Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Keris Warung Kopi
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 3rd July 2007, 07:01 AM   #1
Buntel Mayit

Default A foundation for examining the quality of a keris blade

Dear Keris Aficionados

I realize that there are several approaches to appraise the quality of a keris blade. What I need to know are various systems used by keris enthusiasts here when they are in a condition of appraising a keris blade—what is the most important element has to be assessed to the least important element. I hope it can be used to develop metrics based on various systems/approaches available. I don’t know whether it is possible for us to develop general acceptance system. However, by getting as much as possible of approaches from this forum, we can develop a comprehensive system comprised of all identified factors by employing factor analysis.
Buntel Mayit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 01:50 PM   #2
David
Keris forum moderator

This old thread might give you a good start and help us keep from needlessly going over old ground.
http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000307.html
There is also a part two to this thread. This is from the old forum from the years 2000-2004. When searching for information i would like to encourage people to search the old forum as well as this one. We have been talking about keris for quite some time around here.
I dug up Pt. 2 as well:
http://www.vikingsword.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000402.html
Between them ther are many pages of dicussion (and argument) on this topic. I highly recommend that before anyone adds to this thread that they thoroughly read through these old pages to see where we have already been.
David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 02:09 PM   #3
Alam Shah

Post Classics...

Actually, it had been added to the Classics sticky thread on the 1st page of when you enter Keris Warung Kopi. Just a gentle reminder.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 11:36 PM   #4
A. G. Maisey

As David and Alam Shah have pointed out, there has already been a lot of ground covered on this subject. I haven't read the posts about this subject for years, but my memory of it is that it went in interminable circles. I don't think there was ever a lot of good, solid down to earth useable info came out of all those thousands---maybe hundreds of thousands---of words.Don't misunderstand me, there was a heap of info in there, but I don't think that anybody, after reading it, could use what he had learnt to go out a buy himself a "good keris".

This is just about as I would expect, because appraisal of a keris is pretty much like appraisal of any other art work. The objective is to ascertain market value, but sometimes---as with any art work---market value moves in a direction that is not necessarily related to quantifiable quality.

Even if one ignores the question of value, and only concentrates on the physically quantifiable aspects of the work, to use an analytical approach where we specify the characteristics that should be found in the various features of a blade , is not really all that practical, because although we could come to a decision on the quality of the craftsmanship by using such an approach, we could not assess the art component because--- as with any art work--- that appraisal is subjective, and can only be effectively carried out by somebody with appropriate training and experience.

It is possible to appraise value to a limited degree by looking at components used in a complete keris, not just the blade. Gold is worth more than brass. Diamonds are worth more than rosecut rock crystal.However, no matter what materials are used, if the art factor is missing, the item is not worth as much as if the art factor were present.

Then there are the differences in standards between people with a keris interest in the western world, and people with an interest in keris in Jawa. Generally speaking, the western world collectors much prefer keris with high visual impact. Generally speaking, the collectors in Jawa much prefer keris with high prestige impact.The difference in the societies dictates what is favoured in those societies. What is desireable in Jawa, may not be particularly desireable in Sydney, or New York. And vice versa.

Even if we could come to agreement on some universal standard, I do not believe that even the most knowledgeable of us could pass our knowledge on to others by way of written words and internet photographs. In my opinion, what is needed is years and years and years of hands on experience. This cannot be replaced with photos and words.

What would perhaps be achieveable would be to specify standards of craftsmanship.This at least would be the beginning of an understanding of what goes to make a better than average keris.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 10:43 AM   #5
Montino Bourbon

Default Please excuse my ignorance...

But what is 'prestige impact'? It sounds incredibly interesting, and, frankly, abstruse.

If it's not too much trouble, or does not repeat info written elsewhere, I would like you to define it.
Montino Bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 10:59 AM   #6
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Then there are the differences in standards between people with a keris interest in the western world, and people with an interest in keris in Jawa. Generally speaking, the western world collectors much prefer keris with high visual impact. Generally speaking, the collectors in Jawa much prefer keris with high prestige impact.The difference in the societies dictates what is favoured in those societies. What is desireable in Jawa, may not be particularly desireable in Sydney, or New York. And vice versa.
Dear Alan,
It would be better if you specify, which Jawa do people much prefer keris with high prestige impact. In Surakarta, yes, you are exactly right. But not in Yogyakarta -- which lies only 64 km distance, but the people have a very different taste with Surakarta. Yogyakarta people much prefer the originality, and the simplicity. And event don't wnat to touch the "gebyar keris" of Solo or Surakarta style... You will feel that atmosphere in Yogyakarta.

