Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 18th November 2005, 11:35 PM   #1
Robert
EAAF Staff

Default My First Barong

This is the first barong that I have ever purchased and know absolutely nothing about them. I'm hoping to get an idea as to its age and origin so all comments are welcome. One reason that I purchased this is because of the bone ferrell which I have never seen before. Sorry about the picture quality.

blade lenth is 14-3/16 inch
blade thickness at hilt 3/16 inch
blade width at widest 2-1/4 inch
total lenth 19-1/4 inches
Attached Images

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th November 2005, 10:14 PM   #2
Robert
EAAF Staff

Here are a few better pictures. I hope that with these there will be enough information for someone will give their opinion as to the age of this piece.
Attached Images

Old 21st November 2005, 12:05 AM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

I WOULD GUESS THAT THE BLADE IS PROBABLY NOT OLDER THAN WW2 BASED ON ITS THICKNESS AND SIZE. THE HANDLE IS PROBABLY MORE RECENT BUT ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO TELL FROM THE PHOTOS. IT IS VERY UNUSUAL FOR A BARONG TO HAVE A BONE GRIP LIKE YOURS IT DOES LOOK GOOD THOUGH. I SUSPECT IT MIGHT BE EITHER HORSE BONE OR WATERBUFFALOW. THEY USE BONE QUITE A LOT ON HANDLES FOR THE BUTTERFLY KNIVES MADE IN LUZON CURRENTLY, I HAVE ALSO SEEN IT USED AS INLAY ON A FEW SCABBARDS OF OLDER KNIVES. THE BLADE MIGHT HAVE A NICE PATTERN AS THERE WERE STILL SOME BEING MADE BEFORE AND AFTER WW2 OF COURSE I COULD BE WRONG AND IT MIGHT BE A OLDER BLADE. PRETTY NICE FOR A FIRST
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 08:32 AM   #4
Robert
EAAF Staff

Vandoo,
Thank you for the information. Like I said, this is my first. I thought the bone grip made it look quite a bit different than all the ones that you usually see show up on e-bay and I got it for a ridiculously low price and could not pass it up. The blade looks to be very well made and it would not surprise me to find out that it is older than WWII. Thanks again.

Robert