Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 17th January 2007, 04:43 AM   #1
fenlander

Thumbs up Can anyone give more info

Posted this a while back along with some other knives. I am still really curious as to what it is and what it was used for. Also can I clean it with metal polish (yes I am a novice). I am posting it again by itself as would love some new information. I am really frustrated to know EXACTLY what it is. So far I don't have an exact answer. How can I find out. Can I send it somewhere ? Some questions below.
What was it used for ?
Location of origin ?
Date ?
What animal is the horn from ?
Why is the handle so small, seems non practical.
A friend gave me this knife for free. He has no use for it and said I can have it. He knows nothing about knives, but I want to give him something for it. How much should I give as a gesture
Attached Images

Last edited by fenlander; 17th January 2007 at 05:04 AM. Reason: edited pictures
fenlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 02:51 AM   #2
Emanuel

Hello fenlander,
I'll take a stab at it...the handle has an antler, so any number of deer species could supply it. The blade and guard give me a Filipino feel. The scabbard with rattan cord looks like that of a dha, so a Thai/Burmese origin maybe. Overall, it looks like it was put together from many things maybe at different times? Try cleaning the blade of rust and see what you get. Doesn't fit neatly in the named categories, so maybe you'll find many names meaning "knife", and I guess it is a low level tool and maybe a hunting knife since it has a stag handle. How is this connected to the handle, does the handle wrap around the antler or is the antler stuck to the end of the handle?

Regards,
Emanuel

Last edited by Manolo; 18th January 2007 at 03:02 AM.
Emanuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 04:41 AM   #3
fenlander

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolo
Hello fenlander,
I'll take a stab at it...the handle has an antler, so any number of deer species could supply it. The blade and guard give me a Filipino feel. The scabbard with rattan cord looks like that of a dha, so a Thai/Burmese origin maybe. Overall, it looks like it was put together from many things maybe at different times? Try cleaning the blade of rust and see what you get. Doesn't fit neatly in the named categories, so maybe you'll find many names meaning "knife", and I guess it is a low level tool and maybe a hunting knife since it has a stag handle. How is this connected to the handle, does the handle wrap around the antler or is the antler stuck to the end of the handle?

Regards,
Emanuel
Hi Manalo

Thanks for trying. To answer your question the antler is stuck into the end of the handle, as I have another one that is very similar but where the antler is missing.
As for cleaning the blade of rust. How do I do that manually ?
The scabbard fits perfectly on the knife.
The guy who gave it to me comes from Burma and lives in Taiwan, but says it was bought buy someone else in Xin Jiang western China and given to him many years ago. He has now given it to me. and on it goes!
Old 18th January 2007, 04:57 AM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

Fenlander,
One of the easiest ways I've found to remove rust like this is to use Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish (found in just about any automotive department) and 0000 steel wool. Clean the blade with ammonia to remove any oil and then wipe on a thin layer of the polish. Let it set for a couple of minutes. Put a small amount of the polish on the steel wool and rub the blade until the desired amount of rust is removed. This has worked well for me. Afterward wipe the blade clean with a clean soft cloth and wax (I use Ren Wax) to keep moisture off the blade. I hope that this helps.

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2007, 03:12 PM   #5
fenlander

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Coleman
Fenlander,
One of the easiest ways I've found to remove rust like this is to use Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish (found in just about any automotive department) and 0000 steel wool. Clean the blade with ammonia to remove any oil and then wipe on a thin layer of the polish. Let it set for a couple of minutes. Put a small amount of the polish on the steel wool and rub the blade until the desired amount of rust is removed. This has worked well for me. Afterward wipe the blade clean with a clean soft cloth and wax (I use Ren Wax) to keep moisture off the blade. I hope that this helps.

Robert
Thank you. I will try that. I will also save this post for future reference.

I will re-post when polished.
Old 18th January 2007, 03:39 PM   #6
spiral

It looks like a barking or water deer antler from Nepal,Assam, Burma, Thailand ,Veitnam or even Indonesia.

Good old kukri sometimes have them as karda handles. The Naga use them on necklaces, probaly other things to.

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2007, 06:33 AM   #7
fenlander

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
It looks like a barking or water deer antler from Nepal,Assam, Burma, Thailand ,Veitnam or even Indonesia.

Good old kukri sometimes have them as karda handles. The Naga use them on necklaces, probaly other things to.

Spiral
I think the antlers are from Formosan (Taiwanese) barking deer. So probably the antler was added in Taiwan at a later date.