Surakarta's taste, is more "gebyar" (glamour, glitter) but Yogyakarta's taste is very simple. Yogya is extremely different, though so close...

Ganjawulung
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 11:51 AM   #7
cahaya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjawulung
Dear Alan,
Surakarta's taste, is more "gebyar" (glamour, glitter) but Yogyakarta's taste is very simple. Yogya is extremely different, though so close...

Ganjawulung
you right Gonjo....., i like yogyakarta style is very simple
cahaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2007, 02:06 PM   #8
A. G. Maisey

Prestige can come from many things, but it has one common characteristic:- it raises ones profile in the target community.

If one were to buy a Ferrari and use it to go to the supermarket, one has a prestige object and is using it gain prestige.

On the other hand, if one were to deny oneself of worldly possessions and comfort, and work tirelessly for the betterment of humanity, one is also placing oneself in a situation where one gains prestige.

The concept of "prestige" in a keris does not necessarily rest in a gold selut studded with diamonds. It can equally rest in a keris that is believed to possess extreme spiritual presence. It can even rest in the rumour of possession of a particular keris.

It is unnecessary to define "which Jawa". The social mores are universal, only their expression differs, and that difference is in superficialities.
Old 5th July 2007, 03:13 AM   #9
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
Then there are the differences in standards between people with a keris interest in the western world, and people with an interest in keris in Jawa. Generally speaking, the western world collectors much prefer keris with high visual impact. Generally speaking, the collectors in Jawa much prefer keris with high prestige impact.
It is still sound discriminative to me, and regarding that westerner is more perfect than the easterner, or even Javanese.... Soryy for this impression.

Ganjawulung
Old 5th July 2007, 03:34 AM   #10
A. G. Maisey

I find that a very interesting comment, Pak Ganja.

Are you able to explain in which way you find my remarks to be of a discriminatory nature?

Exactly what have I written that could cause you to think I am making remarks that discriminate against Javanese people, and in favour of people from western cultures.

I am certain that your answer will be fascinating.
Old 5th July 2007, 03:44 AM   #11
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganjawulung
It is still sound discriminative to me, and regarding that westerner is more perfect than the easterner, or even Javanese.... Soryy for this impression.
Ganjawulung
Ganja, i am sorry that you get this impression from Alan's words, but i hardly think that was his intention. Rather than implying that the Westerner's view is more "prefect" it implies to me just the opposite, the tendency of the Westerner to be drawn to a keris merely for it's visual appearence rather than having a better understanding of it's spiritual nature or the cultural context that a particular keris may have within it's own particular Indonesian society. In other words, we Westerners have a tendency to like something for it's surface appearence, because it is "just another pretty face" without getting to know the deeper truth behind the "face". Now this isn't true of all Westerners either, it is merely a generalization. I don't, for instance, believe it is true for myself. I own many keris that certainly wouldn't win any "beauty contests" in the Western mind set, but they definitely have a kind of character to them that make them very valuable to me. But as a general rule of thumb i would agree that most Westerner collectors look for a keris that will "wow!" them visual first without taking into account concepts of social prestige and spiritual power.
Old 5th July 2007, 04:23 AM   #12
A. G. Maisey

Rather than get involved in a discussion where no matter what I say, I will be damned for discrimination against somebody, I'll tell you a story.

In days past when we still had gunshows in Sydney, I used to take a table at those shows and try to sell keris, eastern edged weapons, and all sorts of other little bits and pieces. The keris were the centrepiece, and I'd put up a good mix of old and new, low price, high price, rare and common.

I'd present them so that the blade as well as the dress could be seen.

I would always include one or two very good, very expensive old Javanese keris.

Prices were never shown, anybody wishing to buy any keris needed to engage me in conversation.

During more than twenty years of going along to these shows with my bag of keris I never sold one good, old, Javanese keris. Not one.

