu in the 14th century as the materials were coming from Egypt.

The 14th century is also a safe enough bet for swords, although the exact form would be somewhat different to the later more tribal kaskara form. Rather being Malmuk straight swords with iron pommels.

Certainly some kaskara of the form we recognize under that name are from the 18th century I think and in general I am of the opinion the metal hilt style is older (although it is not always a reliable indicator of age in extant examples!)

You won't find any solid documentation I'm afraid, although Ethiopian iconography and murals show cruciform hilted swords of the same style from 18th century (see attached) and I'm aware of at least one Mamluk sword (or at leas a sword in nearly identical style to a 14th or 15th century Mamluk piece) in an Ethiopian monastery, apparently formerly owned by an emperor.

Mamluk Egypt themselves of course made use of Mediterranean trade network which included European blades. The flow of these materials into the African interior was then something of a logical progression particularly from kingdoms with economic ties to Egypt.

Regarding arms dealers moving weaponry to Mamluk Egypt and the Ottomans, there are many cases as well as movements to the rest of the North African coast in violation of papal bans. See Rogers J.Michael. To and Fro. Aspects of Mediterranean Trade and consumption in the 15th and 16th Centuries for some examples.
Attached Images

Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 02:28 PM   #4
ariel

Given that pre-and early Islamic Arab and Sassanian swords were straight and double-edged, it is highly likely that similar Mamluk as well as Ethiopian/Sudanese swords got their origin from them , rather than from European crusaders. Himyarite kingdom in Yemen was tightly connected with Aksum ( both as trading partners and as enemies) and was destroyed by the Ethiopian Aksum in 525 C.E., well before Muhammad. Both were in tight contact with the Byzantium whose swords might have been adopted or, at least, added some influence.

Still, do the stories of trophy crusaders swords sold to Sudan by the victorious Muslims contain a grain of truth? Perhaps.

" That was in another country, and besides, the wench is dead".....
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2017, 04:12 PM   #5
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Given that pre-and early Islamic Arab and Sassanian swords were straight and double-edged, it is highly likely that similar Mamluk as well as Ethiopian/Sudanese swords got their origin from them , rather than from European crusaders. Himyarite kingdom in Yemen was tightly connected with Aksum ( both as trading partners and as enemies) and was destroyed by the Ethiopian Aksum in 525 C.E., well before Muhammad. Both were in tight contact with the Byzantium whose swords might have been adopted or, at least, added some influence.

Still, do the stories of trophy crusaders swords sold to Sudan by the victorious Muslims contain a grain of truth? Perhaps.

" That was in another country, and besides, the wench is dead".....
Thankfully I think the crusader connection is by and large recognized as a red herring these days. Although there is a grain of truth to it through trade blades even if these are hardly of crusade vintage.

Certainly straight blades swords were known from byzantine rule of the north African coast and Egypt and with spatha and steppes heritage. But the Kaskara with its rather specific cross guard form I think has a fairly direct link to Mamluk Egypt with its particular form including langets extending over the cross guard.

Last edited by Iain; 21st August 2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 22nd August 2017, 02:28 AM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

nKante,
It is always uplifting to see new interest in the history and development of arms forms. As you will find in many cases with ethnographic arms, a good number of now well established forms are relative newcomers to the panoply of distinctive weaponry.

The 'kaskara' is one of these, and I think Iain, who has advanced our understanding of these as well as its Saharan cousin, the takouba, more than anyone with his tenacious study. As he has concisely explained, this 'Sudanese' form of broadsword indirectly evolved from early Islamic and European broadsword forms, with Byzantine elements in degree, via the Mamluk conduit.

As far as a broad presence of tribal use in Sudan and contiguous regions, as has been noted, there was a minimal degree of use of these broadswords by mostly upper echelon and figures of standing in the 18th century.
In the 19th century, during the Mahdist movement, the massive numbers of his 'Ansar' forces had no swords of any kind, and it was not until around 1883 that large volumes of these 'kaskara' were produced.

Meanwhile, the use of broadswords by tribal peoples was well established much earlier in the Sahara, with the takouba and its associated forms. In regions of northern Nigeria and some contiguous areas, these as well as mail armor along with quilted armor was in use as well, creating the often romantic notions of these tribesmen using materials from the crusades.

As Iain has noted, these romantic notions are very much a red herring which has long since Victorian times been well discounted. The presence of early European blades as well as mail and such items is due more to trade and the importing of surplus weaponry in early times via Malta and other Mediterranean ports of call into North African regions, especially Tripoli.
These as well as Islamic materials also came into Alexandria in Egypt where they were diffused into trade areas by the Mamluks.

It does not seem that volumes of 'captured' crusaders arms were marketed as trophies to anxious tribal consumers. Only a few such 'trophy' swords were kept, and these were placed in the armoury in Alexandria. Most weapons gathered from these battlefields were typically 'recycled' as the metal was valuable in forging new arms by Muslim sources. With the European 'salvors', these gathered arms became saleable surplus, which as noted arrived in the volumes of materials exported.

