Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Miscellania
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 14th April 2015, 03:49 PM   #1
Valjhun

Default Conch shell watering can?

Interesting and decorative object.

A conch shell made into a watering can or maybe pitcher or something like that - almost sure that it was made to contain liquid.

The handle is from silvered brass and it is hollow.

At a first look, the metal handle in form of a stork head seems like a Qajar work to me.

Any ideas?
Attached Images

Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2015, 09:19 AM   #2
colin henshaw

What an amazing surreal object. I don't have much idea as to origin, the only area I know of that makes use of silver over a shell, with gems etc inlaid...is Tibet...
colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 04:20 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Thumbs up

THE SHELL IS IN THE VOLUTE FAMILY, PERHAPS THE OBJECT IS CEREMONIAL FOR THE PURPOSE OF POURING SOME LIBATION OR DRINKING SAME DURING CEREMONIES. THE METAL PROTECTING THE EDGE OF THE SHELL LIP INDICATES TO ME THAT IT WAS MEANT TO BE USED NOT JUST LOOKED AT. JUST A GUESS AS SUCH OBJECTS ARE IN USE IN VARIOUS CULTURES AND ARE TOO SMALL FOR A WATERING CAN.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 05:26 PM   #4
Valjhun

Interesting deductinons, thanks. I studied a couple of oriental art books and it strikes me more likely meiji japanese in style than qajar. Japanese are known to use conch shells like that for horns in the edo era.
Valjhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2015, 11:57 PM   #5
A. G. Maisey

Looks exactly like Bali Tourist to me.

They produce a lot of silver-mounted stuff based on shells --- ashtrays, jewellery boxes & trays, pretty little cabinet objects. Plated brass is often used in more recent pieces or where the cost of silver would be too high.

I've been seeing similar stuff to this for the last 40 years.

Confirmation on origin might be able to be obtained by identification of the shell:- if its something that comes from the area around Bali, its odds on my guess is close to the mark.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote