Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Old 26th September 2007, 04:39 AM   #1
Jason Anstey

Default Faak in restoration - pic intensive

Hi there
Faak is Thai for Scabbard

I thought I would post a couple of threads on some projects currently underway in Thailand organised through Serge at Cozun.

This is a nice old daab that I purchased off Mark Bowditch. It was featured in the History Of Steel Catalogue and was basically sold with out scabbard but Mark was kind enough to send me the damaged scabbard and surprising for both of us the silver rings, chape and fittings were all there. A couple of minor losses on part of the decoration on the chape, but it was a real bonus to have them at 95% intact.

As I had a largish commission with Serge he was kind enough to contact his craftsmen about the restoration job of which they accepted the project - thanks Serge!

We decided on using Payung Deang timber for the scabbard. Here are the progress pics courtesy of Serge from Cozun.

1. Silversmith inspecting the sword
[IMG][/IMG]

2. Old scabbard with sword and new blank

[IMG][/IMG]

3. Two hands make light work

[IMG][/IMG]

4. Checking the fit

[IMG][/IMG]

5. Blank ready for shaping

Stay tuned!

Cheers

Jason
Jason Anstey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2007, 02:35 AM   #2
Jason Anstey

Default wow, faak it's done!

...as promised here are the progress shots and finished item.

"It was a delicate and long process to fabricate this scabbard, due to the thin and narrow walls of the two scabbard halves, especially around the 1/3 of the scabbard's tip/end."

"the smith examining the sword estimated the sword to be 100+ years old"

THanks again to Serge for organising a difficult resoration project, as most of who dabble in restorations know, it is almost always easlier and quicker to make a new blade and scabbard rather than attempt to use an existing blade with fittings and remake.

Cheers

JAson
Jason Anstey is offline   Reply With Quote