Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 23rd October 2008, 07:19 AM   #1
TVV

Default Kaskara for comments

It took me a while until I got my first kaskara (or Sudanese sa'yf, but kaskara i easier and everyone knows what I mean). It is long, about 40 inches in length in total.
I hope it is an antique sword as it does not strike me as anything intended to be a souvenir. I think the blade is a locally forged one and aimed at imitating German trade blades. I was intrigued by the "wolf" marking. As you can see, it is very rough, just like the markings on the other side of the blade. My guess is that the latter are illegible and a translation would be impossible to obtain.
The crossguard is steel and quite massive. I have taken a picture of how it has four langets, with the one running parallel to the hilt tucked inside the hilt wrapping, as I remembered an old thread in which there was a discussion about this.
The hilt is missing the pommel and is covered in animal hide with some fur still on. I have no idea about what animal it is. If I have to guess I would say it is most likely something domesticated, such as a goat, but I would love to hear suggestions.
Also, what is your opinion about the age and the origin of the blade?
Thank you,
Teodor
Attached Images

TVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:19 PM   #2
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Teodor,
This is what I would consider a classic example of kaskara (and thank you for noting the correct term sa'if, as discussed for years from Darfur. It seems one of the key identifiers of Darfur examples is the raised cross at the juncture of quillons and langets, seen in examples in "Kaskara from Northern Darfur, Sudan" (Graham Reed, JAAS, Vol. XII, #3, March 1987). In example LII, an example with this distinct cross on the guard, and the blade has a similar central fuller, with the 'running wolf' with it noted that it is likely German trade blade of 18th century. I think your example may well be one of the Solingen blades but not sure if that early, and although even the German interpretations of the wolf are primitive looking, these seem shallower and possibly native added.

The interesting inscribing on the opposite side of the blade is not likely to represent writing of any kind, but seems to correspond with the almost runic, stick type characters often seen in the figures used as camel brands in these regions (see works by H.A.MacMichael on the Sudan and Kordofan in 1913 and 1922). I cannot say what these groupings of symbolic figures would signify, but simply supports native application, and seems contemporary with the wolf marking.

The hilt is of course missing the disc pommel, and the wood grip is covered as noted, with animal hide, most likely goat. In Reed (op.cit. p.168) it is mentioned that scabbards were often of goat skin stained red or brown. On most of the Darfur hilts I have seen they typically have some element of crocodile hide, but since goat hide was so prevalently used, it seems that it would not be unlikely to have had the grip covered in this material.

The kaskara remains a prominant symbol of prestige among the Fur in Darfur, and it is not surprising to see these refurbished many times through the years. This blade has some potential with what appears to be distinct aging under the langet, and seems to have been cleaned with components intact.
It is quite possible for this to be a native forged blade, but has strong possibility it may be German trade of 19th century.

Congratulations Teodor! Well done for your first example!!

All best regards,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 10:37 PM   #3
katana

Hi Teodor ,
interesting sword, the first I have seen with a 'fur' handle. The 'X' detail on the crossguard where it meets the langets is another thing I have not seen before....a nice 'touch'.
I also noticed that one of the markings seems to be the 'half moon' often associated with these and Takouba.

Well done....good ones (older) are not so common....it seems.

Kind Regards David

Attached Images

katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2008, 11:19 PM   #4
TVV

Jim and David,

Thank you very much for you comments.
I did not know about the raised cross at the crossguard junction. It is really nice to be able to narrow the origin down to a specific geographic area, in this case Darfur.
There are actually two wrappings, with another layer of leather underneath the goat hide. Most of the fur from the goat hide is gone, aand it mostly remains towards the crossguard. It feels comfortable in the hand. Personally, if it has to be wrapped in some sort of hide/leather, I'd rather have goat hide than lizard or crocodile skin. I find the hilts, mounted with crocodile legs a bit repulsive.
David's observation on one of the markings with cemi-circular shape is interesting, and I was wondering the same thing. However, are there any other instances, in which laf-moon symbols co-exist with "running wolf" symbols on the same blade?

Again, thank you for your replies,

Teodor
Old 24th October 2008, 01:01 PM   #5
katana

Hi Teodor,
Kaskara blades were often locally marked / etched .... copying earlier markings seen on European blades. I have seen blades etched/chiselled with sun,star and the half moon symbols (which seemed to be original to the blade) with a snake (added later) design running down the fuller with Arabic script.
In essence the locals viewed the markings on the 'imported' blades as talismatic, a sign of quality......or both. So differing combinations of these symbols 'co-exist' on the same blade.

Interestingly, it seems that some late 19th C 'trade' blades have no markings at all Whether this was due to the Madhist uprising or not...who knows ?? (perhaps, the demand for swords required quickly gave little time to 'embellish' the blades with symbols)

Regards David
katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 04:06 PM   #6
Lew
(deceased)

I see that one of the marks resembles the running wolf mark seen on German blades and the cross guard seems 19th century to me. I would remove the goat skin to see what condition the hilt is in. As for the pommel one can easily create a new one they are attached to the hilt by a cross pin ans can be recovered in some old leather.

