Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 21st February 2005, 02:10 AM   #1
moose

Question Phillipine word ID

I've got what I believe to be a Vishayan Bolo with the word CALACIAO deeply stamped on one side.
Anybody know what this means?

Underneath is a symbol that others have talked about. Maybe two opposing P's except the stem is not long enough to be P's.
A stretch would be stylized diminutive Cockatoo's. One facing each way.
It could be part of the Vishayan Alphabet? Any Help?

Thanks,
moose
moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2005, 04:55 AM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Moose:

This is most likely a place name.

It may be Calasiao, a well known town in the Province of Pangasinan and located in the Ilocos region of northern Luzon.

I did not find Calaciao or a similar name in the Visayas.

It would be very helpful if you could post a picture of your bolo. Does it have a chisel-ground or "V"-edge?

Ian.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2005, 03:21 PM   #3
moose

Arrow

"It would be very helpful if you could post a picture of your bolo. Does it have a chisel-ground or "V"-edge?"

Yup,
I figured as much but I wanted to see if I could slide by since I hadn't uploaded any pictures yet. Thanks, Ian for forcing me to give it a try.

So here's my best attempt after several cups of coffee.

This bolo is 24" oa. Blade is 17 3/4" oa measured from the bolster. It's chisle-ground on the side facing in the picture.

The acquisition of this piece is one of those wonderful stories that I'm sure you all have. And it has brought me back to this forum for the last couple of years.

Any and all thoughts about it would be appreciated.

moose
Attached Images

Old 21st February 2005, 03:46 PM   #4
moose

Talking Sucess!!

Well, that went well even though it wasn't without it's problems. But I've got it now. You might come to regret setting me loose to post pictures Ian.

Ok, now for some questions.
First I considered this a Pinuti even though it's not sharpened on the top edge but I may be way off.
How about the "browned" finish? Ever see that on other Indio/Asian pieces? Reminds me of something you would see on a old muzzleloader rifle.
The piece seems to have only been sharpened once "wrong"
A poor job but not too excessive. They didn't seem to understand it was chisel ground. They only hit both sides lightly.

You can't see the worm holes in the butt end of the hilt but you can see the white spots. They are quite stubborn and seem to permeate the handle. They won't scrape off and come back after an oiling. I have seen them before on other grips. I believe this grip and the others with spots to be Carabo horn.

Has anybody seen the spots on other materials?

Thanks,
moose
Old 21st February 2005, 04:03 PM   #5
LabanTayo

For one thing, thats not Visayan. Its from Luzon. Its a common blade profile and hilt, but its a nicely carved hilt. Maybe less than 50 years old.
LabanTayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2005, 04:52 PM   #6
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Ilocano knife

This one could well be an Ilocano knife, judging from the handle profile. In which case the name is probably an alternative spelling for the town of Calasiao.

Ian.
Old 21st February 2005, 05:37 PM   #7
moose

Arrow

Ian,
Can you help me with Calasiao. It's not one of the chartered cities in Pangasinan
Provence. Is it coastal or more inland? What is it well known for?

moose
Old 21st February 2005, 07:00 PM   #8
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Default Calasiao

Moose:

I visited Pangasinan in 1999 and stopped in Calasiao for a few hours. Quite a nice little town. It is just inland from the Lingayen Gulf, south of the coastal town of Dagupan. There is a map of the area here: http://www.asiatravel.com/philippine...gasinanmap.jpg

The town is perhaps best known for its religious icon: Sanctuario Del Señor Divino Tesoro is located beside the municipal building of Calasiao. Devotees claim that the enshrined statue grew as a "small boy" to what is now the image of Jesus Christ on the cross. There is also a very old catholic Church built during the Spanish era. The first church, built in 1582, was destroyed by fire in 1736. Today the lovely Church of Saints Peter and Paul stands there, which was built in 1753 and completed in 1858.

For me the real treat was across from the Plaza and diagonally opposite the church wherea row of stalls of the Calasiao Puto Producers is located. The puto (rice cake) from Calasiao is said to be the best in the Philippines. It is sold in markets all over Pangasinan, and is put on a bus to Manila each day to be sold there. Good stuff – moist and not overly sweet.

Ian.

Last edited by Ian; 21st February 2005 at 11:14 PM.
Old 21st February 2005, 07:20 PM   #9
moose

Arrow Calasiao

Thanks Ian,

I was in the right area but it did not show up on several maps I looked at.

Always nice to hear the little side stories to give more flavor to an area you haven't been yourself.

Laban Tayo,
Thank you for your input. I didn't figure it very old. But it has a good sharp blade and a solid peened over through the hilt grip.
I use it as one of my "swingers" for fma practice. Helps keep me from handling my nicer stuff too much.

Anybody else had the white specks show up on horn grips?

moose