Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 7th May 2005, 11:22 PM   #1
Jacob

Default Is this a Lombok sword?

This is supposed to be a Lombok sword. The blade looks like pedang lurus, handle resembles balinese ceremonial knife from Zonnenweld. Could anyone provide any more info on it? It spent 3 days in pineapple juice, so most of the rust is gone. Should I blacken it?
Attached Images

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2005, 11:53 PM   #2
CharlesS

This sword could certainly be from Lumbok, but the influences are Balinese, as are many Lumbok keris influences. The blade appears older, say late 19th Cent. or so. The hilt may be old as well, and seems to be quality carving in horn. I believe the scabbard and silver encasement are much later.
CharlesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2005, 12:31 AM   #3
tom hyle

Lovely blade.
tom hyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2005, 06:40 AM   #4
Conogre

In recent years, many outstabding knives, both newer and old have come out of Lombok, with the majority seeming to be variations of styles commonly seen in other areas of the region.
Here's one that was immediately ID'd by the owner of one of our finest keris collections as a wedung, primarily used in cutting away funiery shrouds, while another highly esteemed member has one of similar quality in his private collection that he steadfastly refers to as a "Philippine Knife".....while it's not the court wedung of "Stone's", it's undoubtedly the same blade modified for use nearby in a similar fashion.
My supposition is that the smiths of Lombak at some point assumed the role similar to those of other "crossroads" trading areas, such as Zanzibar, Algiers , Morocco and certain towns/villages in India and Indonesia, "Solingens of the Eastern world".
Mike
Attached Images

Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2005, 08:02 PM   #5
Henk

I don't know how long the blade is. My first impression was a ceremonial knife from Bali as shown in the book by Van Zonneveld on the first color page and on page 112.
Looking at the blade it looks more like a pedang. I don't think it is a pedang lurus but an other pedang variety, probably from Java or Bali.
Nice blade by the way with that Singha on it.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2005, 09:42 PM   #6
capt.smash

Awsome blade jacob ...looks like a nice pammor ..any chance of more clearer pics?
capt.smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2005, 07:51 AM   #7
Boedhi Adhitya

Nice blade. If you wish to look the pamor more clearly, you should etch/blacken it
Boedhi Adhitya is offline   Reply With Quote