In fact, during all that time not a single potential buyer was sufficiently attracted to the good, old Javanese keris that I had on offer to even pick one up and enquire the price.

I sold a lot of current era Madura keris with brilliant pattern welded pamor blades.

I sold a lot of keris that had very high visual impact.

I sold a lot of keris that really packed an artistic punch.

I did not sell, or even get one enquiry about the very good quality, old Javanese keris that were on the table.

Western collectors in general, have an entirely different set of standards and requirements to the standards and requirements of Javanese collectors. I am in the very fortunate position where I understand both sets of standards. I can understand the Javanese point of view --- yes Pak Ganja, both Solo and Jogjakarta, as well as East Jawa and Jakarta --- and I also understand the point of view of the bulk of western collectors. I do not regard one set of standards as inferior or superior. Each set of standards is a reflection of the society in which each group of collectors lives. Similarly, I do not regard one society or culture as inferior or superior:- I regard both as equals, and both as flawed in some aspects.
Old 5th July 2007, 01:57 PM   #13
David
Keris forum moderator

Thanks Alan for clarifying your position even further. I am sure that nothing more needs to be said in this regard and would like to see the discussion back on track, so if anyone needs Alan to clarify his postion even further i suggest that it be done in PMs, not on the open boards.
Old 5th July 2007, 08:44 PM   #14
kai

Hello Alan,

Quote:
During more than twenty years of going along to these shows with my bag of keris I never sold one good, old, Javanese keris. Not one.
What would have been the lower end range of keris you consider good & old?

Quote:
In fact, during all that time not a single potential buyer was sufficiently attracted to the good, old Javanese keris that I had on offer to even pick one up and enquire the price.
I have to admit that this surprised me. It's a safe guess that many beginning collectors are tempted by the more gaudy pieces but not a single collector experienced with old keris in 20 years? Amazing...

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2007, 02:41 AM   #15
A. G. Maisey

My attendances at these shows stopped about 6 or 7 years ago, so I cannot recall in detail exactly what I might have offered at any particular show, however, in broad terms, low end would have been something like a Tuban wengkon in Jogja timoho with mamas, high end would have been Kinom , probably in new Solo wrongko with silver. Both blades would have been in a good state of preservation.

Its not so much a matter of:-

"---beginning collectors are tempted by the more gaudy pieces but not a single collector experienced with old keris in 20 years? ---"

Yes, certainly it is possible to offer quite spectacular keris when working with current era material, and when I do offer this type of thing I have invariably offered the very best that I have been able to obtain, within each specific value range, so there would have been a number of keris on display with very high visual and artistic impact. I believe that most collectors based in the western world will invariably be attracted to a keris with a very high level of craftsmanship, combined with good artistic interpretation.

Right alongside these "Playboy Centrefolds" we have two or three old blades with a slightly subdued finish, smaller, thinner, the workmanship when measured by universal craft standards, almost invariably inferior. A Javanese gentleman with considerable experience in keris would recognise what they were. A western collector , even one with 30 or 40 years of experience in keris, all or most of it obtained in the western world, would only see some rather unremarkable old blades. If that western collector had bothered to ask prices, he would probably have died of a heart attack when he learnt that the thin, old , unremarkable blade with wos wutah pamor in worn dress had a ticket that was multiples of the brave, spectacular blade with brilliantly executed pamor ron duru, complete with Solo ladrang, silver pendok, and gem studded selut.

The western based collector has in general, built his collection on quality craftsmanship, art, and value for money.

The collector in Jawa has in general, built his collection on cultural values which apply within Jawa, but are for the most part not recognised outside Jawa.

One set of standards is not superior to the other, within the societal context where they exist.

