Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 25th March 2017, 06:03 PM   #1
rickystl

Default New Gun Accessories

Hello all.

You can't attend the Baltimore Show and return home empty handede. At least I can't. LOL. Just some shooting accessories to add to my collection.

First is a Barudan. And a nice one. Wood with tooled leather and an ivory/bone spout and stopper. Almost perfect condition. Probably mid to late 19th Century. Central or Northern India (I think). Will look good with my Torador musket. From Oriental Arms booth.
Second is another flask from South India (I think). In the shape of a fish. Hand painted with wear on the left side. Missing it's stopper. But I have a piece of walrus and Indian Elephant ivory I can use to make a new spout. Unusual piece. Also from Oriental Arms booth.
Third is an Ottoman style powder measure. Forgot which booth I found this. I've seen these before. But this one is in especially good shape. The gauge lowers by friction. And this one is nice and snug. No wobble. Perfectly usable.
Anyway, hope you enjoy the pics. And thanks for looking.

Rick
Attached Images

rickystl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2017, 06:05 PM   #2
rickystl

SOME MORE PICS..........
Attached Images

Old 25th March 2017, 06:06 PM   #3
rickystl

LAST PICS...........
Attached Images

Old 25th March 2017, 08:25 PM   #4
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Interesting exhibits. In my view Rajastan may hold some clues for the Barudan and Fish Barudan . The stopper on the big brown Barudan looks similar to some of those at https://www.google.com/search?q=raja...w=1366&bih=662 Perhaps it is Ivory or more likely a camel bone stopper. The painted fish is typical for India and I have seen a lot from Rajastan.
The Ottoman form brass scoop is classic. They are found across the region.
Ibrahiim al Balooshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 01:32 AM   #5
thinreadline

Extremely nice , thanks for sharing .
thinreadline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 08:12 AM   #6
Kubur

Hi Rick,
Finally new stuff! Congratulations!
#1 I like very much the leather, in very good condition.
I wonder if it could be something from Afghanistan or Central Asia...
#2 in my dream list, the problem is that i saw few of them on epray and i wonder if they are genuine or just if they were powder flasks... Is it wood or papier mache? If it's lacquered wood, ok for South India if it's papier mache i would say Nothern India...
#3 welcome to the club!
Best,
Kubur
Kubur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 04:11 PM   #7
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
Interesting exhibits. In my view Rajastan may hold some clues for the Barudan and Fish Barudan . The stopper on the big brown Barudan looks similar to some of those at https://www.google.com/search?q=raja...w=1366&bih=662 Perhaps it is Ivory or more likely a camel bone stopper. The painted fish is typical for India and I have seen a lot from Rajastan.
The Ottoman form brass scoop is classic. They are found across the region.
Hi Ibrahiim.

Thanks for your response and the Link. Yes, the spout assembly is probably camel bone. And, as you mention, the powder measure seems to be common across the Region. I too have seen a few offered on-line. But it was nice to be able to inspect this one first and note the good working conditon. And get it for a reasonable price. Thanks again.

Rick
Old 26th March 2017, 04:21 PM   #8
rickystl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubur
Hi Rick,
Finally new stuff! Congratulations!
#1 I like very much the leather, in very good condition.
I wonder if it could be something from Afghanistan or Central Asia...
#2 in my dream list, the problem is that i saw few of them on epray and i wonder if they are genuine or just if they were powder flasks... Is it wood or papier mache? If it's lacquered wood, ok for South India if it's papier mache i would say Nothern India...
#3 welcome to the club!
Best,
Kubur
Hi Kubur.

Thanks for your response. Yes, the Barudan is in really nice shape. This is the first one I've owned, so very happy to add this to my collection. One curiosity: All of these seem to be fairly large in size. I've never seen one that is small to medium in size. Artzi said that he has never seen a smaller one either. Just curious.
The Fish flask is wood. I think most of these you see on line (usually made of metal and smaller in size) are Tourist items. This one looks quite old. I'll post it again after the stopper is made.

Rick