Lew
Lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 04:22 PM   #7
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Arrow

Another X guard .
Thanks for pinning down the area Jim .
Attached Images

Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2008, 04:47 PM   #8
TVV

David,
Initially I thought this is a locally made blade, but what you and Jim suggest is very likely - a trade blade, marked locally. The markings as shown are very crude.

Lew,
I also thought about removing the goat skin, but I am afraid I would not be able to put it back on if I do that, and there is another layer underneath. Where the wooden hilt is exposed, it appears to be in decent shape. Patinated as old wood should be, but dry and not rotting, and it is quite sound. I think I will leave the hilt as is . I might add a pommel, which should be pretty easy to make at one point, but everything else I would rather keep in as original condition as possible. I am thinking of applying some Peckard in the parts, where the fur is off the skin.

Regards,
Teodor
Old 24th October 2008, 06:04 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Another X guard .
Thanks for pinning down the area Jim .

You bet Rick!
On this one it looks like there is a stamped mark under the langet, can you get a shot of it? If its what I think it is I mad have more info.

All the best,
Jim
Old 24th October 2008, 06:11 PM   #10
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

I think we may have traveled this road Jim, but if you've got some new ideas I am definitely all ears !

Teodor, could the markings be talismanic in nature ?
There seems to be a similarity to some I have seen elsewhere .
Attached Images

Last edited by Rick; 24th October 2008 at 06:34 PM.
Old 24th October 2008, 06:33 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVV
David,
Initially I thought this is a locally made blade, but what you and Jim suggest is very likely - a trade blade, marked locally. The markings as shown are very crude.

Lew,
I also thought about removing the goat skin, but I am afraid I would not be able to put it back on if I do that, and there is another layer underneath. Where the wooden hilt is exposed, it appears to be in decent shape. Patinated as old wood should be, but dry and not rotting, and it is quite sound. I think I will leave the hilt as is . I might add a pommel, which should be pretty easy to make at one point, but everything else I would rather keep in as original condition as possible. I am thinking of applying some Peckard in the parts, where the fur is off the skin.

Regards,
Teodor
I'm glad you choose to keep the hilt as much intact as possible, and agree that a replacement pommel would be good, just for aesthetic balance.

As noted, these markings do seem to have been locally added in imitation of the German markings. I believe that the original running wolf on German blades would have been stamped and appeared on earlier blades c.18th c. but on the reverse of the blade in similar location was the cross and orb in many of these cases.

As David has noted, many Solingen blades of the 19th century were 'blank' particularly toward the latter part. During the Mahdist period, these blades, which were typically the central triple fuller form were sent to the primary armoury at Khartoum for furbishing. There huge volumes of these and the other weapons being prepared for issue to the Ansar forces, were often profusely decorated with the acid etched 'Thuluth' calligraphy, imitating devotional passages cited from the Koran. The huge volumes of these weapons reached what must have been a production machine that seems to echo that of Solingen.

Interestingly from what I understand, Darfur was resistant to participate in the Mahdist movement, so most of the kaskara there I presume remained in somewhat separate entity.

One of the best books I have read concerning these events is titled "Prisoners of the Mahdi" (1989) by the late Byron Farwell, who was a maginficent writer on these subjects, and also wrote on his favorite topic "The Gurkhas". The detail in his writing was fantastic, and he was a kind and helpful gentleman always helpful with queries.

Rick, we have indeed been down that road, and many others!! I am thinking that the mark I see may be close to one with circle and horns which I have been working on for a reeeallllyyy, long time! What is interesting is that these marks are stamped, near the forte, and they may be armoury marks...not makers marks.

All best regards,
Jim

Rick...we crossed posts, thank you for posting this. Yup....thats the mark OK. On the example I was researching, which was a very high quality kaskara, silver mounted with typical crocodile hide grip (similar to examples seen on the article by Reed) , it was suggested this sword was possibly from a very important armoury.
Old 24th October 2008, 06:37 PM   #12
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Cool

Most interesting Jim .
This stamp is definitely not a partial one .
Can't wait to hear more when you get there .

EDIT

Cross posts !!
I can tell you that the blade seems to be of very good quality with an admirable temper .

Last edited by Rick; 24th October 2008 at 07:20 PM.
Old 24th October 2008, 11:46 PM   #13
TVV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Teodor, could the markings be talismanic in nature ?
There seems to be a similarity to some I have seen elsewhere .
As for the "running wolf" I think it is just a proof of quality, imitating similar marks found on earlier trade blades. Considering it is a living thing, I doubt it had any sort of symbolism among the Muslims in Sudan.
I think you could be right about the markings on the other side of the blade though. It is quite likely that they may have had some protective properties to the original owner of the sword, perhaps in the "warding off evil" variety. Jim mentioned "camel branding" and another possibility is their use as armory marks. I think a talismanic meaning is more likely though.
Regards,
Teodor
Old 25th October 2008, 12:00 AM   #14
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

I think so Teodor .
One of the marks looks sort of like Solomon's Square .