Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 2nd December 2005, 05:58 PM   #1
Mark

Smile Recovery of a family sword

Rick asked in another thread to hear the story of how I secured a saber that belonged to my great-great-grandfather, who was a Captain in the Union Army during the Civil War. BEWARE, what follows is a long self-involved treatise on some family history and my own rather less interesting doings in getting a hold on this sword. No apologies, though.

By an absolutely random turn of fate, I happened to Google the name of my ancestor, whose name was Charles Pickering Bowditch (hereinafter referred to by the internal family moniker of "CP"). There is a law firm in Boston, MA of the name of Dewey and Bowditch, and someone asked if there was a family connection. I knew that CP was a successful trustee in Boston, but was not sure if his firm was, or became, this law firm. So I Googled him, and among the hits I got was to an auction up in Manchester, NH, that was taking place the very next day. I checked the on-line catalogue, and low and behold among the lots were CP's saber, his cavalry uniform, what is called a "carte de visite" of CP (those neat studio photographs that people got in those days and gave to friends, family and social contacts), the uniform and saber of his brother, Henry Pickering Bowditch, a second saber of HP's (http://www.amoskeag-auction.com/50/100.html), and a number of smaller Civil War items that once belonged to HP.

The story given in the lot description accords exactly with family lore & documents. We also know that CP basically ran away to join the army against his father's wishes. His father (Joseph Ingersoll Bowditch) forbade CP, who was at Harvard at the time, from enlisting in what he maintained was "not his war." Joseph also felt that he had already given a son to the Union, as his eldest son Henry was already an officer. CP's responses were very passionate, because he felt that it was a just war and that it was not only the patriotic thing to do, but also his moral responsibility. It was a very touching insight into his personality, because in later years he developed (at least within the family) the reputation of being rather a bastard. There is an amazing series of letters leading up to his enlistment, and reporting home about his military activities, that document this. CP describes his early activities, which consisted mainly of blockading a port, but he did see some action later on apparently. He first enlisted in a "colored" infantry regiment, and I think this was his command during the blockade. His letters went on at length about the pride and confidence that he had in his men, and how they were soldiers of the highest caliber. He later transferred to a "colored" cavalry regiment, the 5th Massachusetts Cavalry (Colored), which was his older brother's regiment. I have often wondered whether there was any connection between the 5th Mass. Cavalry (Colored) and the 5th Mass. Infantry (Colored), which was very famous and the subject of the movie “Glory.” The 5th cavalry evidently didn’t get wiped in the battle that made the 5th Mass. Infantry (Colored) famous, at any rate.

After retiring with the rank of Captain, CP went on to found a trust firm (trustees handle other people's money, usually under the provisions of a will). He also was an active business investor and amateur archeologist. He underwrote a number of expeditions to Mexico, which resulted in important finds at Teotiuacan, Chizen Itza, and other places, the most famous of which was the Mayan calendar. He helped decipher that as well. HP went on to a successful medical career and was instrumental in a lot of medical reforms and modernization. So both were pretty well-known and prominent men in their time, additionally for the reason that their grandfather was Nathanial Bowditch, who was the foremost mathematician and astronomer in the US in his time (recognized in contemporary Europe as just about the only "real" scientist in the US), the author of the American Practical Navigator, the first and still most important treatise on celestial navigation (still used today – he is known in nautical circles as “the father of modern navigation”), and a trustee of Harvard University where he got the near-bankrupt University onto a sound financial footing (the University President had to give up his yacht, though). So, the auction lots were primo material for CW collectors because of provenance, backstory on the owners, and their post-service notoriety.

