Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 6th February 2017, 05:17 PM   #1
La Pagaru

Default Keris bugis like 15 Handel(Hulu) from sea ivory

I hope this Keris bugis we can discussion, first off all I am sorry for my English is very bad, thanks before
Attached Images

La Pagaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 08:28 PM   #2
Marcokeris

nice...and stunning hilt
Marcokeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2017, 09:10 PM   #3
La Pagaru

Default The keris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcokeris
nice...and stunning hilt
thanks Marco, I very like Hulu /Handel from this Keris, rare
Old 6th February 2017, 11:51 PM   #4
kai

Smile

Welcome to our little coffee bar, LP!

The hilt looks very nicely done with especially deep carving. Has it been stained to yield a deeper color?

If possible, adding pictures taken from a plain side view (orthogonal and not at some fancy angle) would be really great. This is especially important for getting a better idea of the blade, please!

I believe this also is a karmadikan blade (very difficult to estimate from the pics though).

Could you give us an overview on the current blacksmithing done in Sulawesi Selantan, please? I have seen quite a few blades of current era production and I would be very interested to hear some insider info about the empu/panre doing this work! If it's too tough to do in English, just write it in Bahasa Indonesia and we'll try to do a translation...

Thanks a lot for your efforts to post in English! I know it's tough, especially in the beginning!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 01:53 AM   #5
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
I believe this also is a karmadikan blade (very difficult to estimate from the pics though).

Could you give us an overview on the current blacksmithing done in Sulawesi Selantan, please? I have seen quite a few blades of current era production and I would be very interested to hear some insider info about the empu/panre doing this work! If it's too tough to do in English, just write it in Bahasa Indonesia and we'll try to do a translation...
I agree that it is hard to tell from these images, but i suspect this entire ensemble is very likely contemporary. The hilt is a lovely and intricate carving as far as i can tell, very nice craftsmanship. But the very even tone makes me believe it has been stained to achieve this antique look.
It has always been the policy of these fora that we write our posts in English. Given the very international nature of our membership it could get pretty messy if everyone wrote in their native tongues. While i appreciate your offer to translate Kai i would much prefer that La Pagura continue as best he can in English. We can always ask for clarification if there is some confusion with a post. Thanks!
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 02:23 AM   #6
La Pagaru

Default Thanks Kai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
Welcome to our little coffee bar, LP!

The hilt looks very nicely done with especially deep carving. Has it been stained to yield a deeper color?

If possible, adding pictures taken from a plain side view (orthogonal and not at some fancy angle) would be really great. This is especially important for getting a better idea of the blade, please!

Thanks a lot for your efforts to post in English! I know it's tough, especially in the beginning!

Regards,
Kai
first off all I would to say I am very sorry my English very bad, Kai mungkin Anda bisa menerjemahkan kedalam bahasa Indonesia, Keris ini Adalah Keris sepuh Bukan kemardikaan, Keris ini Adalah miliki seorang raja Dari bugis Bernama La temmupage Arung Labuaja, mungkin Dari beberapa postingan saya sebelumnya saya mencoba untuk memperkenalkan Karya empu Dari tanah sulawesi, empu di Sulawesi terbilang sedikit tetapi memiliki kemampuan dalam membuat pusaka sangat di akui Oleh empu empu di Jawa, ada beberapa teknik terapan PADA Keris maupun PADA badik atau Pedang yang tidak mampu di ikuti Oleh empu di luar Sulawesi,
Old 7th February 2017, 03:41 AM   #7
A. G. Maisey

I have had this translation checked by a bilingual native speaker of Indonesian. It is a free translation, not word for word and is couched in colloquial English.

This is an old keris, not a kemardikan keris, and is owned by a Bugis Raja whose name is La temmupage Arung Labuaja. In a few of my previous postings I tried to introduce work of empu from Sulawesi, there are only a few empus in Sulawesi but their ability to make keris (ie, pusaka, or perhaps "tosan aji") is well acknowledged by the empus of Jawa, there are several layers of techniques that are used by empus in Sulawesi in making keris, badik or pedang that are not used by empus outside Sulawesi.

I have translated "beberapa teknik terapan" as "several layers of techniques". Other translations are possible, but I think what La Paguru is trying communicate is that the actual work flow used to produce a keris by Bugis makers differs from the work flow used by makers outside of Sulawesi.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2017, 04:19 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Alan, i would like to thank you for taking the time to translate La Pagura's last post. However, as we move forward i would like to impress one more time that this is an English speaking forum. If we open our doors to members posting in what ever their native tongues are hoping for the kindness of others to undertake translation or worst yet, finding ourselves dependent upon internet translation services such as google (which does a simply awful job with Bahasa Indonesian) we will be trying to hold worthwhile discussions in a virtual Tower of Babel. Please be sure to post in English in the future. Thanks you all.
David is offline   Reply With Quote