Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 29th December 2006, 07:37 AM   #1
paolo

Default A strange bolo

Being new of this (and any other ) forum, I have many questions to put up for discussion; so You should forgive my hurry and aegerness to open threads and have answers.
Now I send some pics of a bolo I have with horn hilt and silver fittings (the pitted blade on one side has some brass inlay floral pattern I can't satisfying phtograph) with a fly whisk of horsehai. I never saw a similar one. Can someone help me?
Regards
Paolo
Attached Images

paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 07:31 PM   #2
Battara
EAAF Staff

Very interesting Paolo. I would say the mounts were more steel or aluminum and not silver (though only a jeweler's test can tell for sure) since silver does not pit like this. STill looks Katipunan (Luzon Island) and a higher ranking person. The fist was one of the signs of the Katipunan groups and it was actually a fist holding the scalp or severed head of a Spaniard. Not seen one with hair before, but a first for everything. Could you show pictures of the brass inlay? Very nice.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2006, 09:01 PM   #3
paolo

Tomorrow I'll try to take some pic of the brass inlay, but I'm not sure of the outcome because the blade is quite pitted.
Regards
Paolo
Old 29th December 2006, 09:57 PM   #4
VANDOO
(deceased)

I HAVE SEEN KNIVES WITH THIS FORM OF BLADE REFERED TO AS A TABAK. THEY TOOK THAT FORM DUE TO THE SPANISH LAW ENFORCED IN SOME REGIONS AGAINST KNIVES HAVING A SHARP POINT. I WOULD STILL CLASSIFY THIS AS A BOLO AND HAVE SEEN SOME SIMULAR WORK FROM LUZON. I AGREE WITH JOSE AND TO CHECK THE METAL TRY A MAGNET IF ITS SILVER OR WHITE METAL IT WON'T STICK. I HAVE A SIMULAR FIST HANDLE WITH SILVER AND A GOLD RING ON THE FINGER. SO IT IS A REOCCURING THEME WHICH NO DOUBT HAS SOME MEANING. NICE KNIFE
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2006, 08:46 AM   #5
paolo

Thank you for the inputs.
Battara, attached some pics of the brass inlay. As I wrote, is very difficult to have them in an acceptable quality.
Regards
Paolo
Attached Images

Old 30th December 2006, 08:50 AM   #6
paolo

Vandoo, I put the magnet on fittings and it won't stick, so they shold be silver or aluminium.
Regards
Paolo
Old 30th December 2006, 07:10 PM   #7
Battara
EAAF Staff

One thing I forgot: Welcome to the Forum!

Thank you for the brass pictures. Yes I do think this belonged to someone who is of higher rank and it older, around the turn of the century at least. I would suggest taking it to a jeweler to have the metal tested.

VERY nice piece. Thank you.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2006, 09:30 AM   #8
paolo

Thank you for the exhaustive answers. For sure next year I'll test the fittings metal by a jeweller. (not too simple walk in the city with a bolo under arms !!!).
Happy New Year
Paolo
Old 1st January 2007, 10:16 AM   #9
galvano

Default hi all

paolo look page 124 from " a glossary of the construction,decoration and use of arms and armor in all countries and all times" george cameron stone . we have the same.
galvano
galvano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2007, 04:40 PM   #10
paolo

Yes I saw times ago, is the same but it hasn't the fly whisk of horsehair.
Paolo