Back to the present. I tried to convince my father, who lives a couple of hours north of Manchester, to go down and bid, but he didn't get the point and was unenthusiastic about the drive. After failing to contact a collector in Connecticut who I was hoping to try and convince to go up and bid for me, I called the auctioneers and got all the scoop on making phone bids. What followed was an interesting series of screw-ups and coincidences. The auction house was pretty excited to have a family member involved in the auction, and faxed me the forms to register as a telephone bidder. They came to my office's mail-room, and got to my desk around 5pm. I immediately saw the note on the cover sheet that my contact was going to leave by 4:15pm, in case I had any questions. I filled out the form anyway, then realized that I could not remember my new phone number, which of course was needed if the auction was going to call me to make phone bids. So, I decided to wait until I got home, and fax it from there (8pm was the cut-off for receipt). I did so, but the auction house's fax number kept returning an "out of service" message. So, in desperation, I e-mailed an explanation and all the information to the owner of the auction house (which was the only e-mail address I could find). No access to a scanner, so I couldn't attach a scan of the signed form. The day of the auction I waited hopefully for a call, but didn't think it was likely. The auction started at 10am, and my lots were expected to come up around 11-11:30. The call didn't come. Much later in the day I was rummaging around in my e-mail and happened to look in my "sent" folder -- I was stunned to see that my e-mail had not gone out Friday night, but rather at precisely 10:01 am Saturday (one minute after the start of the auction, by which time the man I had addressed the e-mail to, as well as my contact, were already on the floor running the auction). I have no idea why my computer waited like 14 hours to send my e-mail, but obviously even if there were a chance it could have worked to get me qualified to bid by phone, that was the end of it. The fates were conspiring against me.

Now the good news, and positive twists of Fate. I got a call Monday after the auction. Of all of the "Bowditch" lots, CP's uniform and saber had not sold because the reserve prices were not met! I was offered to buy them at the reserve price. Apparently no one had yet even seen my late e-mail, but I was informed that my absence was particularly noticed by the owner of the auction house. With a cooler head I decided to buy only the saber, and not fork out $20K for the uniform.

I hope you all don’t mind by long, egocentric ramblings about the former glory of my family, but I am in general very sentimental, and it meant a great deal to me even to have found these things that I were sure were lost forever to the family. I will post photos when I get the sword. Though it was a separate lot in the auction, it is at least pictured in the on-line photo of CP’s uniform.

Last edited by Mark Bowditch; 1st March 2006 at 09:11 PM.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2005, 09:20 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Thumbs up

Fascinating story, Mark. Did you happen to get the unifrom as well as the sword? What about HP's swords and uniform? Did other members of your family also try to preserve their history?

ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2005, 09:46 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Cool

THATS QUITE A STORY!! IT IS GREAT THAT IT HAD A HAPPY ENDING ESPECIALLY CONSIDERING THE WAY IT WENT DOWN. CONGRADULATIONS!!

NOW YOU HAVE SOMETHING IN YOUR COLLECTION WITH REAL PROVENANCE AND IF YOU HAVE A AUCTION HOUSE CATALOG LISTING AND SHOWING THE OTHER ITEMS THAT WILL BE GOOD PROVENANCE ALSO. YOU PROBABLY GOT IT CHEAPER THAN YOU WOULD HAVE IF YOU HAD BEEN AT THE AUCTION AS KNOWING THERE WAS FAMILY THERE SOMEONE MIGHT HAVE RAN YOU UP, WAY TO GO MARK
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2005, 11:06 PM   #4
ariel

Mark,
I think you have to quit your law practice a write a Hollywood script ( every lawyer I knew has already done both...)
Fascinating story! In this day and age it is not easy to dig that deep into your genealogy and to get an important relic to boot!
Congratulations!
And remember: thanks Heaven your ancestor was not from the South. Otherwise, a provenanced Confederate sword would have been bought in a flash by some reenactor of The War of Northern Aggression, no matter the reserve price .
ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2005, 03:33 AM   #5
BluErf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bowditch
I hope you all don’t mind by long, egocentric ramblings about the former glory of my family, but I am in general very sentimental, and it meant a great deal to me even to have found this things that I were sure were lost forever to the family.
Not at all, Mark! It made a very interesting read. And of course, congratulations for retrieving an important family heirloom!
BluErf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2005, 04:58 AM   #6
Battara
EAAF Staff

Yes, congratulations and thank you for sharing. Glad it is now being kept in the family.
Battara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2005, 12:47 AM   #7
ham

Mark,

A very inspiring read with sufficient twists and turns to keep anyone riveted.
Glad you acquired the sword and will, hopefully be able to pass it down to future Bowditch...es (?)
Your grandfather's tale is not unlike that of J.L. Chamberlain, an academic who served his country to the utmost for decades, beginning with his enlistment in the Union Army against his parents' wishes, as I recall... he was from Maine, perhaps he knew your granddad.

