Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16th June 2010, 02:52 PM   #1
CharlesS

Default A Filipino Oddity....A Pir-Rong???!!!

When I found this piece I recognised what an anomaly it was and at first thought it was some sort of presentation piece or touristy conglomeration. But having now handled the piece it's clear it has been much used, has a heavy patina all over, and the carved belt loop still has fiber remains inside. This piece was all "born together", and was meant to see service. The seller said it was a WW2 bring back and at first I thought 'no-way...maybe 1960s'..., but now I see no reason to doubt the original description.

I am calling it yet another form of Pir-Rong(part Pira, part Barong), as I did a thread several years ago on a different combination by the same name.

Note:

*Moro Pira style blade. It's thick, heavy and very sharp.

*The hilt has a Moro barong style pommel with poorly executed "crests", but the ferrule and short guard is Bogobo or T'boli in style and is cast.

*The scabbard is clearly an attempt to immitate a barong scabbard, with added belt loop and brass dragon crests and floral motifs pinned on.

Would love to hear any and all opinions!!
Attached Images

CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote