Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 8th June 2012, 04:47 PM   #1
Paul

Default Iron lance: comments and advice please

Hello Gentlemen,
I recently bought this iron lance on ebay (photos below). I would appreciate any comments on the spear's likely age, its probable origins and how much I should clean it up, if I keep it.

It was advertised as an antique african spear. I thought it was probably a tuareg allarh. When the spear arrived today, I noticed what appears to be a brazed diagonal join in the middle of the spear. This join is the only part of the spear which was not photographed close up when it was advertised. I thought the whole of the spear had been photographed close up but these few inches appear to have been omitted.

I am not knowledgable enough to know if such a join can be antique or if I have bought a more modern artifact, thinking it antique. I do not want to jump to conclusions based on my limited knowledge. Can anyone set me straight on this please?

I have been an appreciative visitor to your forum for some months now. It is a wonderful source of information. I have a few spears I would love to post photos of for comment and advice but the fear of having made a mistake with this one has finally pushed me into action.

If I do keep the spear, is it going to ruin the value if I give it a good rub with wire wool so the iron and the brass shine out?

Many thanks.

Paul
Attached Images

Paul is offline   Reply With Quote