Sincerely,

Ham
ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th December 2005, 05:27 PM   #8
Mark

I am indeed very pleased with the acquisition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian
Fascinating story, Mark. Did you happen to get the unifrom as well as the sword? What about HP's swords and uniform? Did other members of your family also try to preserve their history?

ian.
I did not get any of the other lots, which I think is a good thing as I would have had to take out a second mortgage on my house to pay for them. I have no idea whether or not other family members were bidding, but I somehow doubt it, unless the seller tipped them off. Apparently they had all been in a private collection for years, so clearly someone in the family sold them off at some point.

I have a very very vague childhood recollection of visiting some cousin and seeing a sabre next to the fireplace (I don't remember a tassel, so I don't think that it was this one). I imagine that was his official side-arm, since the one I bought is described as "non-official" (or something to that effect). One of HP's two sabres was also described as "non-official," as well. There is also apparently CP's cavalry cape in a dresser drawer somewhere in a cousin's house -- it is interesting to note that the uniform in the auction didn't include the cape.

Keeping family history is a tradition in my family, and one quirky thing about 19th C. New England families (maybe others as well at that time), is that they liked to self-publish memoires & correspondence, and publish little tributes or memorances of the departed. We have a few of these, including a pamphlet with CP's Civil War correspondence.
Old 8th December 2005, 09:26 AM   #9
Raja Muda

Default Return of the Sword

Congratulations Mark,

Your story gives hope to people like me, who are still in the lookout for their family's long lost Pusaka.
Unfortunately, record keeping has always been rather problematic in this part of the world, so a long lost pusaka might just end up being that, long and lost.
Raja Muda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th December 2005, 07:25 PM   #10
Ferguson

Fascinating and heartening! Great story. Congratulations on returning a family heirloom to a member of the family who can appreciate it.

Steve
Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2006, 08:57 PM   #11
Mark

I finally had some time to take pictures. The sword is in perfect condition, at least for a 140 year-old sword. The blade has elaborate etching, but rather shallow so it is hard to photograph. The blade is marked "W Clauberg Solingen" with a standing knight with a sword at ground rest. It was hard to photograph through the guard, but its there. The last pic shows my great-great-grandfather's initials "CPB" (Charles Pickering Bowditch).
Attached Images

Last edited by Mark Bowditch; 2nd February 2006 at 09:07 PM.
Old 2nd February 2006, 09:50 PM   #12
LabanTayo

congratulations mark. very very cool story and the history behind it. now you have a pusaka to pass down.
LabanTayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2006, 10:43 PM   #13
Mark

A quick internet search found that this is a Model 1850 Staff and Field sword, though it is not exactly the same as the one I found. The bolster is a bit different in the line as it meets the pommel, and the scabbard chape is thinner and separate from the upper suspension ring. I expect these are not significant differences, though.
Old 3rd February 2006, 01:02 AM   #14
Rick
Vikingsword Staff

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Bowditch
A quick internet search found that this is a Model 1850 Staff and Field sword, though it is not exactly the same as the one I found. The bolster is a bit different in the line as it meets the pommel, and the scabbard chape is thinner and separate from the upper suspension ring. I expect these are not significant differences, though.
Private purchase perhaps ?

//(pardon the alliteration )
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 12:52 PM   #15
RSWORD

A wonderful story and I note that the blade has "Hua Bua" tip.
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 01:33 PM   #16
Andrew

Cool

Mark, that is really outstanding. Congratulations!
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2006, 01:34 PM   #17
Andrew

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSWORD
A wonderful story and I note that the blade has "Hua Bua" tip.
Of course it does. You know there simply had to be a dha connection somewhere.
Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2006, 08:57 PM   #18
us_milcoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Private purchase perhaps ?

//(pardon the alliteration )

Yes...in my humble opinion from collecting militaria. Definetly a private purchase sword, before seeing the Clauberg mark...I had assumed by the hilt that it was of French origins. As some French produced 1850 Staff & Fields have the same ornate 3-5 bar hilts with similar butt caps, and the distinctive raised floral work down the backstrap.
But then no surprise the French influenced a lot of the sword stylings used in Europe, and the US at that time. So much so that swords of the style were often considered a mark of distinction among officers of the period.

A very nice sword w/ history...glad to see it where it belongs.
us_milcoll is offline   Reply With Quote