Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Go Back   Ethnographic Arms & Armour > Discussion Forums > Ethnographic Weapons
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 20th July 2011, 11:51 AM   #1
colin henshaw

Default Dayak ? hat for ID

Hi

This is a recent acquisition. Not a weapon, although its quite strong and rigid so might serve as head protection of a kind. There are a number of collectors and experts of South East Asian material on the forum, so can anyone kindly help out with identification ?

I am thinking maybe Dayak, with the beadwork over the plaited fibre, or perhaps elsewhere in that region...

Ideas on identification, comments and references welcome. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Gavin Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin henshaw
Hi

This is a recent acquisition. Not a weapon, although its quite strong and rigid so might serve as head protection of a kind. There are a number of collectors and experts of South East Asian material on the forum, so can anyone kindly help out with identification ?

I am thinking maybe Dayak, with the beadwork over the plaited fibre, or perhaps elsewhere in that region...

Ideas on identification, comments and references welcome. Thanks in advance.
Congrats, I was the under bidder.

A real nice piece. I too only knew I liked it and I thought likely from the Assam regions but as you note there are those more versed in these.

I wait with interest and if you ever get sick of it......

Gav
Gavin Nugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 04:29 PM   #3
VANDOO
(deceased)

Smile

IT STRIKES ME AS AFRICAN,
MOST DAYAK BEADED HATS I HAVE SEEN ARE MORE OF THE LARGE COOLIE FORM AND THE OTHER CEREMONIAL HATS I HAVE SEEN LOOK NOTHING LIKE THIS ONE. NICE HAT REGARDLESS.

SEVERAL PICTURES. SOME OF LARGE SUN HAT, MOST ARE PLAIN BUT CEREMONIAL ONES ARE CLOTH COVERED WITH A FANCY BEADED DESIGN IN THE CENTER ON TOP. THREE PICTURES OF THIS TYPE ONE BEING WORN IN THE FIELD, ONE COMPLETE HAT TOP VIEW AND ONE BEADED PANNEL FOR A HAT (NOT ON A HAT).
ONE PICTURE OF FOUR CEREMONIAL HATS OF THE ORANG ULU THREE WHITE AND ONE YELLOW.
ONE PICTURE OF ANOTHER HAT TYPE WITH FEATHERS.
PICTURES OF VARIOUS HATS WORN BY DAYAK WARRIORS.

I ADDED SOME PICTURES OF THE BORORO (FULANI) TRIBE NORTHERN NIGERIA, SALT FESTIVAL GARB AND HATS. NOT A EXACT MATCH BUT AFRICAN FOR COMPARISON

YES I HAVE A HAT COLLECTION TOO. I AM A VERY SICK MAN!!
Attached Images

Last edited by VANDOO; 21st July 2011 at 12:14 AM.
VANDOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 09:19 PM   #4
asomotif

Nice hat, but nothing to do with dayak imho.
On Borneo everything is made with small strips of rattan.

This fibre makes me think of South East Asia main land or maybe even direction of China.
asomotif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:06 AM   #5
Indianajones

Hi Colin, I reckognise the hat as being North Philippine (as I'm a collector of that region). The duo colored cords and the triangles of white beads etc all are endemic to the Gaddangtribe or actually most of these so-called 'salakot' are described as being Tinguian tribe.
I included a quite vague pic (unfort.) of a chief n wife wearing such a hat. Searching on the term 'salakot' you would find some more examples I think, though perhaps more dome-shaped examples with fine weaving.

Hope this helps.
Wouter
Attached Images

Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:45 AM   #6
Indianajones

Just a quick add; love that Dayak picture of that man with the face on its hat, Vandoo! (and the nice mandau) -not seen it before-

Just add two pics of a salakot-hat I have made of a half calabash and adorned on the inside (!) with rings wounded with colored thread; quite strange but very fine also. Early 20th cent. example. Also have included a pic to show that particular colorcombination that is characteristic from the area; Gadangtribe/ Tinguian tribe (Abra province, Luzon, N.-Phil.)

This will perhaps understate my findings a bit to you all. Although I have not encountered this specific type before.
Also a thing to add; different types of 'salakot' were worn allover the Philippines, and most you find are probably from the Visaya's or South.

best, Wouter
Attached Images

Indianajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:22 PM   #7
Maurice

Hello Colin,

I've no idea of hats, but I had a quick look in the museumdatabase's.
The one that looks the most identical (just looking at the shape), is this one from Molucan island Ceram.

Maurice
Attached Images

Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 08:36 PM   #8
colin henshaw

Many thanks for the excellent responses about my hat. Quite a few options here to pick from. Perhaps Indianajones has the correct area ? as my hat has the same sort of coloured thread loop to the underside, as one of the Phillipine examples posted. (see image attached)

Any further ideas are welcome.

Regards
Colin
Attached Images

colin henshaw is offline   Reply With Quote