Many of these early blades did circulate for a time through generations in North Africa, but most surviving examples (with rare exceptions) are blades from the mid to late 19th century which are products of the Mahdist period, some pre WWI, then post 1940s.

I hope this elaborates a bit more on the 'kaskara' question, and I hope Iain will adjust or add to what my perceptions state here. The reason I 'quote' the term kaskara, is that this very word is not even used in the Sudan or anywhere it is used to describe it. It is simply known locally as sa'if.
This term was derived from a Saharan tribal dialect by European linguists it appears, and became entered into the glossary of 'collectors' terms.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2017, 09:02 AM   #7
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
It does not seem that volumes of 'captured' crusaders arms were marketed as trophies to anxious tribal consumers. Only a few such 'trophy' swords were kept, and these were placed in the armoury in Alexandria. Most weapons gathered from these battlefields were typically 'recycled' as the metal was valuable in forging new arms by Muslim sources. With the European 'salvors', these gathered arms became saleable surplus, which as noted arrived in the volumes of materials exported.

Many of these early blades did circulate for a time through generations in North Africa, but most surviving examples (with rare exceptions) are blades from the mid to late 19th century which are products of the Mahdist period, some pre WWI, then post 1940s.

I hope this elaborates a bit more on the 'kaskara' question, and I hope Iain will adjust or add to what my perceptions state here. The reason I 'quote' the term kaskara, is that this very word is not even used in the Sudan or anywhere it is used to describe it. It is simply known locally as sa'if.
This term was derived from a Saharan tribal dialect by European linguists it appears, and became entered into the glossary of 'collectors' terms.
Hi Jim, as always a very succinct and informative post. I have to admit I have spent much less time researching the kaskara, although the name as you rightly point out is simply down to the fact that Stone labelled it as a kaskara (rightly in his case since he was specifically referring to use by the Bagirmi kingdom) and the term was then simply used by all and sundry to refer to swords from Sudan. However, given current forum discussions featuring the name game and not wanting to distract from the real topic at hand I'll move on...

Just a small point in the complete and well known grouping of swords that entered the Alexandria armoury, thanks to the excellent research of Clive Thomas, David Oliver and of course D.G. Alexander on these swords, we know most of these were in fact diplomatic gifts as part of treaties with Cyrpus. Even less romantic than war trophies!

Further, I have always to a degree questioned the idea of old blades being dumped on the African market when we have plenty of sources illustrating a thriving export industry from Europe to Mamluk Egypt and the Ottomans during the 15th century and later, although this was hardly legal. Mamluk Egypt also had a heavy reliance on European trade for metals including steel. In short I think the trade in blades was contemporary rather than old stock.

To get back to the original question of just when a kaskara became a kaskara, I think its important to note that we are essentially discussing a hilt form. In particular a form comprised of a guard with a cruciform shape and inveriably having an extension over the blade.

This style of guard was quite popular within Mamluk swords, not only on straight blades but also sabres. It differs significantly from another common but older style with larger pommels and shorter guards. While no expert in Mamluk weaponry as near as I can gather this style emerges in the late 15th century, as the piece in the image attached illustrates.

This is more or less the pattern the kaskara follows, although in the latter the pommel over time degenerates to a simple wrapped nub of leather and the grip is simplified as well.

Unsurprisingly the late 15th century and early 16th also is the period when Sennar, a kingdom heavily tied to Ottoman Egypt arises and notable for their heavy calvary patterned after the Mamluk model...
Attached Images

Old 22nd August 2017, 04:36 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Iain! and I as I had hoped, you have added exactly the edifications and notes much needed to better detail these developments with kaskara. I think Stone used the term drawn from Burton (1884) where indeed the Baghirmi usage was properly placed. It is surprising that Burton, an almost obsessive linguist and copious writer of footnotes, did not bother to note the kaskara term. This omission, given his reputation, seems to have implied that the term was broadly in use for these broadswords, and led to the sundry application that emerged via the Stone reference.

I did not realize that those Alexandria swords were diplomatic gifts, but that would explain that they were typical inscribed in Arabic. I had forgotten that detail, and as you note, far from being 'trophies'.

Thank you for adding the notes on Sennar as well, and I was trying to recall that very important kingdom, who seem to have been well aligned with the Mamluks, who had been filtering out of Egypt into those Sudanic regions for some time especially with their disastrous crushing by the Ottomans in 1517. They were well emplaced there when the Sultan from Egypt invaded there c. 1821 and finished the Mamluks as well as overtaking these regions to Ottoman rule. The ultimate beginning of the Mahdist rebellions of 1880s.

