Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 10th June 2016, 11:16 PM   #1
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Default The Camel and Heavy Weapons.

I note that detail of Camel mounted weapons is missing from Library and hope to put that right ...The camel has long been used for transporting men and materiel to and from the battlefront...Not much is written about their use as weapon platforms or heavy weapons carriers....til now.
Understandably heavy weaponry would be best not fired as the camel was standing up or moving but sat down (kneeling) and tethered I can imagine a fairly solid platform was achievable.

Mughal Artillery, however, it is claimed, used lighter Camel artillery whilst moving; "Camel guns" Shutarnal and "swivel guns" Zamburak, on the other hand, were carried on camel-back and were fired while mounted. Other light guns were mounted on wheeled carts, pulled by oxen or horses.

See http://www.heliograph.com/trmgs/trmgs2/camel.shtml
See also http://www.desertusa.com/animals/des...xperiment.html
Attached Images

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 10th June 2016 at 11:46 PM.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 05:09 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Ibrahiim:

Thank you for posting these interesting pics. The last one, showing mounted riflemen using the British SMLE Mk. III in 0.303 caliber, brings back less than pleasant memories of my adolescent school days lugging around the same weapon on buses and trains as part of mandatory participation in school cadets. Such was school life in Australia in the 1960s.

Ian.

Last edited by Ian; 11th June 2016 at 05:34 AM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 05:32 AM   #3
Bob A

I seem to recall T E Lawrence mentioning using camel-mounted Lewis guns, but references elude me at this time. The Ur-technical of the period, I suppose.
Bob A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 09:30 AM   #4
kahnjar1

I could understand rifles and maybe machine guns being used while mounted on camels, but find it a little hard to accept that cannon were mounted in such a fashion. The recoil of such a weapon would be considerable. Surely these sketches must contain some rather far fetched artistic licence?
I can relate to Ian's comment re school cadets and the heavy (for school boys) Lee Enfield. In organised range shoots I can remember a very small of stature friend having to climb back up the mound after each shot!
Stu
kahnjar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 12:52 PM   #5
estcrh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahnjar1
I could understand rifles and maybe machine guns being used while mounted on camels, but find it a little hard to accept that cannon were mounted in such a fashion. The recoil of such a weapon would be considerable. Surely these sketches must contain some rather far fetched artistic licence?
I guess it depends on your definition on "cannon".

Quote:
Indian (mughal) matchlock swivel cannon (zamburak, shaturnal , shahin), used on the back of a camel or even elephant. With a bore in excess of one inch and a barrel around three times the normal width of a musket. Superb early ironwork with superb hide retaining straps, fine walnut stock. 62 inches overall length, barrel length 41.25 inches, external muzzle width 2 inches.
Attached Images

estcrh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2016, 01:48 PM   #6
Edster

No sure if this post is "legal" 'cause it shows a Camel Gatling Gun that is currently for sale. But still it seems to fit the subject.

http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/co...n-45-70-c9743/

Regards,
Ed
Edster is offline   Reply With Quote