David, I recognise your advice as an attempt to prevent a fire before it occurs. I assure you, for my part, I will be adding no fuel to any little flames that may happen to arise. However, in order to answer Kai's question in a manner that would not mislead, I have found it necessary to expand as I have done above.
Old 6th July 2007, 03:03 PM   #16
David
Keris forum moderator

That's OK Alan. I don't see your reply as "fuel for the fire". In fact i believe the point you are trying to make is crucial to the original question of the thread. How do we appraise the value of a keris when different standards and collecting approaches exist not only between East and West (the most obvious), but also within the Indonesian culture frame itself? Ganja talks about the differences between Surakarta and Yogyakarta, but surely standards are even wider apart between, say, Surakarta and Terangganu. Then, of course, there is always a matter of simple personal preferences. Though much of what we like is influenced by our particular cultures there will always be those certain things that appeal on an individual basis.
I personally do not tend towards the general Western mold in my keris collection. I must admit that i do like to look at the "centerfolds", but i ask myself, do i really want one for my wife? To tell the truth i do have a couple in my collection that i got based on looks alone, but most of my collection is made up of older blades, not so much of the "high end" ones of which Alan speaks, but still, in my personal assessment, respectable blades...with "personality". I do understand the general Western desire for glamor and high levels of craftsmanship in their blades, but for me it is not the most important aspect for collection. That the keris "speaks" to me is far more important. Of course, since i rarely get to handle the keris i buy beforehand this can be a bit of a gamble. But i feel i have done remarkable well with this and i'm usual very pleased with my purchases once in hand. I think this could be due in part to the fact that i make most of my purchases from people i know who in turn have a good sense of my own personal tastes.
Old 6th July 2007, 09:20 PM   #17
kai

Hello Alan,

Quote:
in broad terms, low end would have been something like a Tuban wengkon in Jogja timoho with mamas, high end would have been Kinom , probably in new Solo wrongko with silver. Both blades would have been in a good state of preservation.
So these would start in the price range of a smaller 2nd hand car (in good state of preservation )?

BTW, what's the concept of an "old" keris (blade) in Jawa?

Quote:
A Javanese gentleman with considerable experience in keris would recognise what they were. A western collector , even one with 30 or 40 years of experience in keris, all or most of it obtained in the western world, would only see some rather unremarkable old blades.
So this boils down to wether one has a firm understanding of the tangguh system or not?

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2007, 02:43 PM   #18
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
Ganja, i am sorry that you get this impression from Alan's words, but i hardly think that was his intention. Rather than implying that the Westerner's view is more "prefect" it implies to me just the opposite, the tendency of the Westerner to be drawn to a keris merely for it's visual appearence rather than having a better understanding of it's spiritual nature or the cultural context that a particular keris may have within it's own particular Indonesian society. In other words, we Westerners have a tendency to like something for it's surface appearence, because it is "just another pretty face" without getting to know the deeper truth behind the "face".
Dear Alan and David,
Of course, I know that was not your intention. That was just my simple question, and no hard feeling for me. I am sorry for my misunderstanding...

Ganjawulung
Old 9th July 2007, 04:23 AM   #19
A. G. Maisey

G'day Kai,

An old blade in Jawa?

Depends who you talk to and the context of the conversation.

Can be pre Mataram, pre Mataram SA, pre PB X, pre 1980. Most usual Javanese and seriously accepted is pre Mataram, the later periods are regarded as "new" blades.My own interpretation is pre-WW II, which is probably more relevant to western collecting.

As to value, an old Tuban in old dress and mamas would not be all that pricey, no more so , really, than a decent current era blade in similar dress. But Kinom is costly enough to cause most people to proceed carefully, especially if in very good dress. Don't forget:- the value of a complete keris is the sum of its individual parts. A good Solo pendok can cost more than a pretty fair sort of blade.

Blade appraisal is based on tangguh. To be able to correctly appraise a blade, you do need a good understanding of tangguh --- as well as a lot of other things.

Kai, I'm a little uncomfortable with this talk of values. I feel that we are getting too close to the prohibition of no discussion relating to values. Possibly it may be as well to cease discussion in the open forum of value related things.

regards,

Alan.
Old 2nd August 2007, 06:10 AM   #20
Montino Bourbon

Default Dear Mr Maisey;

Could you put up a photo of a 'centerfold'-type keris or two and a few good old keris so we can see what you mean?
Montino Bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2007, 01:17 AM   #21
A. G. Maisey

I'm sorry Montino, but I would find that very difficult to do.

I do not , as a general rule, display keris from my private collection.

Keris that I have passed to other collectors, or intend to pass to other collectors cannot legitimately be shown in this Forum.

Possibly somebody else may be able to assist.