I totally agree, most of the blades we see are far more contemporary than these early ones. I also agree that the established trade between Europe and the Ottomans provided a pretty standard supply , and that the instances of notable crusader period items that have been discovered (as we know) were more of one off anomalies than surplus offal being unloaded into these markets.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2017, 06:05 PM   #9
ariel

Well, guys. I have been ironic with the "crusader" attribution:-)

I am unaware of any surviving Sudanese swords with medieval European blades, or even Mamluk ones. Was it possible to find one really-really old blade 300-500 years ago? Who knows? Perhaps. My Time Machine is in the garage right now ( you know, oil, filters, tranny is acting up, carburetor needs cleaning, heavy water tank is leaking, unobtainium has degraded... the usual...). As soon as Mr. Lou finishes his job and pockets my check, I shall let you know.
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2017, 07:06 PM   #10
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel
Well, guys. I have been ironic with the "crusader" attribution:-)

I am unaware of any surviving Sudanese swords with medieval European blades, or even Mamluk ones. Was it possible to find one really-really old blade 300-500 years ago? Who knows? Perhaps. My Time Machine is in the garage right now ( you know, oil, filters, tranny is acting up, carburetor needs cleaning, heavy water tank is leaking, unobtainium has degraded... the usual...). As soon as Mr. Lou finishes his job and pockets my check, I shall let you know.
The British museum has a very good example with an at least early blade.
http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16814

The Met has a quite interesting example with a Persian blade.

I can't recall a specifically medieval one. However nobody thought they existed in takouba either and I'm happy to say that changed... There might be a few others out there with at least 16th century trade blades.
Old 22nd August 2017, 11:33 PM   #11
Timo Nieminen

There's an example in Stone's Glossary (fig 425, sword 1) dated AH357 (AD967), according to the inscription on the blade. Can't tell much from the photo in Stone.

I wonder if it looks somewhat like this one?: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showpo...9&postcount=17
Timo Nieminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2017, 08:40 AM   #12
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo Nieminen
There's an example in Stone's Glossary (fig 425, sword 1) dated AH357 (AD967), according to the inscription on the blade. Can't tell much from the photo in Stone.

I wonder if it looks somewhat like this one?: http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showpo...9&postcount=17
Dates appearing in text on these blades are often tricky, they often don't indicate age but rather refer to historical events. The one pictured in Stone certainly is nowhere near that age but does appear from the photo to be a likely European blade in good mounts.
Attached Images

Old 23rd August 2017, 09:52 AM   #13
Roland_M

German Wikipedia says:

The origin of the Kaskaras lies in the dark of history. Because of their cruciform vessels, Kaskara's and European swords resemble each other. In the 19th century, African scientists, such as Samuel Whitebaker, founded this correspondence with the influence of the crusaders. The crusaders were active in Egypt and in 1183 Renaud de Châtillon with his army plundered the coast of the Red Sea down to the Nubian Aidhab. There is no evidence for the use of European swords outside Egypt.

It is more probable that Kaskara is descended from the early Arabian swords. These also had straight blades. The typically curved form only arose in the 15th century. In the middle of the 8th century, during the Islamic expansion, Arab tribes traversed the Sahara and possibly influenced the Sudanese smithy. Another assumption is that the swords were brought by the first Sudanese pilgrims when they were on their way back from Mecca.

From the 15th century onwards, European swords came across the ports of the Mediterranean or the Atlantic to Africa. First, the Portuguese established trading posts in Mauritania. Probably the European blades were only used from the 16th century on to the construction of the Kaskaras. At that time the import of blades from Spain, Italy and Germany increased significantly. In trade and craft centers, such as al-Fashir in Sudan, vessels and vagina were produced. There the blades got their ornaments. Local blades were partly forged with fake European fittings. An exact chronological classification is difficult. The majority of the oldest surviving caskas are from the 19th century; Single specimens have older blades

Roland
Roland_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2017, 03:03 PM   #14
Iain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland_M
German Wikipedia says:

The origin of the Kaskaras lies in the dark of history. Because of their cruciform vessels, Kaskara's and European swords resemble each other. In the 19th century, African scientists, such as Samuel Whitebaker, founded this correspondence with the influence of the crusaders. The crusaders were active in Egypt and in 1183 Renaud de Châtillon with his army plundered the coast of the Red Sea down to the Nubian Aidhab. There is no evidence for the use of European swords outside Egypt.

It is more probable that Kaskara is descended from the early Arabian swords. These also had straight blades. The typically curved form only arose in the 15th century. In the middle of the 8th century, during the Islamic expansion, Arab tribes traversed the Sahara and possibly influenced the Sudanese smithy. Another assumption is that the swords were brought by the first Sudanese pilgrims when they were on their way back from Mecca.

From the 15th century onwards, European swords came across the ports of the Mediterranean or the Atlantic to Africa. First, the Portuguese established trading posts in Mauritania. Probably the European blades were only used from the 16th century on to the construction of the Kaskaras. At that time the import of blades from Spain, Italy and Germany increased significantly. In trade and craft centers, such as al-Fashir in Sudan, vessels and vagina were produced. There the blades got their ornaments. Local blades were partly forged with fake European fittings. An exact chronological classification is difficult. The majority of the oldest surviving caskas are from the 19th century; Single specimens have older blades

Roland

Not a bad write up for Wikipedia but I think looking towards early pilgrims etc. does little for the kaskara form in particular. Certainly swords were a known weapon in these regions far before Islam but the specific cross guard of the kaskara is I think really the defining feature.

I have always hoped that at some point something of a hybrid piece would turn up showing a multi sided grip and pommel cap more in the Mamluk style, rather than the largely mid to late 19th century examples we are all used to.