Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 1st November 2014, 02:37 PM   #1
A.alnakkas

Default Markings on Badawi Saifs - Information needed.

Hello all,

As some of you know, lately I have been focusing on collecting Saudi/gulf saifs. I have managed to gather a few and noticed something on examples coming from the Gulf. The spines are marked like in the included picture.

Examples I have in my collection with such markings:

1- late 19th century to early 20th century Saif made by a famous Riyadh craftsman that was the previous government sword/jambiya supplier. (photos on this post) the blade is Indian wootz, with a high polish so the pattern is very hard to photograph.

2- mid 20th century example made by another famous Saudi craftsman that is still alive (one of the reasons why I want to travel to KSA is to meet him) the blade is German clauberg, has a high polish and the spine is also marked but having a hard time photographing it. Atleast it was marked before the polish.

3- mid 20th century example probably made of a currently unidentified maker (I am getting some information that he is from Ehsa and I managed to identify his nephews who are still alive and still in profession. But I cannot be certain) the blade is a slender wootz blade that had marking aswell but my Qatari friend who given me the sword etched it for me, revealing the wootz pattern but also masking the markings at the spine.

Pictures of the first examples included in the post. Note the picture of the spine markings.

Other two examples I cannot provide photos of the spine.. so you have to take my words for it :-)
Attached Images

A.alnakkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2014, 02:40 PM   #2
A.alnakkas

2nd example with the German blade. The markings are visible but very hard to photograph, likely done before the sword was polished.
Attached Images

Old 1st November 2014, 02:44 PM   #3
A.alnakkas

3rd: Spine markings on this one is almost gone. BUT good thing I saw it before. Anyone have any idea what these markings mean? and do such marks exist on examples from other cultures?

Note: I saw this on blades from different countries, so its not made by an exporting country.
Attached Images

Old 10th February 2015, 05:04 PM   #4
A.alnakkas

hope this photo shows the notching better. Anyone have any idea if other cultures do such notches and marks on blades? These are all old swords, but even the recent ones coming from KSA have the notches.
Attached Images